5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2008 10:14 PM by (Frederick_Parks)

Newly added scenes are undersized after burn to DVD

Help!! I have a project mostly originating from footage shot with my Canon mini-DV camcorder set to 16:9 format. The resulting production was all good until I added additional scenes taken from a second camcorder, a Sony that was set to 4:3 proportions. After inserting the new material, I used the crop tool to draw the top and bottom in 12.5% each to achieve the wide format. In the monitor window, everything matches perfectly. However, when I burned the project to a DVD from the Share panel, the new scenes all were undersized on the TV screen, with either a black border or the edges of the primary video track as the border. Those were the ones where the new scenes were placed in video track 2 and using audio only from the primary track (deleted audio from track 2 video).
      Please, how the heck do I get these new scenes to render so that they fill the TV screen fully, as the rest of the project does? I don't have a clue, and the help files are not helpful.
        • 1. Re: Newly added scenes are undersized after burn to DVD
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          Rather than cropping the 4:3 (which just makes it smaller) try scaling it up to 133%. It will then fill the 16:9 screen and the tops and bottoms will automatically be cut off.
          • 2. Re: Newly added scenes are undersized after burn to DVD
            Level 1
            Steve,
            Thanks for the reply. However, now that I am looking at the edit effects for the clips, what I'm seeing is that there is no option to scale up to 133% or any other oversize. Crop is just that: crop in to any reduction, but no upscale, expand, zoom-in, or whatever you might call it. For now, I'm may just de-select crop for each video2 clip so that at least I'll only have bars on the ends, but that's not what I want, obviously.
            Can you or anyone else tell me how to do what you suggested? I search the website but don't find anything at all about this.
            (forgot to mention in original post this is PE7 I'm using.)
            • 3. Re: Newly added scenes are undersized after burn to DVD
              Level 1
              Oops, never mind. I see the zoom check box which will let me do just what you described. That should work, eh?
              • 4. Re: Newly added scenes are undersized after burn to DVD
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
                I don't think so. Where do you see a zoom box?

Scaling is in the Properties for a clip. To access it, right-click on a clip on the timeline and select Show Properties, then open the Motion properties listing.

All of this is covered in a lot of detail in my book for version 7, Frederick. In case you're interested in a more complete discussion of the program.
                • 5. Re: Newly added scenes are undersized after burn to DVD
                  Level 1
                  Hmmm...somehow I missed that feature. It's what I needed, for sure. Guess this PE newbie needs to keep studying the instructional stuff. That said, however, here is a link to a screen capture of the properties panel showing the zoom check box that I referred to: http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h305/fapar47/PE7capture.jpg With the zoom checked and pushing all four sliders out 16.5%, I achieved the 133% overscan. The final result as seen on an LCD TV was what I wanted, apart from the inevitable loss of resolution. That was a sacrifice I was willing to make. Am I correct assuming that my solution gave the exact same end result as using the Motion control?

Thanks for your help, and also for the heads-up on your book. I'll be getting that soon. After I bought the program I checked at two different library systems for books on PE7 and didn't find anything for versions newer than 2; not too helpful.