5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2008 7:20 AM by (Wintings)

16:9 source being captured as 4:3

Level 1
      My video source is NTSC analog, 16:9 aspect ratio. I am capturing via a WDM device. When I select a New Project with the "NTSC-DV-Widescreen 48kHz" preset and then attempt capture media, the capture window always displays a 4:3 aspect ratio. Captured video is then subsequently compressed in the width. However, if I open the same video clip from a previously captured AVI file that has been captured using a different application of the same source, it opens correctly in the same project. Am I missing something about how to set up the capture correctly?

Thanks,
      Jeff
        • 1. Re: 16:9 source being captured as 4:3
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          What device are you using to capture? Most likely you're using a device that does not support the 16:9 aspect ratio or has not been properly set up to do so.

The FAQs at the top of this forum offer the best advice on capturing analog. Most capture cards and lower end capture devices won't interface well with PRemiere Elements or produce files the program can easily edit.
          http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bb95e46
          • 2. Re: 16:9 source being captured as 4:3
            Level 1
            Thank you Steve. Your reply post is very helpful. I am using a Pinnacle PCI 700 board. When using Pinnacle Studio v12, the combination works perfectly for capturing 4:3 or 16:9.

My need to capture old analog video is limited to my collection of old 8mm tapes. Once captured to disk and converted to DV-AVI, PE7 is my preferred editing tool. And since I have a working capture solution, using two applications for separate steps is an acceptable compromise as I work through my old material.

Thanks for your help.
            Jeff
            • 3. Re: 16:9 source being captured as 4:3
              Level 1
              I am having problems with footage captured as 16:9 being imported as 4:3 in v7. The camera is a hard drive version, Panasonic SDR-H50 and the footage plays 16:9 in the Panasonic supplied software but when I import into Premier Elements v7 it displays as 4:3. The project is set to PAL widescreen and the DV footage from another camera is fine and imports as 16:9.

Are there any other settings I may have missed please?
              • 4. Re: 16:9 source being captured as 4:3
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
                Yours is an entirely different issue, Robert. So it's probably best to start your own thread so there's not confusion here as we try to help J work through his issues.
                • 5. Re: 16:9 source being captured as 4:3
                  Level 1
                  I am having exactly the same problem as Robert Richards. Clips recorded in 16:9 (PAL) format on my JVC Everio hard drive camcorder show up in 4:3 format when imported into Premiere Elements 7.

Ok, I know I can convert them by displaying them in "Edit", highlighting them, right-clicking and then selecting "Interpret Footage | Conform to DV1/DV PAL Widescreen 16:9". But it is a nuisance having to do this every time. Is there a way of fixing 16:9 as the DEFAULT import setting?