7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2008 5:14 AM by Steve Grisetti

Not happy with Adobe PE7 upgrade cost

To make a long story short I have been using PE3 until late this year due to finance issue (out of work for over a year). Finally on July 28 I upgraded so that I can use PE on my Vista computer - and although my computer is no great speed deamon (3GHz Core2 with 8GB) the reliability of PE4 has not been what I would call "quality programming". Now comes along PE7 that is supposed to finally fix things - oh yeah that will be another $120 to upgrade...
        • 1. Re: Not happy with Adobe PE7 upgrade cost
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          $120 to upgrade? Hmm. The program has a street price of $89. I think you're overpaying.
          • 2. Re: Not happy with Adobe PE7 upgrade cost
            Barb__O Level 4
            $120 is the upgrade price for the bundle of Photoshop Elements 7 and Premiere Elements 7 at the USA Adobe store. The upgrade of Premiere Elements 7 at the USA Adobe store is $80.

Also other web sites (especially those like Amazon which offer the rebate) may end up being cheaper. However be aware that the rebate is not available from all web sites or brick and mortar stores. You need to specifically receive the rebate form.
            • 3. Re: Not happy with Adobe PE7 upgrade cost
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              mttcrlsn,

Not sure where you purchased your "upgrade," but I purchased PE4 for ~ US$70 full. I had no previous versions, and there was not a path from my Premiere Pro, for any version of PE.

Based on my limited exposure to PE4, I think that PE3 would have been better, and closer to P-Pro, my main NLE.

Hunt
              • 4. Re: Not happy with Adobe PE7 upgrade cost
                Level 1
                He could buy it direct from Adobe Store and still save money.<br /><grisetti_steve@adobeforums.com> wrote in message <br />news:59b6dd03.0@webcrossing.la2eafNXanI...<br />> $120 to upgrade? Hmm. The program has a street price of $89. I think <br />> you're overpaying.
                • 5. Re: Not happy with Adobe PE7 upgrade cost
                  paulgoelz Level 1
                  Read the fine print on any web site that offers PE7. Some show the upgrade price by default and you need to carefully read the fine print to determine if you actually qualify.

For example, I have a licensed version of PE3. However, I didn't pay for it.... it came free with a video camera. From what I can determine, if that copy of PE3 is installed on the same machine where I install the PE7 upgrade version, it should work. But I cannot be certain.

Given my past experiences with PE3, I am waiting for the free trial before I give Adobe any money. And even then it will stick in my craw to have to pay for an "upgrade" to get a version of PE that works without raising blood pressure to the danger point ;)

Paul
                  • 6. Re: Not happy with Adobe PE7 upgrade cost
                    VideoJohnny
                    I think the poin mttcrisn is making is why should we need to upgrade to get bug fixes. Adobe should be releasing patches for bug fixes.
                    • 7. Re: Not happy with Adobe PE7 upgrade cost
                      Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
                      Whether the upgrade is "bug fixes" or new features is a matter of interpretation.

Most users haven't had a problem with any version. Improvements have been made each generation -- but each new version has included lots of new enhancements. Calling these enhancements and new features bug fixes is really unfair to all of us who've been using the program for nearly 5 years with no major problems.

Still, your mileage may vary. And only you can decide if these new features and enhancements are worth the upgrade cost.

Remember, next year there will be a new generation of the product, and it too will be improved in a number of ways. And then, again, you'll need to decide if it's these improvements are worth the investment.