6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2008 8:10 AM by the_wine_snob

Can you have different set in and set out points on same audio clip?

I am using the same audio clip two different times in my timeline. The first time is at the beginning where it only plays about 30 seconds. The second time is at the end of my slideshow where I want it to play about 3 minutes. When I drug it down to the timeline the second time and tried to change the set in and set out points, they would not budge.

Do I have to add the same audio file a second time (name1 and name2 files) in order to have different set in and set out points for different positions on the timeline? If so, does that mean the movie file size will increase each time the same audio file is added? If so and file size is critical, I suppose I could edit the 30 second clip down to 30 seconds before importing.

I think PE4 should "remember" different set points for different positions on the timeline. If it does work that way, how do I set the points the second time?
      Thanks for your response.
        • 1. Re: Can you have different set in and set out points on same audio clip?
          the_wine_snob Level 9
          This is possible in P-Pro, so I *assume* that it would be the same, or similar, in PE.

In Pro, you dbl-click the Asset (WAV, etc.) in the Project Panel, to open it in the Source Monitor. There, you set the In and Out Points, and drag from the Source Monitor to the Timeline Audio Track, where you wish this "instance" of the Audio Clip to be. Reset the In and Out Points and repeat, dragging to the Timeline and placing the second "instance" of the Audio Clip. The same can be done for Video Clips.

There could be a few differences, but I'd guess that they would be subtle, when doing this in PE. Others, more familiar with its workings can comment to correct the actual workflow for PE.

Note: you may have to Unlink the Audio & Video, if your Asset is a mux'ed (multi-plexed = Audio & Video in one file). In Pro, this can be done with an Alt-click on just the Audio, or a rt-click on the Audio>Unlink. Also, in Pro, you have the option of rt-click>Edit in Audition, or Soundbooth, which will Render & Replace with a separate instance of the Audio, and you can alter it (Duration, Effects, Amplitude, etc.) there. When you Save out of Audition, the altered version will replace the original version, but if you Save_As and then Import THAT file into your Project, you'll have the altered version to use however you wish.

Depending on exactly how you work, and how you wish to use these instances, one method may suit you better.

Hunt
          • 2. Re: Can you have different set in and set out points on same audio clip?
            <Delta_Austin@adobeforums.com> wrote in message<br />news:59b70a40.-1@webcrossing.la2eafNXanI<br /><br />> I am using the same audio clip two different times in my<br />> timeline. The first time is at the beginning where it<br />> only plays about 30 seconds. The second time is at the<br />> end of my slideshow where I want it to play about 3<br />> minutes.<br /><br />Been there, done that.<br /><br />> When I drug it down to the timeline the second<br />> time and tried to change the set in and set out points,<br />> they would not budge.<br /><br />????<br /><br />> Do I have to add the same audio file a second time (name1<br />> and name2 files) in order to have different set in and<br />> set out points for different positions on the timeline?<br /><br />No.<br /><br />Just drag it in a second time from the projects list of media clips.<br /><br />Or, select it, edit copy, and then move down the time line and do an edit, <br />paste.<br /><br /><br />> If so, does that mean the movie file size will increase<br />> each time the same audio file is added?<br /><br />No. PE is a non-destructive editor.<br /><br /><br />> I think PE4 should "remember" different set points for<br />> different positions on the timeline.<br /><br />My PE4 does.<br /><br />> If it does work that way, how do I set the points the second time?<br /><br />I just drag and drop the ends.
            • 3. Re: Can you have different set in and set out points on same audio clip?
              Level 1
              Bill & Arny,

Thank you for replying. Now that I know the same audio clip can be used more than once with different set points, I figured out what I was doing wrong. I was dragging the file from the project bin and then double clicking on it in the timeline to bring up the Preview window to adjust the length. Doing it that way, I could not move the set points out to make the segment longer although I could move the set point in to make that segment shorter.

The right way to adjust set points of a previously used audio clip is to double click on the file that is in the project bin--not after it is drug onto the timeline. When the Preview window comes up you can move the set points anywhere you want and then drag it down from the Preview window to the timeline.

Whenever you drag a previously used audio file (with set points adjustments) directly from the project bin--not from the Preview window, it is by default the same length as the previous clip and its set points cannot be changed to lengthen the clip.
              • 4. Re: Can you have different set in and set out points on same audio clip?
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                Delta,

You are correct in your observations. I probably did confuse things a bit, as I used the terminology from P-Pro, where everything is a Panel, i.e. Project Panel. PE calls the same general items by other names, and I'm not really fluent in its terminology.

But, yes - the Asset is adjusted in the Source Monitor by dbl-clicking on it in the Project Panel. From the Source Monitor, it is then drageed (in its adjusted form) to the Timeline. This places an edited "instance" of that Asset on the Timeline. The original Asset is not harmed and all of it is still available for later use/re-use.

The same applies to Video. I use Black Video a lot. First thing that I do is create if (via New icon) and it comes into the Project Panel as a 5 sec. Black Video (the default setting in Edit>Preferences). I do not bother changing that, as I will use the default setting for most other Assets that apply. I dbl-click on the 5 sec. Black Video, and adjust its Duration to 2 sec. (what I use most often) and then re-name it to 02sec Black Video. I will use a dozen, or so, instances of this in my Projects. However, if I need to modify any of those instances, I can drag in (shorter), or out (longer), as is necessary. Same for other Video Assets, if I have set their In & Out points in the Source Monitor. Same for Audio Assets.

For most of my editing, I'd do the In & Out points on the Timeline, but for many, the Source Monitor is the preferred place to do that.

Hunt
                • 5. Re: Can you have different set in and set out points on same audio clip?
                  Level 1
                  Bill, I figured out what you were talking about, so I did some experimenting with the clip bin and Preview window--I don't know all the terminology either. Thanks for the application about the Black Video too--that'll give me something else to try. Thanks again for your input.
                  • 6. Re: Can you have different set in and set out points on same audio clip?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    Delta,

I completely understand the "jargon" aspect. I came from a cinema background and NLE terminology was almost Greek to me. I still mis-type "Fade to Black," when the proper Adobe term is "Dip to Black." Also, the GUI naming conventions between Pro and PE are not parallel either. I still call "Folders" (Adobe Encore) "Bins" (PE and Pro terms). That old cinema work is probably one reason, that I do most of my work on the Timeline - we didn't have "Source Monitors" per se then, just the film on a couple of platters with black leader between the Clips, alternating from our A to B rolls - very linear back in those days.

If you are not able to get exactly what you want, come back with more questions. We'll find the answers.

Hunt