4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2008 1:59 PM by the_wine_snob

MPEG Video/Audio Clips not in synch

I've trimmed several MPEG clips and burned them to DVDs. When I played back the DVD on a player, the video and audio were out of synch after my first edit point. Online help says this can be fixed, but instructions are not clear (to me anyway).

Is there a way to trim/split MPEG videos without causing the audio and video to out of synch?
        • 1. Re: MPEG Video/Audio Clips not in synch
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          That's a pretty common problem when using MPEGs as source files. That's why we usually recommend you convert MPEGs to Dv-AVIs before you edit them in Premiere Elements, per the FAQs at the top of this forum.
          http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc4800e
          • 2. Re: MPEG Video/Audio Clips not in synch
            Level 1
            I am making a second attempt to convert my mpeg to AVI using the instructions in the FAQs. The first attempt produce a file that increased in size from 2,326,935 KB to 12,323,000 KB and then it would not play properly. The process took several hours to convert, are there any tools for batch processing several video conversions?

My source file is a TIVOfile video which I converted to MPEG. (If any readers know of any tools for skipping this step and converting a tivofile directly to AVI or other formats that can be used by PE4 I would be very, very grateful.)
            • 3. Re: MPEG Video/Audio Clips not in synch
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
              As I said in your other post, Jim. You likely won't be able to edit TIVO and DVR video in Premiere Elements. Not without lots of problems.

As far as I know, only Roxio and Ulead Movie Factory are documented capable of editing DVR video.
              • 4. Re: MPEG Video/Audio Clips not in synch
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                Jim,

You might want to look into a shareware program, Digital Media Converter (Deskshare). I have used it almost flawlessly for about 5 years now. It does a nice, clean job of converting most source files to DV-AVI and can do batch, so you can load the files, set your conversion specs and fire it off for an overnight session.

It will work with most CODECs, even some pretty obscure ones, but it b DOES
                need for you to have these installed on the system, as it does not come with any of its own.

Seems that the last copy that I bought (have it on every one of my machines) was US$49. They have/had a trial. IIRC, the only limitation on it was time, i.e. you had X days to evaluate it, no restrictions. Try it and see if it works for you.

Good luck,

Hunt