3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2008 5:48 AM by (Luker)

Output video to USB flash drive using Premiere Elements 7?

Is it possible to output a finished project to a USB-connected flash drive instead of burning it to a DVD? I want to be able to plug the flash drive into another computer and have the video play in the absence of Premiere.
        • 1. Re: Output video to USB flash drive using Premiere Elements 7?
          Ozpeter Level 1
          I would expect that PE7 wouldn't care that it's a flash drive - it'll see it as any other drive, onto which you could "share" a DVD structure, that would then play on any other PC using software capable of playing DVD folders.

My inclination would be to create the DVD folder on the PC's hard drive first, then copy it 'manually' onto the flash drive afterwards, as the flash drive may slow up the render process.
          • 2. Re: Output video to USB flash drive using Premiere Elements 7?
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
            And, of course, it all depends on what you want to play on this second computer.

Are you looking for a full-quality AVI? A DVD file? A Windows Media or Quicktime file?

Rather than sharing directly to your device, use the Share/Personal Computer setting and create the file format you want on your hard drive. Then simply transfer it to your flash drive with Windows Explorer.
            • 3. Re: Output video to USB flash drive using Premiere Elements 7?
              Level 1
              Ozpeter and Steve, thanks for the timely reply. My problem is I didn't think the issue through enough to fully ask the question. I thought perhaps DVD players had auxillary USB inputs, but checked and mine at least don't. I guess that leaves me with a Windows Media file that would play on laptops or desktops, but then maybe a DVD file would work better.

I have a nearly 4GB DVD comprised of family picture slideshows sandwiching a series of video clips that works just fine on my computers, TV, portable DVD player and player/projector. I'd love to be able to carry that file around on, say, a Kingston Data Traveler to show others.

As I understand it, I need to again render this show, saving it to my hard drive, and then copy that output to my portable USB device.