12 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2009 9:53 AM by the_wine_snob

PE 7 and Vista 64-Bit

brianwolters
      Does PE7 work with Vista 64-bit? I know PE3 had problems with Vista 64 bit in that it wouldn't capture video.

Thanks,
      Brian
        • 1. Re: PE 7 and Vista 64-Bit
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          It is not designed to work on 64-bit Vista. Some have been able to use it regardless -- many have had lots of problems.

Here's the official word.
          http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b59715/0
          • 2. Re: PE 7 and Vista 64-Bit
            Level 1
            I use it on 64 bit Vista Ul. and have no problems. Try the trial version <br />when it is available at the end of the month.<br /><br /><br /><Brian_Wolters@adobeforums.com> wrote in message <br />news:59b6deca.-1@webcrossing.la2eafNXanI...<br />> Does PE7 work with Vista 64-bit? I know PE3 had problems with Vista 64 bit <br />> in that it wouldn't capture video.<br />><br />> Thanks,<br />> Brian
            • 3. Re: PE 7 and Vista 64-Bit
              brianwolters Level 1
              well, I went to 64 bit vista months ago but because I couldn't capture with PE3, I had to go back to 32 bit...I am normally one to upgrade but I've held onto PE3 for this long because it has been so darn stable for me.
              • 4. Re: PE 7 and Vista 64-Bit
                Level 1
                PE7 works fine on vista 64 Bit though as per Adobe it will nto be able to use all the capabilities of a 64 bit system. You can download a trial first and try it out.
                • 5. Re: PE 7 and Vista 64-Bit
                  Level 1
                  I am running PE7 on Vista 64 bit as well, no problems at all so far.
                  • 6. Re: PE 7 and Vista 64-Bit
                    Dboccio

I have a new Del 435 with Vista 64 bit. I can start the program but none of my movie formats will load. The error is Codec not found or installed. I tried several codec downloads with no sucess. I tried Sony Vegas Ver 9 and every type of files load, so I am abandoning Adobe just as Adobe has abandoned their users. Vista 64 bit has been around for more than a year and you cannot buy a Dell with the old 32 bit version. When will a patch be available????

• 7. Re: PE 7 and Vista 64-Bit
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

It is very likely that your new machine does not have the necessary CODEC's. Starting with the release of the first edition of Vista, it seems that MS is not including these, as before. There is/was a Vista CODEC pack on the MS site, and I would recommend installing it.

Next, for the others CODEC's, use G-Spot tell which ones you need, by runnng your files through the program.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS I am not a fan of other CODEC "packs," such as K-Lite. Install at your own risk. For some, they work. For others, they cause problems.

• 8. Re: PE 7 and Vista 64-Bit
                        Dboccio Level 1

I downloaded all the codecs available for vista and the error continues. There are no 64 bit codecs that will make Adobe Premiere Elements work with any type of file (mpeg,avi,wmv,mp4....) but Sony's Vegas 9.0b works with the same files on the same Dell 435 Studio.....Adobe had enough time to fix it with a patch, but adobe continues to ignore the problem any users are encountering if they buy a new PC with Vista 64 bit preinstalled. But thanks for the response WineAdobe error.jpg

• 9. Re: PE 7 and Vista 64-Bit
                          Kodebuster Level 3

I suspect that something else is in play here and it's not Vista-64.

Not only do I, but quite a number of folks have been running V-64 and PE4 thru PE7, without issue.

Not to belabor the point, but both Dell and HP sell PE7 as an add-on software package that can be purchased with any of their high end systems (including V-64 based machines). And these vendors perform extensive in-house tests to ensure their images are compatable with any software they sell.

A couple of things to consider:

Make sure you have the latest quicktime installed.

Perform a Re-Install, or Repair of PE.

The fact that no media will load with a Codec not found, leads me to suspect that a partial install may be lurking.

BTW many of the primary Codecs in play today are 32-bit, and they load and run just fine with PE7 under V-64 and the new Windows-7.

• 10. Re: PE 7 and Vista 64-Bit
                            Dboccio Level 1

Everything you suggested (reinstalled PE, quicktime,  I did, I am not alone with this problem ( just google 64 bit Vista Premiere elements), I am happy that your system works but adobe has been unresponsive. I am trained in adobe premiere, but I can't wait for a software platform that has been around for a year to catch up with 64 bit problem.

• 11. Re: PE 7 and Vista 64-Bit
                              Kodebuster Level 3

DB, sorry to hear that you've hit a brick wall with Adobe Support.

If they can't get you to the promised land, then I sure can't get you there.

If they are ignoring you or completely unresponsive, I can understand the frustration level.

Good Luck...

• 12. Re: PE 7 and Vista 64-Bit
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Which particular CODEC's did G-Spot tell you were required? That would be the first thing that I would look at.

Good luck,

HuntG-Spot Screen 01.jpg