11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2008 5:30 PM by Robert J. Johnston

Frames dropped during capture

I have Premiere Elements 2.0 running on a Dell Dimension 4550 with 1 GB of RAM. I am trying to capture video from my Sony Mini DV Digital Handycam DCR-TRV22 using a Firewire. I have set the device control to Sony TRV 25 and get an Online status. When I capture video it does so in jumps, not a smooth picture; eventually after a couple of minutes, capture stops and I get the error: Frames dropped during capture. I hit OK and then get the error: Unknown recording error. What am I doing wrong?
        • 1. Re: Frames dropped during capture
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          There could be a number of issues, including background processes interrupting, virus software (or anything Norton) interfering or spyware.

Your specs (a Pentium 4 2.66 ghz processor) are also rather minimum for this software, particularly if you're capturing to the 60 gig hard drive that comes with this computer.

You may be able to streamline some of your problems by optimizing XP's performance, per the FAQs at the top of this forum:
          http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc147e7

Your computer could also benefit from some software maintenance.
          http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc43f9a

And you may want to invest in a second hard drive, since you'll get best performance with at least 30-50 gigs of free space on your hard drive.

Meantime, if all else fails, you can capture using a low resource capture utility like the free WinDV. These AVI files will import perfectly into Premiere Elements.
          • 2. Re: Frames dropped during capture
            Level 1
            Thanks, those are all good suggestions. I actually have a 150GB second interenal HD that I am capturing to, could that be the problem?
            • 3. Re: Frames dropped during capture
              Is the drive set up in the BIOS as well as the operating system? (That's the blue logo screen that comes on when you start your computer, before Windows boots up; you usually have to press ESC or F1 to get into it.)

Is your drive formatted NTFS rather than FAT32 (which is how they come from the factory)? To find out, open My Computer, right-click on your drive(s) and select Properties.

Improperly set up second drives can certainly bog down your system.
              • 4. Re: Frames dropped during capture
                Level 1
                Sorry Steve, I don't understand the first question. I see the blue logo when I start the computer, but I don't press ESC or F1 to continue the startup.

I will check the formatting of the second drive.

Thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated.
                • 5. Re: Frames dropped during capture
                  Try pressing ESC or F1 (it varies from brand to brand of computer) when that logo comes up, before Windows starts booting. This will get you into a set-up area, which is where your BIOS lives.

If you haven't been in here since installing that second drive, it could be why you're seeing such poor performance.

You need to install that drive in the BIOS set-up area in addition to having it recognized by your operating system.
                  • 6. Re: Frames dropped during capture
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    Randal,

It might be a bit tough on a fast computer, especially if the BIOS are not set to show POST at boot-up, a common setting nowadays. As Steve says, the exact key will differ by your BIOS brand.

You may not actually see the particular logo screen, that Steve is talking about. I'd do a cold-boot and immediately tap the ESC key. If this does not get you into your BIOS Setup, then repeat, but tap the F1 key. When I say "immediately," I mean immediately upon hitting the Power On button.

With older computers, you had about 5 sec. to get into Setup, but not anymore. On my laptop, I still have trouble hitting the F8 key fast enough to boot Windows into Safe Mode. I miss it, more than I get it. Could also be that I've been away from gaming for too many decades, and my gunfighter reflexes ain't what they used to be, but I'll just blame it on faster computers. I have the same problem with trying to flush my Preferences in Adobe programs, gotta' hit the Shift-Ctrl-Alt key at precisely the right time. [Exact key combo does differ with some Adobe programs]

Also, if you can give us the name of your BIOS, say "Award," we might be able to give the exact key to hit for Setup. If you have the MoBo manual, it will be in there, plus the correct key. You still have to be quick, however.

Good luck,

Hunt
                    • 7. Re: Frames dropped during capture
                      Level 1
                      Thanks Hunt, I will try to get the information about my BIOS as soon as I get back from Thanksgiving.

Happy Thanksgiving,

Randy
                      • 8. Re: Frames dropped during capture
                        PeterFDuke Level 1
                        I have to press the Delete key soon after starting in order to enter BIOS setup. With CRT monitors, they may not warm up soon enough for you to see the setup info which flashes on the screen for only a few seconds. (Perhaps I'm the last one on Earth with a CRT monitor!)
                        • 9. Re: Frames dropped during capture
                          Robert J. Johnston Level 2
                          Since Steve brought up Norton, I've been using Norton Anti-Virus 2009 for about a month now without any problems. If you uninstall it, you can uninstall "everything." And you can conveniently turn it off for specified lengths of time. AVG on the otherhand is a virus as far as I'm concerned.
                          • 10. Re: Frames dropped during capture
                            AVG has indeed turned into bloatware, Robert. On the other hand, Avast is free and leaves a very small footprint.

Norton, on the other hand, is so notoriously bad, that there are sites out there that post detailed instructions for removing it.

Though your mileage may vary.
                            • 11. Re: Frames dropped during capture
                              Robert J. Johnston Level 2
                              Symantec may have been listening. And then you have to go with what works with the other apps on your computer. It seems that each year you have to reevaluate the anti-virus applications.

As far as frames dropping, you've probably got it covered in the FAQ. I know from personal experience that having the IDE ATA/ATAPI Primary and Secondary Channels configured in device manager AND the BIOS to use PIO instead of Ultra DMA caused very similar problems as the poster.