6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2008 7:22 AM by Steve Grisetti

Elements Hanging - Error Message

This is perplexing, but the program keeps hanging and seems to be very actively accessing the hard drive while trying to edit. Here is the error message that I got by drilling down on the send to Microsoft dialogue box: szAppName : Adobe Premiere Elements.exe szAppVer : 4.0.0.0
      szModName : hungapp szModVer : 0.0.0.0 offset : 00000000. Any ideas about what might be causing this?
        • 1. Re: Elements Hanging - Error Message
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          It's hard to say.

It could be that you lack computer resources. Or that your operating system has out of date drivers or hasn't been properly optimized for video editing. Or it could be related to your camcorder's video file format or the size of your photo files.

Can you please provide us with information on the version of the program you're using, your computer's specs (particularly the amount of RAM and free, defragmented hard drive space you have) and what you're using for source files for your editing project.
          • 2. Re: Elements Hanging - Error Message
            Level 1
            Thanks, Steve, I'll post the info tonight when I am home and have the computer in front of me.
            • 3. Re: Elements Hanging - Error Message
              Level 1
              Ok, here you go: Version 4.0; Intel Dual Core 2.2; 789 MHZ 1.96 GB RAM; 48.8 GB free hard drive space; source files are dvd's recorded with Sony Handycam in vob format.
              • 4. Re: Elements Hanging - Error Message
                You'll likely need to render often while editing VOB files, Ira. That's why, as you edit, you're seeing red lines appear on the timeline above your clips.

Regularly pressing the Enter key will render those files (the red line will turn green) and keep things running.

BTW, you don't say if you're using a Vista machine. If so, you'll need to optimize it.
                http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc448a7

And regularly perform may recommended maintenance.
                http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc43f9a

With 50 gigabytes of free space, you'll be able to edit about an hour's worth of VOB files.
                • 5. Re: Elements Hanging - Error Message
                  Level 1
                  Well at least I managed to get through the process, doing the rendering as suggested; however, after I uploaded to youtube, toggeled to youtube to make sure and toggled back to the program to save the file a work share, the program hung up again. Same error message. Any thoughts about that? Just keeps trying to access the hard drive relentlessly for no seeming good reason.
                  • 6. Re: Elements Hanging - Error Message
                    As I said, I have not idea if you're using XP or Vista or if you've performed the maintenance and driver updates I recommended above, so I'm not sure what else to recommend.

VOBs are simply not the best editing source for Premiere Elements. That's why our FAQs and my book recommend converting them to DV-AVIs before you bring them into the program.
                    http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc4800e

A well tuned and maintained computer with 50 gigs or more free, defragmented space should be able to handle them though to some extent though. Assuming your video isn't too long.