20 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2008 6:35 PM by Steve Grisetti

PE3 Error - A Serious Error has occurreed...

I've been using PE3 for over a year and today I (during a project creation) received the following error, "Sorry, a serious error has occurred that requires Adobe Premiere Elements to shut down. We will attempt to save the current project.".

Now everytime I restart PE3 I get a similar error and it dumps me. I've removed/re-installed the product but no help. I ran virus check and Ad-aware. Everything else works well on my machine as far as I can tell.

Any ideas would be most appreciated.
        • 1. Re: PE3 Error - A Serious Error has occurreed...
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          How much free, defragmented space is on your hard drive? Have you run maintenance on this drive on a regular basis, per the FAQs at the top of this forum?
          http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc43f9a

And is this problem unique to this project or do you have the same problems if you start a new project and you load several clips onto the timeline?
          • 2. Re: PE3 Error - A Serious Error has occurreed...
            I just upgraded to Premiere 7 from earlier version. I was able to open one previous project file but not any of the others. I don't understand this since the one that opened was the biggest one. When I try to open a file created in an earlier version I get the message: "Sorry, a serious error has occurred that requires Adobe Premiere Elements to shut down. We will attempt to save the current project."
            I unloaded and reloaded the Adobe program. I just defragmented the drive, it did not. None of this has worked and I still can't open files made in previous versions.
            Can anyone help?
            • 3. Re: PE3 Error - A Serious Error has occurreed...
              Why not start your own thread instead of tagging onto J's, Sarah? That way we can work with you without trying to have two conversations at once.
              • 4. Re: PE3 Error - A Serious Error has occurreed...
                Level 1
                Thanks for the quick responses.

More info... My OS is XP at current patch level. Yesterday when the prob developed, I was ~6 hours in to a project using lots of key frames. I have >80GB avail on my HDD and will follow Steve's suggestion in post 1, above. I noticed PE was not responding correctly to the brightness commands as it started zooming images instead of managing brightness on files in which zoom >100% was set. Because of this I was saving incremental files every hour or so. At the moment the problem occurred, I was setting key frames for a panaramic I had just placed in the timeline (my second of 3 planned).

Thread: Steve, I don't know how to go about setting a thread as suggested in post 3. If you mean to stay with this one, I will. Thoughts?

BTW, Steve I came across your book on Amazon last week and it's in the mail as we speak. Small world.

Thaanks all.
                • 5. Re: PE3 Error - A Serious Error has occurreed...
                  Level 1
                  More: This probllem is evident with the existing project and with a new or blank project. The fault occurs ~30 seconds after launch. Before the error closes down PE, I'm able to navigate and even run the timeline (play movie in preview).
                  • 6. Re: PE3 Error - A Serious Error has occurreed...
                    What is your source video? If you're using photos (and it sounds like you are) have you optimized them so that they are no larger than 1000x750 pixels in size?
                    • 7. Re: PE3 Error - A Serious Error has occurreed...
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      J Phillippi,

Steve's comment in post #3 was to Sarah, who is experiencing a similar, but different problem. The reason is based partly on how Adobe's forum displays, and its inability to allow direct replies to an individual post. Some forums allow better "branching" of threads. Some, even so far as listing exactly to which post, the reply is being made. Even with that method, confusion can, and does, set in. Your thread is fine. It is Sarah's, that would benefit from being started separately, so eveyone knows to whom, they are responding, and exactly what set of problems exist.

It is troublesome that now, even a blank Project causes your error. If this happens before you even Import any Assets, something is wrong at either your program's level, or at your system's level. Have you updated/changed
                      b ANYTHING
                      at the system level, OS update, etc.?

As Steve states, post #6, Assets, especially over-sized still Assets, can cause a myriad of problems. These would be entirely separate though, if an empty Project causes your error. These could be addressed, once you get a new, clean Project to behave.

Before we start guessing, and start making suggestions of uninstall/reinstalls, or wipping the OS and starting from scratch, give some thought to anything (and I mean ANYthing) that might have changed, whether automatically (automatic updates, etc.) or manually, requiring input on your part. Even updates to programs like your anti-virus can cause a ripple of problems with programs, because these usually reset your preferences for that program, and now it's set to its default, which might interfer with PE. Norton, SpySweeper and StopZilla are three that do this. I happen to use all three and have them set to full manual for any updates. When I do these updates, I then have to go in and reset all preferences to MY default settings, not theirs. If I left any on automatic, there is no telling what changes they'd make. These types of programs are designed for the average computer, not an NLE editing computer. Ninety percent of the users will never have a problem, but folk, such as we, often will.

Chances are good, that something was added, or was changed, to mess up PE. It is also probable that a simpe "correction" is all that is needed, but you have be the detective here. Then we can address the possible problems with your specific Assets and Project. Gotta' get a clean, new Project to work first though.

Hang in there and please get back with any info, thoughts and ideas, that you may have along the lines of any changes.

Hunt
                      • 8. Re: PE3 Error - A Serious Error has occurreed...
                        Level 1
                        Steve & Bill,

Actually my photo files are likely bigger than recommended (I've been shooting big and wide then zooming in using PE). I'll take Bill's suggestion and then Steve's to optimize to see if I can get a blank project to run/behave. Once that happens, I'll skinny the files down in the actual project.

I did notice a MS update waiting to run a couple of hours after the prob was noticed. I'll investigate that and see if I can back it out.

I'll post later and advise. I plan to stay w/this as i have a commitment to a friend. BTW: I just love Premiere.

Thanks all. John
                        • 9. Re: PE3 Error - A Serious Error has occurreed...
                          Level 1
                          NG guys.

I ran virus scan (ESET NOD 32), created a restore point, was unable to identify the MS fix that updated on 11/16 (no rollback), removed PE3, cleared browser cache (IE7 and Firefox), downloaded and ran Advance Windows Care V2, defragged, reloaded PE3 but I still fail w/the error, even on a blank project. What a bummer.

My hunch is a registry corruption or a late breaking virus (don't really think it's a virus).

Thoughts? Thanks,

John
                          • 10. Re: PE3 Error - A Serious Error has occurreed...
                            Doesn't sound like virus or any kind of corruption. But there could be a lot of miscellaneous temp and junk files from the failed attempts.

Have you run my maintenance regimen, particularly running Advamced Windows Care. I'll bet it will find hundreds of megabytes of junk.
                            http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc43f9a
                            • 11. Re: PE3 Error - A Serious Error has occurreed...
                              Level 1
                              Hey Steve,

Yes, I ran Advance Windows Care V2 (as well as everything else on the link page, even removed aw-aware and Search & Destroy). Also, I went to Adobe and did all suggested in http://www.adobe.com/go/kb406747.

I followed a link from Advance Windows Care V2 to a Registry 3.3 product. The freeware cites 1700 problems but steers me to a for-fee download. I don't know if this is legit or a come-on. I decided to hold off until I heard from you guys.
                              • 12. Re: PE3 Error - A Serious Error has occurreed...
                                It's probably legit but shouldn't be necessary. Advanced Windows Care should clean out your registry for you.
                                • 13. Re: PE3 Error - A Serious Error has occurreed...
                                  Level 1
                                  I Think you should clean up your preferences, sometinmes, even uninstalling the programe does nto remove the corrupted preferences file. remove the folder at following location:
                                  C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\Premiere Elements

Also move your existing project from following location, since PE will try to open the project last created, it may crash with any corrupted file in the project.
                                  • 14. Re: PE3 Error - A Serious Error has occurreed...
                                    Level 1
                                    Thanks Steve and Kami,

I did all in post 13. Grrrrrrrr. I'm under deadline. Q: Is there an instruction out there to move the project to another computer? I'm on XP but my laptop is Vista Prem w/2GB RAM. Thoughts?

Thanks again.
                                    • 15. Re: PE3 Error - A Serious Error has occurreed...
                                      The program's Project Archiver will move the project and all supporting files to another drive.
                                      • 16. Re: PE3 Error - A Serious Error has occurreed...
                                        Level 1
                                        Steve, I'll move the project to the other machine tonight. Do you know of anything else I could/should try w/the problem system? I hate the thought of rebuilding the system but it looks like that's my only option.

Thanks for staying w/this.

John
                                        • 17. Re: PE3 Error - A Serious Error has occurreed...
                                          Level 1
                                          Steve, I just realized that project archiver won't work as PE3 will crash before I have a chance to run the tool. What luck would I have by just copying over the My Documents file and reload the images on the new machine?
                                          • 18. Re: PE3 Error - A Serious Error has occurreed...
                                            Something is definitely wrong somewhere, J. It really does sound like something is choking your machine. And it's certainly beyond a bug of some sort in the software itself.

And this even though you've got a clean, well-maintained, freshly defragmented system with adequate power, lots of RAM and at least 50 gigs of free hard drive space?

If that's the case, I'm out of ideas, J. Sorry.
                                            • 19. Re: PE3 Error - A Serious Error has occurreed...
                                              Level 1
                                              GOT IT! It was the "Styles" directory as pointed out in http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb406745&sliceId=2.

Between you and the other moderator, WE were able to flesh out the problem. I began reflecting on this thread and I knew it had to be a Style corruption. I couldn't wait to get home and try the fix.

Troubleshooting Lessons Learned:
                                              - I should have tried launching PE from another account on this computer. It would have been an instant indicator.
                                              - I should have payed closer attention to detail from you guys and the KB.

In any case, I'm back up and running and PE continues to impress.

Thanks all.

John
                                              • 20. Re: PE3 Error - A Serious Error has occurreed...
                                                The only thing that matters is that you found a solution, John!

Happy moviemaking!