6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2009 11:32 PM by Letmethink

Audio in Main menu (Premiere elements 4.0)

Hi,
      When i create menu for my dvd-project i would like to have an audio-file to be running in the background when the main menu is active. I have choosen an audiofile for this but in the settings for "Duration" for the audio i can't change the default time 00:00:30 (30 sec), when i do and then save it changes back to 30 sec again.

What am I doing wrong?

Best regards
      Urban
        • 1. Re: Audio in Main menu (Premiere elements 4.0)
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          As with virtually all DVD authoring software, you can not create a video or audio background loop longer than 30 seconds, Urban.
          • 2. Re: Audio in Main menu (Premiere elements 4.0)
            Level 1
            Dats right Urban,

technically it is not feasible. authoring softwares are designed in this way.
            however i am not too sure but i think i read it somewhere that by making some changes to some registry entries enable such a thing. But its not a very good idea to do such a thing you see.
            you can however select the particular portion you intent to hear in Premiere Elements.

Thanks
            Daniel.
            • 3. Re: Audio in Main menu (Premiere elements 4.0)
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              Urban,

There are other authoring programs, that impose longer limits, and a very few that allow almost unlimited control. However, none is cheap and the ones that allow that unlimited control are horribly expensive, plus everything MUST be done by hand. Sonic Scenarist is one, and the full-boat version (all modules and plug-ins) will set you back US$50,000.00!

I use Adobe Encore (unfortunately not sold as a stand-alone any more), and can use a longer Duration, but is still limited. If one structures the Audio file correctly, it will "seem" to play forever, though it is actually looping, and the Menu is set to Loop Forever. The aural impression to the user is that the music is one infinitely long piece, when it is really just a loop. Obviously, one needs to compose the music, so that the ending flows into the beginning. This limits one on what music can be used. I have a few dozen pieces that have been structured this way in SmartSound, but you can't just grab an MP3 on-line and expect it to sound right. You need a lot of repetition in the music, itself.

Also, ask yourself the question: "how long do I REALLY want the user to listen to the Audio on a Menu, before they take some action, or the Menu automatically goes to a Timeline to play?"

Hunt
              • 4. Re: Audio in Main menu (Premiere elements 4.0)
                Level 1
                I have burned my first DVD with PRE 7.
                In the main menu and sub menu the loop (the background music) does not play entirely. For at the end of the loop it jumps about 200 ms earlier to the start. A pity.
                But when previewing the menu's (in the Disc Menu monitor), the loops play perfect.
                [Loops made with Audition 3].

With Cyberlink DVD Suite this jumping is a bit more notacible then when playing with Windows Media Player 11.
                I did not test it with a standalone DVD player yet.

In the Project window the duration of the loop for the main menu shows
                00.00.17.126 ms. But in the Disc Menu window it shows, right after inserting the wav file (the loop), 00.00.17.0 ms.
                And you can not make this larger, only smaller. It's the same thing with the sub menu.
                But when previewing the menu's (in the Disc Menu monitor), the loops play perfect.

Does anybody knows a solution, please?
                • 5. Re: Audio in Main menu (Premiere elements 4.0)
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
                  Ben, if you're looking for help, you may want to start your own thread rather than tagging onto this one, which hasn't had activity in nearly five months.
                  • 6. Re: Audio in Main menu (Premiere elements 4.0)
                    Letmethink Level 1

Premiere Elements supoprt max audio duration upto 30 sec. as background audio.