6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2008 6:08 AM by (Ned_Himmelrich)

PE2  warning box while burning:  R

About 15 minutes into burning a 45 second clip, a warning box popped up with a yellow triangle, and the message was: R. Overall progress was at 50 percent, and it had finished buffering (I was away from the computer at the time. Any clues what the program was trying to tell me?
        • 1. Re: PE2  warning box while burning:  R
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          15 minutes into rendering a 45 second clip!?

That alone is a reason for concern, Ned. It really shouldn't take more than two or three times the running time of a clip to render it -- so, if it's taking even 5 minutes, something is wrong.

What is the source file you're trying to render?
          • 2. Re: PE2  warning box while burning:  R
            Level 1
            Not quite sure what you mean by "Source file." I created a clip with a song, a 15 second video clip (with audio) and three photos. I have a credit scroll running on the left with about 200 names, the video in a box on the right, and the song playing as background. It is saved as a PE2 file on my external hard drive, attached to my computer through a USB port. The wire from the drive to my computer is the wire that came with the external hard drive. The computer is a 30 month old Dell midrange desktop.

But when I made my last major video 2 years ago (saving it on the internal drive), it was taking 4 hours or so to render a 15 minute video/picture/song/narrative montage. So The timing did not seem that out of wack.
            • 3. Re: PE2  warning box while burning:  R
              Where did you video come from? What kind of camcorder?

And did you optimize the photos to no larger than 1000x750 pixels? That alone will cut down tremendously on rendering time.
              • 4. Re: PE2  warning box while burning:  R
                Level 1
                Video is home movie taken on analog and made digital via recording through a digital camera. I did not optimize the photos -- as I am wary of losing quality/sharpness.

Is there a resource that discusses optimizing burning without losing pix or sound quality? Or are you able to discuss it here? I have your book that was available in 2005.

In the 15 minute montage I am creating, I will have scanned pictures, digital pictures, some digitally taken audio/video, some analog-then-converted-to digital audio visual, some songs from itunes where I will sometimes use only 20% of the song's duration and some digitally recorded voice.

I appreciate your help.
                • 5. Re: PE2  warning box while burning:  R
                  You will not lose quality by down-rezzing the photos, Ned.

In fact, ironically, because video is only about 640x480 pixels resolution, you actually get BETTER picture quality from a 1000x750 photo than one three or four times that size!
                  http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bb8822c

And, as I said, it will reduce your render time from minutes to seconds and probably resolve your rendering issue. (Assuming you still have plenty of room on your hard drive for scratch disk files.)
                  • 6. Re: PE2  warning box while burning:  R
                    Level 1
                    I figured it out, and hope my error and symptoms can help you help someone later (due to my idiocy). I was using CD-R disks, and not DVD+R. Duh. Thus I had trouble burning, I got the error message with the R, the burning took too long, and after burning, the machine did not read a disk that I had put into the tray.

But the episode did get me to know to reduce the size of my photos once I have collected them all.

Thanks very much.