7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2008 12:11 AM by Paul_LS

PRE7 - Extremely slow to render AVCHD content

PRE7 is taking an extremely long time to render my AVCHD content.

Example:
      A 27.5 second clip (825 frames / 42MB) took approx. 26 minutes to render! I have optimized Vista according to the FAQ and Steve Grisetti's new book. I'm not running Aero, Sidebar, Antivirus, system Indexing, other programs, separate hard disk for video files, etc.

Video
      .MTS formatted AVCHD video from Panasonic HDC-SD1 (1,440 x 1,080 DD 5.1)

System Specs:
      DELL XPS 410
      Vista SP1
      3GB RAM
      Intel Core 2 6300 1.86Ghz
      GeForce 7600GS / PCI-E / 256MB
      WEI 4.3 (Graphics card was lowest performer)

Questions:
      1. Is the performance I'm describing sound reasonable considering my content and system or is there something wrong?

2. What is the best system upgrade I could make and how much of a difference would it make?

3. Should I convert the AVCHD to an AvI and edit that instead? I don't have a Blu-Ray burner so it shouldn't make a difference in the final product. What program can I use to do this? I'm not crazy about having to purchase another program as one of the main reason I upgraded to PRE7 was because it "works" with AVCHD! You'd think it would be able to convert files.

Thanks,
      Brian
        • 1. Re: PRE7 - Extremely slow to render AVCHD content
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          AVCHD files take a tremendous amount of power to work with, Brian. Nearly twice as much as HDV files -- which can take nearly twice as much a standard DV!

You're using a lower end dual-core processor -- but 26 minutes for a 28 second clip is just insane! Something is definitely not right, and your experience is definitely not typical!

Are you editing this as a hi-def video project, using an AVCHD preset with plans to share it as BluRay disc?

If you are editing AVCHD with plans to use the program to downsample it to standard DV, that could be at the heart of the problem.

What are you "sharing" this file as and what are you using as a project preset?
          • 2. Re: PRE7 - Extremely slow to render AVCHD content
            Level 1
            Thanks for the fast reply Steve. I'm enjoying your book by the way.

The rendering I was doing was during the editing process where you press "Enter" to view the clip in the monitor window. The project is setup as Full HD 1080i 30 5.1 channel.

What I neglected to mention is that I had applied the "Stabilizer" effect to the clip. I wanted to render it so that I could get an accurate idea of the effect the stabilizer had on the clip. When I rendered it without any effects it rendered in less than 2 minutes.

I then rendered it again with the stabilizer effect applied and it took approximately the same amount of time as the first time, 26 minutes. Does this sound reasonable?

Since I'm not intending to share my projects in HD would you recommend that I work on them in SD? If so, is there any way (preferable free) to convert the AVCHD to an AVI?

Thanks,
            Brian
            • 3. Re: PRE7 - Extremely slow to render AVCHD content
              Thanks for the background, Brian. (And for the compliments on the book!) You've helped clarify things.

Yes, the stabilizer is a pretty intensive effect. I'm surprised it adds that much to rendering time -- but it definitely does challenge the system to a certain degree. Still, half and hour for a half a minute video is too much, if you ask me. Or you, for that matter.

Most HDV hi-def camcorders have a setting for outputting the hi-def video as standard DV, as I mentioned in the book.

I'm no experton AVCHD though. Because it stores to a hard drive and the video isn't captured over FireWire, it's a whole other animal. Maybe Paul LS or another expert here or on the forum at Muvipix ( http://muvipix.com/phpBB3// ) can offer more insight.

But, if there's a way, I'd definitely recommend downsampling the video to standard DV before bringing it into the program rather than letting the program downsample your hi-def to standard video. That should resolve the worst of your problems.
              • 4. Re: PRE7 - Extremely slow to render AVCHD content
                Paul_LS Level 4
                It is definately the stablizer... I have used it with AVCHD on a quad core... and it is slow. Dont forget the size of the video frame is 4+ times that of a standard definition frame. If ultimately you want to export to standard definition then save yourself a lot of hassle and convert to DV-AVI before brining into PE7.
                • 5. Re: PRE7 - Extremely slow to render AVCHD content
                  What's the best way to convert AVCHD to DV, Paul?
                  • 6. Re: PRE7 - Extremely slow to render AVCHD content
                    PeterFDuke Level 1
                    But if you want to stabilize, in principle you should do that on the HD signal before converting to SD. Stabilizing a SD signal is disappointing to me because motion blur (due to camera movement)becomes more obvious and you need to enlarge the picture (reducing resolution) to crop off the wobbly border.

It is far better of course to take more care or use a tripod in the first place, but that is often easier said than done.
                    • 7. Re: PRE7 - Extremely slow to render AVCHD content
                      Paul_LS Level 4
                      "What's the best way to convert AVCHD to DV, Paul?".... I am not sure of any free converters... but you could always use PE7 to export as DV-AVI and then edit this in PE7 in standard definition. It would certainly speed up rendering if any effects are added.
                      NERO can also be used to convert AVCHD to DV-AVI. Not sure of any free converters at the moment.