13 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2008 1:48 PM by Barb__O

PE4 problems creating and viewing MPEG-2 files

I am having some Adobe Premiere Elements 4 problems creating and viewing MPEG-2 files would appreciate some help.

I am converting my VHS Tapes to digital and plan to have MPEG-2's on my hard disk for viewing using Photoshop Elements 7 and archiving the .avi's.

My workflow is to create .avi files using a Canopus ADVC 110 taking input from VHS Tape. I edit in PE4, and then create an MPEG-2 file using the share function with PAL settings (I am in the UK). The file is created and saved.

Problem description. When I play the MPEG-2 file in Windows Media Player the first frame is displayed as a still and I can hear the audio. Very strange.

The .avi file plays in PE4 and Media Player OK.
      The .mpg file plays in Photoshop Elements 7 OK.

PC Description
      Intel Dual Core Processor 2 x 1.86GHz, 2.5GB RAM
      NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GS Graphics Card with latest drivers installed
      Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 1 with updates installed

1. Has anyone experienced this problem ?
      2. If so is there a solution ?
      3. Please critique my workflow
      4. Does anyone know how to show the first frame of the .mpg when it is in the Photoshop Elements 7 Organiser ?

Thank you in advance.

John
        • 1. Re: PE4 problems creating and viewing MPEG-2 files
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          My guess is that Media Player is just bogging down. It really isn't the best solution for playing MPEGs.

Does your computer have DVD player software? (The program that launches when you put in a DVD? If so, try playing the MPEG with that.

Or even the free download VirtualDubMPEG2.

I'd expect your MPEGs are fine.
          • 2. Re: PE4 problems creating and viewing MPEG-2 files
            Paul_LS Level 4
            Can you play other MPEG files in MediaPlayer?
            • 3. Re: PE4 problems creating and viewing MPEG-2 files
              Level 1
              Thanks for your prompt response Steve.

What you say about Media Player bogging down makes sense. I too believe the MPEGs are fine because they play in Photoshop Elements OK.

I am keen to get a solution as I would like to send MPEGs to friends who will have 'standard' Windows PC's.

Any thoughts on how I can display the MPEG thumbnail in Photoshop Elements. The thumbnail displays in Windows Explorer. The .avi thumbnail displays OK in Windows Explorer and Photoshop Elements.

John
              • 4. Re: PE4 problems creating and viewing MPEG-2 files
                Level 1
                Hi Paul,

Yes I have another MPEG on the PC which plays OK, albeit much smaller in size.

The machine has just rebuilt with Vista. I am going to try one of the MPEG's on another machine with Vista and another one with XP.

John
                • 5. Re: PE4 problems creating and viewing MPEG-2 files
                  Paul_LS Level 4
                  Regarding your thumbnails:
                  http://muvipix.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2294&p=19179&hilit=mpeg+thumbnails#p19179
                  • 6. Re: PE4 problems creating and viewing MPEG-2 files
                    Level 1
                    I tried the MPEG on an XP machine and another Vista machine; the MPEG works fine in Media Player and Real Player.

The Vista machine has 3GB of RAM while mine has 2.5GB which could be a factor.
                    • 7. Re: PE4 problems creating and viewing MPEG-2 files
                      Barb__O Level 4
                      John,

It would be interesting if on the
                      b Vista
                      machine, you check the
                      b Photoshop Elements thumbnails
                      BEFORE you follow the link to muvipix that was posted by Paul posted in message 5 of this thread. You can try first right clicking on a bad existing thumbnail, then choosing Update Thumbnail and second try importing a new mPEG2 file to the PS Elements Organizer. Are either the updated thumbnails or the new thumbnails good ?

Why?
                      Because Vista is capable of encoding MPEG2, I would suspect that it would be distributing an MPEG2 codec that XP does not have. What I don't know is if that codec will be what Photoshop Elements needs to create a thumbnail for an MPEG2 file. So I am asking you to do this test and then post your results back here.

Then, if Vista does not give you the thumnbnails in the PS Elements Organizer, read the muvipix threads for instructions.
                      • 8. Re: PE4 problems creating and viewing MPEG-2 files
                        Level 1
                        Barb,

I tried the test you suggested.

I put the MPEG onto the XP machine. The thumbnail did not appear in Explorer or PS Elements 4 Organiser. The machine has the klite codecs installed.

You say in your message look at muvipix for a solution to MPEG thumbnails and PS Elements 7 Organiser. I have looked but cannot find a solution. I am reluctant to add codecs on an adhoc basis to my Vista machine as it has been recently installed and optimised for working with video as per Steve Grisetti's recommendations.

Have you managed to display the MPEG thumbnails in PS Elements 7 Organiser on a Vista machine ?

John
                        • 9. Re: PE4 problems creating and viewing MPEG-2 files
                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                          John,

I cannot offer direct assistance, as I only have Photoshop CS2, not PSEx. However, I have seen the exact same behavior in Adobe Bridge (basically the big brother to the Organizer). Most MPEG files display a thumbnail, but some will not.

I'd start by getting G-Spot, freeware from www.headbands.com/gspot, and installing it.

It does a couple of things. First it does a survey of your system's installed CODECs. Then, you can drag one of the offending files into it. It'll basically deconstruct that file's header data and tell you about the "health" of that file, which CODECs are required for both Audio and Video, and then will go step-by-step through the process of rendering and playing the file in its viewer. These steps are manual and you have to click the little 1's, 2's and 3's at the bottom left of the window.

With files that will not show thumbnails, I almost always find a problem with step 2 (little box with 2 at the bottom left). This is the Render button. To the right, you are likely to see that some of the "Pins" in the header do not connect. These will highlighted in reddish pink (default). The file will still render and play, but these errors seem to kill any preview/thumbnail. Why these Pins are not correctly connected, I do not know. It obviously has to do with the method of Export.

I have found that if I run the file through DigitalMedia Converter (Deskshare), which is the file converter that I use, and Convert to the same format, or more likely in my case to DV-AVI (for use in my NLEs) all is now right with the file. This program, though not freeware, has been about 99% for me over the years. It does need every
                          i *necessary*
                          CODEC installed, as it does not have any of its own. However, it will tell you exactly
                          b WHICH
                          CODEC you need.

Now, if the Render operation in G-Spot shows no errors and you still do not have a preview, I'm at a loss.

Also, I have never (knocking on wood, as he types) had a problem with any MPG from Premiere NOT preview - only MPGs from elsewhere.

Good luck,

Hunt
                          • 10. Re: PE4 problems creating and viewing MPEG-2 files
                            Barb__O Level 4
                            >Have you managed to display the MPEG thumbnails in PS Elements 7 Organiser on a Vista machine ?

I don't currently have a Vista machine and that is why I asked you for feedback. I had a Vista laptop that I used for travel over the summer and it had PSE 6. However, now I realize that I don't think I ever had an MPEG2 in that PSE 6 catalog: it was not my full photo and video library but only new files and some projects. I will be ordering a new laptop with Vista and plan to install PSE 7 but that will be a few weeks away at best.

> I put the MPEG onto the XP machine. The thumbnail did not appear in Explorer or PS Elements 4 Organiser. The machine has the klite codecs installed.

On muvipix, try this link

http://muvipix.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1988&p=16237&hilit=klite+k+lite#p16237

It includes some images posted by Chuck relative to the K-lite codecs. You do need a MPEG codec function for a splitter and not just for decoding in order for PSE to be able to isolate the image and create the thumbnail.

Also several posts later, there is a post reporting where someone says that under Vista he did not get PSE thumbnails for MPEG2 until he also updated Quicktime 7. We don't really know why Quicktime made a difference.

Based on my discussions with Adobe tech support, all the more recent versions of PSE (5,6,7) will be the same for the lack of display of an MPEG2 thumbnail. This problem is not camera source specific: it happens even for an MPEG2 file that is created by Premiere Elements on the same PC as that MPEG2 file was created. Now I can't be sure about PSE 4 because my conversations with Adobe were based on experience that started with PSE 5 - PRE 3: however, I have no reason to think it would be different.

There is a circumvention that I have used but the more video files you have, the more tedious the circumvention is. With PSE or PRE you could extract an image from the video file and specify to deinterlace it, save it as a jpeg, use the Organizer Change Date/Time command to give that jpeg file the same time as the video file so that it will appear adjacent in the Organizer thumbnails panel and tag the jpeg with the same tags as the video file. Unfortunately you can not include video files in an Organizer Stack.

Hunt: I did have this problem with an MPEG2 file created by Premiere Elements 3 on the same PC as the PSE 5 in which there was no thumbnail for it. That situation was the basis for my first call to Adobe tech support. In subsequent discussions, I have received no responses that encourage me that the situation is any different for PSE 7 - PRE 7; however, I have not yet tried that combination myself.
                            • 11. Re: PE4 problems creating and viewing MPEG-2 files
                              the_wine_snob Level 9
                              Barb,

Interesting. As I do not have PSE (and honestly have not even opened the Organizer in PE4), I can't help. My observations were based on using Bridge2. I see *some* of the same with ThumbsPlus 7-Pro. Some MPEGs display perfectly, but some do not. Usually, the ones that do not display will play fine in WMP (version 11?).

Also, all of my OS's are XP-Pro SP-3 now - no Vista anything, yet.

Sorry I can't be much help here, not having the exact programs, and OS's.

I will do more experimentation in what I have and see if I can find a more common link in the display problem though.

Hunt
                              • 12. Re: PE4 problems creating and viewing MPEG-2 files
                                Level 1
                                Hunt/Barb,

Spent most of this evening testing without success.

PC Description
                                Intel Dual Core Processor 2 x 1.86GHz, 2.5GB RAM
                                NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GS Graphics Card with latest drivers installed
                                Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 1 with updates installed

Photoshop Elements 7 and Premiere Elements 4. MPEGs created using PE4 Share function.

I installed the GSspot and got the same pink error message as described by Hunt.

I installed the latest full set of K-lite codecs and un-installed/re-installed the latest version of Quick Time.

One thing I noticed when creating the MPEG-2 was lots of options under the advanced menu which I did not understand. Could the answer be there ?

I am wondering why we are trying to find an answer to this. It is a basic piece of functionality that is missing and is sloppy coding from Adobe which I find surprising. Are there two separate development teams who don't communicate ? Simply branding Photoshop Elements 7 and Premiere Elements 7 with the same version number is cynical when basic interoperabilty dosen't work.

John
                                • 13. Re: PE4 problems creating and viewing MPEG-2 files
                                  Barb__O Level 4
                                  John,

>am wondering why we are trying to find an answer to this. It is a basic piece of functionality that is missing and is sloppy coding from Adobe which I find surprising. Are there two separate development teams who don't communicate ? Simply branding Photoshop Elements 7 and Premiere Elements 7 with the same version number is cynical when basic interoperabilty dosen't work.

Why don't you try contacting Adobe technical support for Photoshop Elements 7?