11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2008 7:16 PM by the_wine_snob

Play Video in different Video Player?

Level 1
      Is there a way to select a video in Premiere Elements and have it play in a different video player?

I have a number of AVCHD video files that I recorded using my digital camcorder. The only player that I have found that is able to play it smoothly and without getting out sync with the audio has been Cyberlink's PowerDVD. The Premiere Elements video player is utterly terrible for AVCHD video files.

I would like to organize and edit my videos using Premiere Elements but use PowerDVD to play raw clips. Is this possible?
        • 1. Re: Play Video in different Video Player?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          Yes.

But if you want to see full quality playback from Premiere Elements 7 (the only version that can work with AVCHD), you'll need to press Enter to render the files on the timeline first.
          • 2. Re: Play Video in different Video Player?
            Level 1
            Hey Jax,

For Raw AVCHD 5.1 or stereo files you may use:
            -PowerDVD or
            - Elecard or
            - Render the file by hitting Enter key and then view it in Premiere Elements itself.

For Files exported from Premiere Elements,
            you can reimport in Premiere Elements or use any of the above players and view the files.
            If you decide to export files, it would be very advisable to export using H.264 or MPEG2 presets.

Thanks
            Daniel
            • 3. Re: Play Video in different Video Player?
              Ozpeter Level 1
              But if your AVCHD clips come from one of the sources that do seem to play just fine in PE7, and you have hardware with enough power to do it, you shouldn't need to do any of the above - in my experience. I get perfectly fine playback within PE7 itself with SD5 clips on a quad core PC, no different from any of the other players or editors I've tried.
              • 4. Re: Play Video in different Video Player?
                Level 1
                I'm confused, Is there a way to preview my clips in a different program?
                Similar in fashion when you'd like to edit a photo using another photo editor in PSE, where you can choose from a list of programs in a menu to edit your photo. I'd like the same functionality when previewing a video. Is there a way to choose a different media player (PowerDVD, Windows Media Player, etc) to preview a raw video clip?
                • 5. Re: Play Video in different Video Player?
                  Paul_LS Level 4
                  To preview a raw video clip, yes. Click on the clip on the timeline for example, then go to Edit>Edit Original. It will open the video in whatever application it is associated to. For example I have my AVCHD video clips associated to Cyberlink Power DVD. When I click Edit Original, PowerDVD opens and they play.
                  • 6. Re: Play Video in different Video Player?
                    Level 1
                    I attempted to "Edit Original", but that option is not available; it's grayed out and not selectable. Any other suggestions?
                    • 7. Re: Play Video in different Video Player?
                      Paul_LS Level 4
                      Did you click on the clip in the timeline before trying to select Edit Original?
                      • 8. Re: Play Video in different Video Player?
                        Level 1
                        yes, I did.

As a test, I placed both an AVI and an AVCHD (.m2ts) file on the timeline. I can select "Edit Original" if I select the AVI file. I can NOT choose "Edit Original" if I select the AVCHD file.
                        • 9. Re: Play Video in different Video Player?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                          My guess would be that there is not yet a file association for the m2t. This can be set in Windows Control Panel - probably slightly different places with different versions of Windows. You want the File Type tab, and it's usually under Folder Options. You may have to add the m2t file type, and then associate it with the program of your choice.

This can also be accomplished in Windows Explorer. You can navigate to one of your m2t files, and right-click on it there. Choose Open With and then Windows will try to find a suitable program. This might take a few minutes, so be patient. If it does not find such a program (very likely), you can specify the program manually. (Actually, you can select this option in the step before, if you know which program you wish to use.) Once you have navigated to proper program, look down the dialog screen. There will be a checkbox with the title, "Always Open in this Application," or similar. Check this box and you *should* be done.

Good luck,

Hunt
                          • 10. Re: Play Video in different Video Player?
                            Level 1
                            this filetype already is associated with PowerDVD as the default program, so I'm still unsure why these filetypes can't use the "Edit Original" feature.
                            • 11. Re: Play Video in different Video Player?
                              the_wine_snob Level 9
                              Sounds like all the bases are covered. I'd *think* that it would work, but obviously it does not. I am out of ideas. Hope that others can chime in add fresh fuel to the fire.

Hunt