32 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2008 4:32 PM by VideoJohnny

Top issues with Premiere Elements 7

Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
      This is not a thread that anyone will necessarily respond to or offer solutions for. It's just a chance for you to post your top concerns, frustrations or feature requests for version 7.

So vent away!
        • 1. Re: Top issues with Premiere Elements 7
          Level 1
          Improve quality of playing its own AVCHD preview files (Play them in Mediaplayer for comparison). Previewing has now a disgusting qaulity.
          Rob
          • 2. Re: Top issues with Premiere Elements 7
            Is this true even if you render the timeline (by pressing Enter and letting the program create a 'clean' preview), Robert?
            • 3. Re: Top issues with Premiere Elements 7
              Ed.Macke Level 3
              I've been asking since v3.0, and apparently it's not in v7.0 yet, so....

Keyframed time stretch.
              • 4. Re: Top issues with Premiere Elements 7
                Felix G Level 1
                A very simple one:
                the name of the present project in the header of the "My project" panel.
                F
                • 5. Re: Top issues with Premiere Elements 7
                  VideoJohnny Level 1
                  Felix:

I have PE4 and mayby it is the same in PE7. Just hould the mouse pointer over the camcorder symbol located on the upper left coener of the screen.
                  • 6. Re: Top issues with Premiere Elements 7
                    Ozpeter Level 1
                    Ability to create AVCHD DVDs like every other AVCHD-capable program!

> Improve quality of playing its own AVCHD preview files (Play them in Mediaplayer for comparison). Previewing has now a disgusting qaulity.

I think Robert Velds is the only person to report this?
                    • 7. Re: Top issues with Premiere Elements 7
                      If you mean AVCHD BluRays, then you can do that in version 7.

I don't know if there is such a thing as a AVCHD DVD, since DVDs are standard definition video.
                      • 8. Re: Top issues with Premiere Elements 7
                        Ozpeter Level 1
                        Like I said in the main thread on this matter, AVCHD on DVD is probably the most frequently used AVCHD output medium. I'm unaware of any program that is capable of editing AVCHD and which cannot output to AVCHD DVD - except for Premiere Elements 7. If Adobe were unaware of the format, my gast is flabbered. If Adobe decided that it wasn't a legitimate format and they, unlike everyone else, wouldn't support it, I would be looking for bullet holes in their feet.

AVCHD on DVD is very commonly used on PS3 consoles. So what, you might say. Well, here's some info I saw recently about the state of blu-ray here in Australia -

"Out of the 2.3 million Australian households with a high definition TV set, only 400,000 have a Blu-ray player and, of those, 370,000 are PlayStation 3 games consoles, which feature Blu-ray built in. That means just 30,000 Australian households have picked up a stand-alone Blu-ray player."

"Of all the movies sold on disc in Australia, just 1.9 per cent are Blu-ray, Sony Pictures figures show. The format's market share figure in the US is 5 per cent while in Britain and France Blu-ray has a penetration of under 2 per cent."

Why buy a fairly expensive blu-ray burner, and the media to go with it that costs radically more than DVD, if a normal DVD burner and media will do the job for movies up to about 35 minutes in length, which a great many home movies do not exceed (heh, or should not!)? As I posted in the other thread, I have found a way of using a couple of freeware packages to get around the PE7 limitation in this respect (and I will soon produce the promised FAQ) but until I found out how to do it, I was faced with having to use another video editing package to do the output part - and then the logical temptation is to not bother with PE7 to do the first bit, seeing that it can't go all the way.

Rant over!
                        • 9. Re: Top issues with Premiere Elements 7
                          Level 1
                          Even after hitting Enter, AVCHD playback is disgusting. And viewing the preview (=mpeg) files in Windows Mediaplayer.
                          Rob
                          • 10. Re: Top issues with Premiere Elements 7
                            That would make sense.
                            • 11. Re: Top issues with Premiere Elements 7
                              rawatts Level 1
                              I would like to have more flexibility with sceneline and timeline. I would like a sceneline to be more like Encore slideshow where you can have multiple rows so you can see more stills or clips on the monitor at one time (I think some of the competition also does this). I would like to be able to delete the audio tracks at the bottom (narration and music I think) if I am not using them. Instead of 3 track sizes how about the ability to adjust sizes of each track being used with the cursor.
                              • 12. Re: Top issues with Premiere Elements 7
                                Level 1
                                When previewing a clip from the Edit screen I would like for the previewer to default to the size i last resized it to. Now the previewer always opens up to a tiny 2"x2" window that requires me to resize it every time.
                                • 13. Re: Top issues with Premiere Elements 7
                                  Level 1
                                  I don't like opening PE7 to all the commercials at startup - it takes long enough to load. I want the program to have an option to go directly to the last "workspace" i was in before i closed PE.
                                  • 14. Re: Top issues with Premiere Elements 7
                                    Level 1
                                    I don't like that PE7 "conforms" my .m2ts files thus making them unreadable by the Sony's Picture Motion Browser. It takes so long to load PE7 just to see what the clips are that it is much easier to just go into Sony's Picture Motion Browser to view clips when I'm not going to be editing them. Make "conforming" an option or else give me a quick and easy viewer (ie WMP) I can use.
                                    • 15. Re: Top issues with Premiere Elements 7
                                      Level 1
                                      I don't like how some tracks are designated for 5.1. Why can't i just put my clip into tracks organized vertically the way they best make sense for my editing purposes and let PE handle 5.1 files differently internally.
                                      • 16. Re: Top issues with Premiere Elements 7
                                        Level 1
                                        I wish I could set multiple Set In / Set Out points on a single clip like VideoReDo does.
                                        • 17. Re: Top issues with Premiere Elements 7
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                                          PHT,

If you Project is DV and your Audio is PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit, it is not Conformed. Only a PEK (waveform display) file is generated. The Conforming generates a separate file that Premiere accesses via an XML link that is established in the Project file. You Audio Assets are not altered in any way. If you Asset is a PCM/WAV 44.1KHz, for instance, it is not actually changed to 48KHz. Other programs should not have a problem accessing them.

Hunt
                                          • 18. Re: Top issues with Premiere Elements 7
                                            rawatts Level 1
                                            A few more little changes to save me time. I like to save a "copy" about once an hour to an external drive - it would be great if I could automate this at a frequency I desire (like save). In PE7 I always need to tell it where to save the copy even though I have done it 50 times before (because it remembers where the last save was).

I recently made 7 short youtube videos from the same clip. Each time I hit share I needed to select personal computer, flash 700K and where to save and check render timeline - it would be great if PE7 could remember that I did the same thing the 6 previous times!
                                            • 19. Re: Top issues with Premiere Elements 7
                                              Felix G Level 1
                                              Re: Hovering with the mouse over the PRE logo (left top) in order to see the project name revealed.
                                              Thanks JohnnyO for this tip. Wasn't aware of that.
                                              But I stick to my request: this function does not always work (for instance when a dialogue window is active), and it easier to just have the project name on the screen than to have to move the mouse...
                                              F
                                              • 20. Re: Top issues with Premiere Elements 7
                                                Level 1
                                                Top 4 for PRE7:

1. No "Smart Rendering". C'mon now; programs costing a fraction of the price (and, in some cases, $0.00) do this.

2. "Multiplexing has Failed" Error when exporting AVCHD .MTS 1920x1080i60 to h.264 .m2ts 1920x1080i 30.

3. Since AVCHD clips imported into PRE7 are also put in the PSE7 Organizer, the codec used by PRE7 for AVCHD should be usable by PSE7 when wanting to view the AVCHD clip from the PSE7 Organizer. At present, such is not the case. I had to get a separate codec.

4. Agreed with other posters that AVCHD playback in PRE7 is atrocious. If you're going to support the format and ESPECIALLY if you're going to be practically the last in the industry to do so, how about doing so properly?
                                                • 21. Re: Top issues with Premiere Elements 7
                                                  Ozpeter Level 1
                                                  3 + 4 seem to indicate that the results you get depend on the source of the AVCHD video - and there's some evidence that AVCHD isn't that much of a uniform standard as implemented. I have no problem with either 3 or 4 above with Panasonic SD5 footage.
                                                  • 22. Re: Top issues with Premiere Elements 7
                                                    Level 1
                                                    3 & 4 are really unrelated to one another (other than the complaint that Adobe didn't even bother to extend their PRE7 codec to PSE7 to permit PSE7 to use it, crummy though it may be). AVCHD is a pretty standardized format/file structure using h.264/mpeg4(10).
                                                    • 23. Re: Top issues with Premiere Elements 7
                                                      Level 1
                                                      Having paid a lot of money to upgrade to PE7 with its heavily advertised AVCHD capabilities, I was ASTOUNDED to discover there is no option to write AVCHD to a DVD. I simply can't believe Adobe would leave that out.
                                                      • 24. Re: Top issues with Premiere Elements 7
                                                        Paul_LS Level 4
                                                        Yes would have been nice, save me going through a two step process... export as H.264 and use DVD Moviefactory 6 to burn an AVCHD disc.
                                                        • 25. Re: Top issues with Premiere Elements 7
                                                          Ozpeter Level 1
                                                          > Yes would have been nice, save me going through a two step process... export as H.264 and use DVD Moviefactory 6 to burn an AVCHD disc.

Or tsMuxeR and ImgBurn if you want freeware and you're not fussed about menus. Must get that FAQ done...
                                                          • 26. Re: Top issues with Premiere Elements 7
                                                            PeterFDuke Level 1
                                                            Speaking of tsMuxeR and ImgBurn, I just noticed an article in the latest Australian PC User magazine (Dec 2008) (yeah, I know, it's still October!) on the use of these utilities plus a magazine propriety utility called DVD-HD 2009 which allows you to put two hours of 1080p video on a DL DVD (or one hour on standard DVD) with "good quality" to make an AVCHD disc. It uses MPEG-2 coding at this stage, but they hope to offer H.264 early in 2009. The discs will play on Sony PS3 and recent Blu-ray players that accept AVCHD.

DVD-HD 2009 is free if you buy the magazine but cannot be redistributed without permission. I haven't tried it, not having a Blu-ray player yet (nor true HD TV for that matter). Perhaps that other Peter from Oz might like to invest $8.95 AUD and try it.
                                                            • 27. Re: Top issues with Premiere Elements 7
                                                              Ozpeter Level 1
                                                              > Perhaps that other Peter from Oz might like to invest $8.95 AUD and try it.

Sounds interesting - I'll give it a go!

As far as I can see, a blu-ray structure burned to standard DVD is just the same as one burned to normal DVD, apart from needing UDF2.5 - so given that PE7 can burn data to a DVD, it would have taken hardly any effort to have enabled burning a blu-ray structure to a DVD within the program. Or maybe I'm being too simplistic.
                                                              • 28. Re: Top issues with Premiere Elements 7
                                                                Level 1
                                                                You are right Johnny O! I agreed with Felix G until I saw your response. BTW: an asterisk suffix indicates the project has been modified.
                                                                • 29. Re: Top issues with Premiere Elements 7
                                                                  Ozpeter Level 1
                                                                  > DVD-HD 2009 is free if you buy the magazine but cannot be redistributed without permission. I haven't tried it, not having a Blu-ray player yet (nor true HD TV for that matter). Perhaps that other Peter from Oz might like to invest $8.95 AUD and try it.

I've now purchased said magazine and read through the lengthy article on "DVD-HD 2009" - I have to say it seems like an invention looking for a use. It wouldn't do anything for me as I can burn AVCHD to DVD anyway, as can any PE7 user in conjunction with the free utilities already discussed - or if using almost any other AVCHD editor apart from PE7 the facility is built-in. It would enable you to create high def format DVDs using clips from low def formats, but that's a pointless exercise. Also, the amount of video claimed to be writable to a single DVD would require very high compression rates which would be bound to degrade any existing high def material. Seems all a bit odd to me - as if someone simply wanted to do it because he could. Or am I missing the point?
                                                                  • 30. Re: Top issues with Premiere Elements 7
                                                                    Level 1
                                                                    I bought photoshop.com the plus version because it said I could download more themes but where are they?
                                                                    • 31. Re: Top issues with Premiere Elements 7
                                                                      PeterFDuke Level 1
                                                                      >Also, the amount of video claimed to be writable to a single DVD would require very high compression rates which would be bound to degrade any existing high def material.

The quality obtained would be lower for sure, but would it still be acceptable? Only each individual viewer can answer that one, and how important is it to have a longer video on one DVD. The same contributor produced a utility some time ago called "DVD Double Shrink" which is similar to DVD Shrink but you can shrink up to 4 hours of MPEG2 video onto a single DVD with "acceptable" quality.
                                                                      • 32. Re: Top issues with Premiere Elements 7
                                                                        VideoJohnny Level 1
                                                                        Billie:
                                                                        You should start a new thread on this topic.
                                                                        I am not a photoshop.com plus subscriber, but I believe Adobe's advertizement is that new templates will be downloaded directly to your software on a regular basis. As templates are made theuy will become available to you.
                                                                        Please start a new topic so others can see this. I am interested in the answer also.