10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2008 1:07 PM by Roberthjones

I have 64-bit Vista on an HP laptop, and am having trouble with P4

I have 64-bit Vista on an HP laptop, and am having trouble with P4. When I go to the "Compatibility" tab in for the P4 .exe file, 32-bit Vista does not show up as a compatibility option. The latest version shown is XP with SP2. Am I missing something? Is there a patch or download that updates P4?(The problem I'm having is stuttering and stopping in the imported avi2 files I have downloaded from my Panasonic digital camcorder and converted from avi to avi2 using DVDate. Also, I get stuttering with digital photos - jpg files - that I want to insert in the movie with added narration.)
        • 1. Re: I have 64-bit Vista on an HP laptop, and am having trouble with P4
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          64-bit Vista should have the option for 32-bit compatibility mode. It's an operating system feature. Not a feature of Adobe software.

Meantime, for best performance, make sure your operating system if optimized, per the FAQs at the top of this forum.
          http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc448a7

And that your photos are no larger than 1000x750 pixels in size.
          http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bb8822c
          • 2. Re: I have 64-bit Vista on an HP laptop, and am having trouble with P4
            Level 1
            "When I go to the "Compatibility" tab in for the P4 .exe file, 32-bit Vista
            does not show up as a compatibility option. The latest version shown is XP
            with SP2. Am I missing something?"

That's because "Vista 32" is not needed. Programs modules that aren't
            marked as 64 bit don't run in 64 bit mode. Programs written for Vista 32
            bit will run in 32 bit on Vista 64 bit. You do need a compatibility option
            for programs written for XP and other versions of Windows because the
            programming interface is different and needs to be emulated.
            • 3. Re: I have 64-bit Vista on an HP laptop, and am having trouble with P4
              A.T. Romano Level 7
              Robert H. Jones,

I have seen Premiere Elements user reports in which they are looking for a "32 bit compatibility mode" setting in Vista 64 and coming up with comments like those of Max Blumeyer's non finding/comments. My reading on this matter suggests that Vista 64 does not have a 32 bit compatibility mode that the user switches to. Instead the Vista 64 operating system takes care of this as you suggest.

You say "Programs written for Vista 32 bit will run in 32 bit on Vista 64 bit." My reading on the matter suggests, when it comes to Vista 64, that 32 bit application .exe is installed to a special folder named "Program Files (x86)", whereas the 64 bit application .exe is installed to different folder named "Program Files".

I do not have Vista 32 or 64, but I was wondering if the installation of 32 bit application exe into the Program Files (x86) in effect constitutes the "32 bit compatibility mode" inherent in the Vista 64 operating system?

You appear to have had experience with this issue, whereas I am looking in from the outside and trying to put pieces of information together. I would appreciate any comments on my conclusions. Am I on the right track?
              • 4. Re: I have 64-bit Vista on an HP laptop, and am having trouble with P4
                Level 1
                A.T. Romano

It gets a little complicated. This is a simplification, but I hope this
                helps to visualize what's happening.

The 32 bit and 64 bit environments are separated from each other.
                There are separate program files directories, separate shared dll library
                directories, and even separate registry entries. You can't mix 32 and
                64 bit modules, and some applications, like Internet Explorer, install
                both a 32 bit and a 64 bit version on the same computer. (IE does that
                so it can process web pages that use 32 bit executable controls).

Vista 64 has 32 bit emulation built-in using a subsystem called Windows
                on Windows 64 or WOW64 for short. WOW64 intercepts 32 bit
                application calls to the operating system and handles the 32 to 64 bit
                conversions and the redirection of the file and registry locations.

The program files themselves contain flags that indicate whether they
                are 32 bit and whether the file uses the 64 bit version of the file
                structure.
                If the program is marked 32 bit, it will run in 32 bit using WOW64.

Programs are generally installed by an installer program which places
                the application files in the proper locations and writes the registry
                entries and any other setup tasks that are needed. To install a 64
                bit program, a 64 bit installer is needed. For 32 bit installers, the files
                and registry entries are redirected to the 32 bit locations.
                • 5. Re: I have 64-bit Vista on an HP laptop, and am having trouble with P4
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
                  So, Robert, are you saying that there's no need to run 32-bit emulation in Vista 64? That it happens automatically?
                  • 6. Re: I have 64-bit Vista on an HP laptop, and am having trouble with P4
                    Level 1
                    > So, Robert, are you saying that there's no need to run 32-bit emulation in
                    > Vista 64? That it happens automatically?

Yes, that's why there is no Vista 32 entry in the compatibility tab.

But, remember, there is another level of emulation and that's operating
                    system emulation. The services the operating system provides and how you
                    get to them differ from one operating system to the other. There is usually
                    some overlap, but some things differ significantly. When you set the
                    compatibility tab to a different version of Windows, you are telling your
                    current operating system to emulate the programming interface of that other
                    operating system so that programs written for that other operating system
                    can run on this one. In some cases, there is no equivalent function or
                    service and the old service cannot be emulated. Other programs may bypass
                    the programming interface and go in though the back door. In both those
                    cases, the program cannot be made compatible. Another problem that often
                    occurs is that the programmer made assumptions about the programming
                    environment (directory paths, registry keys, etc.) and hard coded them into
                    the program.
                    • 7. Re: I have 64-bit Vista on an HP laptop, and am having trouble with P4
                      A.T. Romano Level 7
                      Robert H. Jones,

Thanks for the basics of Vista 64 /32 bit emulation build in, using subsystem WOW64.

I now have a better understanding about what is going in this matter and can build on. Your comments on the other level of emulation as well as the hard coding/programming were very interesting and, among other things, merit looking into.
                      • 8. Re: I have 64-bit Vista on an HP laptop, and am having trouble with P4
                        Hi there,

From what has gone before,does this mean that Prem. Elements7 will run on Vista64?
                        Us oldies need it spelling out in words of 1 syllable, or at least this one does.
                        I am about to order a new computer, and if this is the case I will ask for Vista64 instead of XP.

Dave
                        • 9. Re: I have 64-bit Vista on an HP laptop, and am having trouble with P4
                          Can anyone help with this issue. I just bought $249 software. I am a new computer user. Software is non-returnable and manufacturer of the software say they won't refund unless i bought it from their website directly. I just found out about this 32 bit versus 64 bit thing with vista and I am fuming! My CoPilot Truck 11 software by (ALK) will not install on my 2 week old hp laptop and technicians at this place are no help and have basically said they have no help, no 64 bit software until next year and I just lost $249 hard earned dollars. I (assumed) because software said Vista on the box, that it would work with my computer. Talk about fixing to give up and go back to pen, paper, and maps. I have never encountered so much trouble all the sudden. I have a hp pavillion dv4-1120us-laptop. Thank you so much, if anyone can help me in my demise.
                          • 10. Re: I have 64-bit Vista on an HP laptop, and am having trouble with P4
                            Level 1
                            L Saaristo,

You might try http://www.laptopgpsworld.com/ . They have a sub forum
                            specifically for that software. I'm not familiar with that software, but a
                            brief search on it seems to indicate that it is not supported on Vista 64.
                            Even if you can get it to install, you probably need a 64 bit driver for the
                            GPS (which might not be available). It doesn't look promising. If you can't
                            return it for a refund, you might want to consider selling it on ebay to
                            recoup your loss.

You didn't give us enough information about the installation problem for us
                            to help.