6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2008 8:14 PM by (grooble)

Imported video files sound cuts out 3/4 through video

I am using Premiere Elements 3, and my operating system is Windows XP. Every video clip I import into a Premiere Elements project from a file, when I play the clip in Elements, the sound cuts out. It seems to always happen 3/4 of the way into the clip. The sound stutters a split second then is completely gone. The clips play completely fine in any other video player or editing program I open them in. The problem happens on two different computers I have tried it on. The clips I'm trying to import are DV format avis. They have been edited previously in other programs, so that might have something to do with it. Any help would be very appreciated, since this issue makes the program completely useless.
        • 1. Re: Imported video files sound cuts out 3/4 through video
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          First, make sure you have the latest firmware, RealTek audio drivers and Quicktime, per the FAQs at the top of this forum.
          http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3c057647/2

Second, is the audio on these files cutting out randomly or does it always cut out at the same spot every time you play the clips?
          • 2. Re: Imported video files sound cuts out 3/4 through video
            Level 1
            Righ Click on the slip and select "Unlink Audio and Video". Now, Select the audio track and cut the part where you see the audio drop. Double click this part in Premiere Lements and tell us if you can hear the sound. I just want to establish is it the length of the udio which is causing the problem or there is something premiere elements is not being able to figure out at that particular point. Of course first follow the advice given by Steve and update your firmware.
            • 3. Re: Imported video files sound cuts out 3/4 through video
              Level 1
              I updated everything, including quicktime. The audio files always cut out at the exact same spot.

Kami-Kaze: I did what you said, and the sound is exactly the same when I with the individual clips split apart as it was all together.
              • 4. Re: Imported video files sound cuts out 3/4 through video
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                Craig,

This is odd behavior indeed. I have never read of this problem in any of the forums, as I recall.

First thing that I would do is look at the Audio file in Audition (my Audio editor), or in Audacity, a freeware Audio editor. This can be done several ways:

De-mux the file into elemental streams in a 3rd party utility, or

Export Audio only from PE, or

Unlink the Audio & Video and Copy just the Audio, Pasting it into Audition, or Audacity.

In P-Pro, there is an extra choice, "Edit in Audition" (or Soundbooth), and this is what I would use, so there is no chance that an Export of the Audio would change something.

Once into the Audio editor, I'd study the file, especially at the 3/4 section, to see what might be happening there.

Now a question: do you experience this behavior with ALL mux'ed AV files, or just the ones in this particular Project?

I know that PE4 comes with some "sample files" that are mux'ed Audio & Video. If PE3 did, as well, give them a try, just to see if it is a systemic problem, or something in just these particular Assets.

If you wish, you can e-mail me (click my name and see my e-mail link in my profile) and I'll be glad to run one through Audition for you. Just make sure that the Subject of any e-mail has Adobe Premiere in it, so my mailwasher doesn't chuck it out with the spam.

Another step would be to run the file through G-Spot (www.headbands.com/gspot), a freeware file analysis program, to see if it can spot any problems. It can also render both the Audio & the Video and play it, if you have all of the proper CODECs on your machine. It will tell you if you do, and can also indicate problems with the renders.

Good luck,

Hunt
                • 5. Re: Imported video files sound cuts out 3/4 through video
                  Hi I was using Premier Elements 4 and have just upgraded to Premier Elements 7 and have started to see the same issue. The problem is not that the sound is cut off but that the video track is too long. Every one of my MP4 encoded videos from 2 different video cameras has the same issue. Separating the audio and video and using the time stretch tool to compress the video track, finally cutting off the dead time at the end of the audio track makes things right, audio and video sync'd correctly but, really, I'm so not doing this every time I need to do a project. Any answers? This did not happen to me in Prem 4.

I'm using XP with SP3 and all my files were recorded on either Sanyo Xacti HD1000 or Sanyo Xacti VPC-E2. Both use H.264 compression and SD cards. Resolutions were varied up to full 1080i
                  • 6. Re: Imported video files sound cuts out 3/4 through video
                    I'm having the same problem and I believe it's to do with the frame rate.
                    Footage shot in the TV-HR format (640x480 60fps HR) appears to be in slow motion and therefore the sound finishes partway through the scene.
                    Re-shot at TV-SHQ (640x480 30fps SHQ) eliminates the problem.

No Idea how to fix this. I might hunt around a bit more and then write to Adobe for a solution. I'll keep you posted on this thread.