9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2008 12:42 PM by Phil.com

Not able to upload to a MiniDV

Phil.com Level 1
      A friend using PE4 is having trouble having the S/W recognize a video camera connected to his laptop. When we go into Edit/Preferences/Device Control/Options and set it for his camera check status always shows it as off line. He is not able to upload to a MiniDV.

We tried it with two different video camera and two different Firewire cables. One of the cameras and cables was mine and they work just fine on my computer.

So, it looks like it is either the software or the computer. He is able to download from a MiniDv to the program timeline.

I am running out of things to check. Any thoughts or hints or solutions.

As always thank you.

Cheers! PHIL
        • 1. Re: Not able to upload to a MiniDV
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          Are you saying he can capture from the miniDV but not record to it?

That's becoming more common, as manufacturer's are disabling the record function on newer cams.
          • 2. Re: Not able to upload to a MiniDV
            Phil.com Level 1
            << Are you saying he can capture from the miniDV but not record to it? >> Yes.

I don't think it is the camera because we had the same problem using my camera on his computer and it did not up load but worked ok on my computer.

Cheers! PHIL
            • 3. Re: Not able to upload to a MiniDV
              "I don't think it is the camera because we had the same problem using my camera on his computer and it did not up load but worked ok on my computer. "

I'm not sure what you're saying, Phil.

Can he use a Windows MovieMaker to capture and output to his camcorder?

Does he have Nero or other intrusive software installed?
              • 4. Re: Not able to upload to a MiniDV
                Phil.com Level 1
                >I'm not sure what you're saying, Phil.

We are unable to up load a project to a miniDV using PE4. We don't want to use Windows MovieMaker. The program does not see the camera for up loading but the same camera uploads just fine on my computer.

>Does he have Nero or other intrusive software installed?

That's a possibility and I will check that out.

Thanks.

Cheers! PHIL
                • 5. Re: Not able to upload to a MiniDV
                  Whether you want to use MovieMaker or WinDV or whatever or not, you need to at least try it so that you can see if the problem is uniquely Premiere Elements' or system-wide, Phil.
                  • 6. Re: Not able to upload to a MiniDV
                    Phil.com Level 1
                    Excellent point. He has Vista so I assume he has MS Movie Maker.

Thanks.

Cheers! PHIL
                    • 7. Re: Not able to upload to a MiniDV
                      Level 1
                      to be bale to export to Mini DV tape, your friend will need to go to Share tab and click on Tape. But this is only after the camera has been recognozed by the system. If the camera and the cable are working on another system, the problem could be with the firewire card.
                      • 8. Re: Not able to upload to a MiniDV
                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                        To follow Kami-Kaze's thought: Or the setup in Vista. That is why a test of the camera, the cable and the setup in Vista is important. If Windows Movie Maker (or similar) can see and use it, then Vista can probably be safely ruled out, as a culprit. If so, then the setup of PE would become the suspect.

To successfully troubleshoot some problems, it's best to conduct tests to narrow down the location of the problem. This might even mean building "test" Projects, to do the detective work. It's a step-by-step process, with the elimination of each of the "usual suspects."

I also seem to recall discussion in the P-Pro forum on Vista and cameras not playing nice. Maybe also do a search of that forum. Since I don't have Vista, I did not pay close attention to those threads.

Good luck,

Hunt
                        • 9. Re: Not able to upload to a MiniDV
                          Phil.com Level 1
                          Thank you Hunt. I'll look over in the Premier Pro

>To successfully troubleshoot some problems, it's best to conduct tests to narrow down the location of the problem.

Yes, that is why I used two separate camera and cable combination and then checked one of them on on my computer.

But, he can down load from that camera.

Cheers! PHIL