10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 27, 2008 12:54 AM by (dmb)

PE4 slow to load and no audio from clips.

I just recently reformatted my computer and saved all of my current projects that I was working on to an external hard drive. When I was done reformatting the pc and reinstalled PE4 I moved my projects back to my computer in the Adobe folder but now the program hardly works.

It takes 3x longer to load than it used to and when I pick a project the CPU usage jumps to 99% and stays there for around 30 minutes. When the program does load the project none of the audio from the clips I had been using work. Never had a problem with the program till now. Please help!!!
        • 1. Re: PE4 slow to load and no audio from clips.
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          Are you using a Vista SP1 or an XP SP3 operating system? Is all of your firmware, RealTek drivers and Quicktime updated?

Also, try uninstalling Premiere Elements and then reinstalling it.

Reformatting a hard drive is a very drastic operation, Lumanaire. You may need to visit Windows Update several times (rebooting between each update) to get all the updates, and then it could take a while to clean up all the temp files and get your system defragmented and tuned up again.
          • 2. Re: PE4 slow to load and no audio from clips.
            Level 1
            I am using xp sp3. I have downloaded all the updates I can from Microsoft's site and defragged my computer. What are the RealTek drivers?
            • 3. Re: PE4 slow to load and no audio from clips.
              Level 1
              I just downloaded the GSpot program and according to it every clip that doesn't work in PE4 is using the codec 0x0055 MPEG-1 Layer 3 and says that it is installed on my computer.
              • 4. Re: PE4 slow to load and no audio from clips.
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
                I think you're onto it, Lumanaire.

I'd try to use a program like VirtualDubMOD or something similar to convert those files to DV-AVIs, per the FAQs at the top of this forum.
                http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc4800e
                • 5. Re: PE4 slow to load and no audio from clips.
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  Lumanaire,

MPEG-1 can be troublesome. I get these, from time to time. Though I have all the proper CODECs installed on the system, Widows Media Player will not play them. VLC Player, and Media Player Classic do with no problem. I do not know exactly why WMP cannot use the CODECs, but it cannot. I would assume a similar issue with PE, especially as it display engine was changed from FFDshow, when Premiere Pro and Encore moved away from it.

I really like Steve's advice of getting all Assets into a common form, prior to Import. I get handed a bunch of different formats to work from, and always do the conversion outside of my NLE. Some of those Assets *might* work, but there are usually problems at some point. Might just be sluggishness, or more serious glitches, but with full DVD-spec Audio & Video going in, there have never been problems.

I use a different converter, but that is just my workflow. I'll load it up with all of my Assets, and do a batch convert, while I'm setting up my Project, and maybe having lunch. Then, the Import is quick and flawless, as is the editing. Note: I'm Exporting to DVD as my final on 95% of my Projects.

Hunt

PS, some folk insist that any and all NLE's should handle every known format, even obscure Japanese cell-phone CODECs. I say just convert outside of the NLE and be done with it. If the "horse is dead," why continue to beat on it...
                  • 6. Re: PE4 slow to load and no audio from clips.
                    Level 1
                    Install some video/audio codec packs depend on format (mpeg or avi...) and then open existing project. Check system audio working fine.
                    • 7. Re: PE4 slow to load and no audio from clips.
                      Hey there,

I'm having a similar (or maybe even the same?) problem...

I've never had this happen in PE before...all of a sudden, no matter WHAT format the clip I'm trying to import is in, I get a dead audio track. It's there, it's just totally blank and silent. I've tried an AVI, an MPEG-2 and now a WMV. I am not using a camera, nor is there anything unusual plugged into my computer. Like I said, PE used to work just fine. I'm running XP, if that helps...
                      • 8. Re: PE4 slow to load and no audio from clips.
                        I am having a variant of this problem. I have just gotten round to installing PrE 4, and have encountered unreasonable delays loading new video media from DVDs to a project, and starting saved projects which include video. These delays make the program useless to me. I am about to go back to PrE 3, where I never experienced these problems. I have waited 30 minutes for a project to load. I am running PrE on a windows XP professional OS with sufficient memory according to program specs. Any ideas??
                        • 9. Re: PE4 slow to load and no audio from clips.
                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                          Emily & Paul,

What are the specs of the AV files that you are loading? I use G-Spot to get that info. It's freeware at www.headbands.com/gspot.

It is most likely that PE has to spend time conforming the Audio and creating the PEK (waveform display) files to work from. The Audio drop out/loss of sync/disappearance is most often associated with DivX and Xvid CODECs. Some other AV files can be lacking either the Audio, or the Video. This is dependent on the CODECs used to create those files, or the lack of the proper CODECs to decode them.

I always convert any non-DV-AVI file to DV-AVI outside of Premiere, before Import. The time is less (using my converter), than letting Premiere carry that load. Things are quicker, and nearly always fail-safe.

I happen to use DigitalMedia Converter (Deskshare Software), and have all necessary CODECs installed on my systems - DMC does not come with any CODECs, i.e. they must be installed properly first.

Good luck,

Hunt
                          • 10. Re: PE4 slow to load and no audio from clips.
                            Level 1
                            please see my post regarding this issue: http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b75868