4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2008 10:02 AM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Elements 2.0 WIND NOISE

I'm not an exact genius when it comes to Audio and would like to know how to reduce the windnoise in a clip that has a voice track underneath.
        • 1. Re: Premiere Elements 2.0 WIND NOISE
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          This comes up often and, unfortunately, there aren't many really good solutions, EW.

Some people have run the audio through the filters in a program like Audacity (a free download), but you can only reduce noise so much.

That's why even Hollywood professionals have to re-record dialog for a scene shot on a windy day.
          • 2. Re: Premiere Elements 2.0 WIND NOISE
            Level 1
            Ok Steve,

How can I output the audio into the Audacity program? I've tried several different ways, but no luck.
            • 3. Re: Premiere Elements 2.0 WIND NOISE
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
              One way is to put the clip on your timeline, then choose File/Export/Audio. (If this option is grayed out, click on the timeline to select it and try again.)

Once you've cleaned up the audio, you can import back into your project and use it in place of your clip's original audio.
              • 4. Re: Premiere Elements 2.0 WIND NOISE
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                E.W.

Here is a good tutorial on "removal" of background noise. It is based on Adobe Audition, but other than the exact setting and filters used, should translate to most audio tools. You may have to read "between the lines" a bit, but it'll get you started:
                http://www.wrigleyvideo.com/videotutorial/tut_audition.htm

Do not expect miracles, as Steve points out. Also plan on doing a lot of listening and trial-n-error.

Good luck,

Hunt