7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2008 3:19 PM by Top Branded Clothing

Archived Project

Top Branded Clothing
      Hi guys,
      How is everyone doing? England is cold but sunny!
      I've archived a project to disc by simply copying all the files to a DVD using Roxio.
      I've now copied all the files back to my hard drive in order to re-edit it and the project reloads to a point where it asks for a particular .VOB file.
      Now I didn't think that PE 3.0 can edit VOB files.
      Anyway, that aside, I select the correct file but Elements gives me an error message (doesn't match etc).
      At this point, I can't 'skip' the file (so I can see all the rest of the project) just 'cancel' - which gives me the 'media offline' message for everything.
      I've tried renaming the .VOB file .MPG but that gives me the same error message (it wouldn't match anyway, since Elements is asking me for the location of a .VOB file).
      An thoughts?
      Chummy
      PS Long time no post!
        • 1. Re: Archived Project
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          Chilly but still relatively nice and sunny here in Wisconsin, Chummy. Though I think temperatures are going to dip within the next few weeks.

Meantime, I'd definitely recommend against using DVDs to archive your video files, particularly if you plan to re-edit them later. As you've seen, VOB files are really more of a delivery format. If you try to edit them, there's just so much potential for problems.

Here's what I'd recommend as an alternative:

1) Use the Premiere Elements Project Archiver feature if you think you might want to edit the files again later. These will be very large files -- probably too large to fit on a DVD. But they should archive nicely to a back-up drive or to a BluRay data disc (in their raw DV-AVI format) or even back to the camcorder.

2) If you have no alternative but to save as DVDs, do your editing with Sonic MyDVD instead of Premiere Elements. It works with VOBs and MPEgs natively, and so may be able to salvage those DVD files. I believe it also has the option of converting those DVD files back into DV-AVIs too, in case you truly need to do your editing in Premiere Elements.
          • 2. Re: Archived Project
            >I believe it also has the option of converting those DVD files back into DV-AVIs too, in case you truly need to do your editing in Premiere Elements.

If so, will this work as well as other methods of bringing files from a DVD into Pre El to edit?
            • 3. Re: Archived Project
              As I said, Sonic MyDVD edits MPEGs and VOBs natively. Premiere Elements does not.

You'll always have much better results editing files natively rather than using a program that must convert them on the fly as you're working.
              • 4. Re: Archived Project
                Top Branded Clothing Level 1
                Thanks Steve, understood.
                I'm still a little curious as to why the reloaded PE project doesn't give me the option to skip this troublesome file and edit the rest (which would be okay for me).
                Also, come to think of it, the files have come from a project on which I used the Archiver option.
                So I must have used a .VOB in the original edit for the project to be asking me where it is now.
                But that's impossible, right?
                • 5. Re: Archived Project
                  Should be.
                  • 6. Re: Archived Project
                    I've been wondering what to post by way of reply to that!
                    So I began to ask myself what was different about my computer then to what it is now.
                    And there may lie the answer...
                    • 7. Re: Archived Project
                      Okay, the project was archived to disc using the Project Archiver feature and has sat in a disc wallet for about a year.
                      In the meantime, I've upgraded my computer to a shiny new Vista PC.
                      Trying to re-edit the project on the new computer gives me the issues to which I originally referred.
                      Now, back on the old XP machine, it runs fine. (The only issue is that I am asked for a key from Adobe online to run an MPEG files - I've reformatted my drive and reinstalled Windows XP and everything else in the meantime).
                      But all this still begs the question. The errant file has a .VOB extension and is sitting in my media panel nice and pretty...