3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2008 3:54 PM by (PHT)

PE7 routinely crashes while editing titles

I get message that resources are running low every time I am editing titles - after about 2-3 minutes editing. Same thing happened in PE4 before I upgraded, but in PE4 I could go back in after one crash and it would be stable to finish editing that title. PE7 will crash repeatedly while editing titles. This is a clean machine with pretty much nothing else installed but MS Office.

What can I do to stabilize?

Dell XPS 420: Vista Ultimate, Intel Quad CPU Q6600 2.4Ghz, 4Gb RAM, 400Gb free HD, 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT Video.
        • 1. Re: PE7 routinely crashes while editing titles
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          First optimize Vista, per the FAQs at the top of the forum.
          http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc448a7

Then update your firmware, RealTek drivers and Quicktime.
          http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3c057647/1

Then clear off your junk files and do some maintenance.
          http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc43f9a

After that, it could depend a lot on what you're using for source files.

And all of this is, of course, moot if you're using 64-Vista, which has its own challenges.
          • 2. Re: PE7 routinely crashes while editing titles
            Level 1
            Are you using title templates? I would suggest, save the project, close and restart PE7 onnce you get this message of low memory. On a $ GB system you should not be getting this error. Also let us know what else is there on the timeline? Are you working with AVCHD clips or slideshow imported from PSE?
            • 3. Re: PE7 routinely crashes while editing titles
              Level 1
              No, not using templates. I do close it when I get the message, I end up closing it at least once on every title I create though. 4Gb should definitely be enough.

Here is what I just tried: I created a new AVCHD project and did not load any video clips into the project. With no assets in the project and therefore nothing on the timeline I created a new title with text only and kept playing with textbox resize, font size, font color, moving text boxes etc. for 5 minutes and it never had a problem. I even added another title and played with the templates - no problems.

Then in the same project I added one very short AVCHD clip to the timeline that is just 2 min long. I added another title and kept playing with it for about 3 min when I got the error message.

I think this eliminates some of the issues I read in this forum like optimizing the memory usage, corrupt fonts, etc. The project I created that crashed is just about the smallest project I could create - resource usage should not be an issue.

UPDATE:
              After posting the above I deleted all the work from the above AVCHD project, loaded a 15 sec. MPG clip into the timeline then played with basic titles (adding 4 separate titles) over 10 minutes and it never crashed.