19 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2008 11:52 AM by Steve Grisetti

PE7 trial download?

paulgoelz Level 1
      I just discovered that Adobe now has a free trial of PE7. Anyone try it yet? I'll download it this evening.... I would like to upgrade to get past the instbility and quirks of PE3, but I won't pay money until I get to try it first. And even then..... not sure. I've another editor in the mean time that isn't as comprehensive as PE and has a clunky interface but dang it... it WORKS. 100%.

Paul
        • 1. Re: PE7 trial download?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          A lot depends on your system, how updated and well-maintained it is and what types of video files you plan to edit.

So the free trial is a great idea. Most reports are that this is an especially stable and well-featured version. But your mileage, as they say, may vary.
          • 2. Re: PE7 trial download?
            Level 1
            I downloaded ity and am trying it out.<br /><br />Looks good so far, you get a big "TRIAL VERSION" banner through the middle <br />of any videos but thats to be expected.<br />I encountered problems importing directly from a dvd, but once I copied the <br />.vob files to the hard disk, it worked just fine. Seems to go pretty fast on <br />my 2gb Vista machine.<br /><br />Mark<br /><br /><Paul_Goelz@adobeforums.com> wrote in message <br />news:59b6ec63.-1@webcrossing.la2eafNXanI...<br />>I just discovered that Adobe now has a free trial of PE7. Anyone try it <br />>yet? I'll download it this evening.... I would like to upgrade to get past <br />>the instbility and quirks of PE3, but I won't pay money until I get to try <br />>it first. And even then..... not sure. I've another editor in the mean time <br />>that isn't as comprehensive as PE and has a clunky interface but dang it... <br />>it WORKS. 100%.<br />><br />> Paul
            • 3. Re: PE7 trial download?
              paulgoelz Level 1
              Well, so far so good. I downloaded it and installed it. I then copied a PE3 project folder to a new folder and opened it with PE7. No issues. I created some DVD menu structures and am burning it to a folder to see what happens.

First impressions....

Memory management seems much improved. I saw my total use climb to near 1.5GB (a guaranteed crash with PE3) without issue. And much more important, it dropped back to about 900MB when I stopped rendering. PE3 NEVER did that.

PE7 fully utilizes both my CPU cores. PE3 only used about 50% of each. This is good and bad.... at 100% usage on both cores, rendering is much faster. But the PC is pretty well dominated by PE and un-usable for much else. It was handy in PE3 to be able to do something else while rendering without affecting the render. But I guess it is an obvious trade off.... more render speed or extra CPU cycles for other things.

Side comment... I am SO tired of programmers that seem to feel they have to re-invent euphemisms for everything with each new release. In this case the term "share". Of course I can figure out what it means, but what was wrong with the previous term like render or write.

Next test will be to see if I can re-master the DVD I have that was impossible to import into PE3 but easy to import and re-master in Nero. I'm hopeful ;) I'll even consider buying it if it actually works even though it still sticks in my craw that I have to pay money to get an upgrade to PE7 after having PE3 be such a frustration.

Paul
              • 4. Re: PE7 trial download?
                Glad things are so far so good, Paul. A couple of caveats though:

1) I sure wouldn't recommend opening an older version project with version 7. Sometimes it works -- often it causes buggy behavior. And it's not documented, so there are no guarantees. So, if you want to be fair in your test drive, use it with a new project, created in version 7, so you know you're not dealing with undocumented issues.

2) Although it may be able to edit previously created DVD files, that's definitely one of those functions that vary from computer to computer. Some systems can, some can't. And, if DVDs are going to be your source video files, I can sure recommend a couple of programs that can do it a whole lot more efficiently and effectively than Premiere Elements.

Premiere Elements is first and foremost a DV (miniDV camcorder) editor. It also handles HDV files well and does a pretty good job with AVCHD. But, as I said at the onset, before you spend money on this program, you really ought to consider what types of files you're going to edit and what types of video you plan to output. It could save you a lot of heartache later.

Just my unsolicited opinion anyway. ;)
                • 5. Re: PE7 trial download?
                  paulgoelz Level 1
                  Oh, I want this to be an UNFAIR test. I need a tool that does what I want without hassle. The more I can throw at it without crashing or odd behavior the better. So far, I find that I primarily need something to edit the AVIs and MP4s that come from my two cameras as well as re-master the odd DVD that I come across that needs it. If PE can do it, great. I like the interface a LOT more than the competition. But so far my experience with the competition is that clunky interface aside, it works wihout issue on ALL my video sources where PE3 did not.

My video runs the gamut from old VHS captures (MPEG2 I think) to AVI from a stil camera to MP4 from a camcorder. At some point when/if I find a flash based camcorder with excellent low light performance, that will become the primary video source. I expect it will NOT be mini-DV.... more likely MP4 / h.264.

I'm rendering (sharing) a remastered DVD that PE3 could not import (wouldn't import the audio) to a folder with DVD menus. If it can do that, I think I have a contender.

Paul
                  • 6. Re: PE7 trial download?
                    I guess if it can survive your rugged test drive, Paul, it will definitely have earned the seal of approval! :)
                    • 7. Re: PE7 trial download?
                      paulgoelz Level 1
                      Hah! So far, PE7 has captured my DVD video and audio, kept the audio in synch, added new DVD titles and chapters, and is rendering to a folder without crashing or even hiccupping. Without any issue so far. We'll know for sure in the morning (it is a 2.5 hour video... vintage TV,low quality).

I realize that video on a PC is a much bigger snake pit than I ever thought it was. But in the end, if Media Player can play a video file properly, I see no fundamental reason why an editor cannot deal with it as well. It is, after all, a simple series of still images in succession. Yes, I am being simplistic. But c'mon.....

Paul
                      • 8. Re: PE7 trial download?
                        paulgoelz Level 1
                        I am now happy to report that PE7 has taken everything I can throw at it and functioned as expected. The rendered re-mastered DVD turned out OK. So far, I have done just about everything that used to freak out PE3 and PE7 has operated 99% correctly.

The 1% was an unexpected crash on closing the program this morning. Not sure why, although I had cleared the media cache and then moved it to the desired location. After clearing it, I asked PE to move it. It said it could not find it. Not sure if that set up the crash or not.

I also noticed one other oddity..... right clicking on a WMV file results in a dialog box as usual, but the top entry is something like "ERROR: UNIDENTIFIED MEDIA ID". Selecting "open with" and a media player results in normal operation, and selecting "always open with" resets the media ID and everything is fine after that, for that file type. Not sure who hosed my media types....

So it looks like I'll swallow my objections and buy it.

One question though.... does anyone know if the serial number obtained via online trial download and subsequent purchase can be used to unlock a second copy on another PC? I don't plan on using it on my laptop but I would like the option. And can I assume that after unlocking PE7 on my desktop PC, I can then uninstall PE3? The FAQ simply says that a previous version of PE needs to be installed but does not address what happens after the upgrade is unlocked.

Paul
                        • 9. Re: PE7 trial download?
                          You can run, I think, as many as three copies of the program on various machine, as long as you own all three computers.
                          • 10. Re: PE7 trial download?
                            paulgoelz Level 1
                            Steve, are you speaking "legally" or does each copy phone home to find out about other copies?

Paul
                            • 11. Re: PE7 trial download?
                              It's legal, Paul. As long as you (on your honor) are owner of all three computers.
                              • 12. Re: PE7 trial download?
                                paulgoelz Level 1
                                Don't worry.... I do not give away licence keys. I do, however, believe strongly that if I buy a piece of software that I should be able to install it on as many PCs as I personally own, for my own private use, without having to worry about which one is "active". Looks like PE works this way.

Not that it matters much in my case. The only other candidate here is my laptop, which will probably run PE. But at 1.5GHz it won't run very well on the h.264 stuff I shoot. I am more concerned with a future time when I upgrade my desktop or reinstall on a new hard drive.
                                • 13. Re: PE7 trial download?
                                  Ozpeter Level 1
                                  >You can run, I think, as many as three copies of the program on various machine, as long as you own all three computers.

It's important to be aware of and not to stray from the terms of the Licence (see C:/Program Files/Adobe/Adobe Premiere Elements 7.0/Legal/en_US/License.html)

Some relevant extracts follow but should really be read in the context of the whole document.

"Permitted Number means one (1) unless otherwise indicated under a valid license (e.g., volume license) granted by Adobe."

"2.1 General Use. You may install and use one copy of the Software on up to the Permitted Number of your compatible Computers as long as, when required by the Software, you present a valid serial number for each copy; ..."

"2.4 Portable or Home Computer Use. Subject to the important restrictions set forth in Section 2.5, the primary user of the Computer on which the Software is installed under Section 2.1 (Primary User) may install a second copy of the Software for his or her exclusive use on either a portable Computer or a Computer located at his or her home, provided that the Software on the portable or home Computer is not used at the same time as the Software on the primary Computer. "

"2.5 Restrictions on Secondary Use by Volume Licensees. If the Software was obtained under an Adobe volume license program (currently known as Adobe Open Options) by any licensee other than an educational volume licensee, the second copy of the Software made under Section 2.4 must be used solely for the benefit and business of that volume licensee."

"2.6 Backup Copy. You may make a reasonable number of backup copies of the Software, provided your backup copies are not installed or used for other than archival purposes."

So the short answer is that normally, two installs are permitted (typically home and office, or desktop and laptop) and only one should be used at a time.
                                  • 14. Re: PE7 trial download?
                                    Thanks for the clarification, Oz.
                                    • 15. Re: PE7 trial download?
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                                      The EULA for most Adobe products is fairly clear, for an EULA anyway. There are several safe-guards built into most Adobe programs, to keep the user from straying too far from the terms set forth.

Each piece of software will be different. I have several add-ons/plug-ins for my Adobe NLE's and each is different in how many copies I can run, regardless of what the Adobe EULA states. Some allow as many instances as does Adobe (some do not even limit their use there, but without an NLE, they would be useless). Some require a separate license for each instance of that particular program: Bluff Titler, Minnetonka DD 5.1 SS SurCode Encoder and Neat Video are but three. I need a separate license for each one, regardless of how many instances of Premiere I can have.

You need to check the EULA specific to each of these very carefully. Compared to many, Adobe's specifics are quite clear and easy to follow. Some require clarification from the SW company's legal department!

Good luck,

Hunt
                                      • 16. Re: PE7 trial download?
                                        I'm also having a problem with the .vob file import. I'll try copying to disk and try it.
                                        So if PE7 is primarily miniDV, than what other program (other than Pinnacle which is simply a crash machine) would you recommend?
                                        • 17. Re: PE7 trial download?
                                          Sonic MyDVD will work natively with MPEG and VOB files.
                                          • 18. Re: PE7 trial download?
                                            Level 1
                                            I just tried copying the DVD to my hard drive and import from there. Same message:"..._TS-1.VOB This type of file is not supported or the required codec is not installed"

Is Sonic's MYDVD a decent video editor?
                                            • 19. Re: PE7 trial download?
                                              Yes.