13 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2008 4:03 AM by (Alan_Chilton)

Unsupported Audio Rate Error

I stopped using PR4 for a couple of months due to being away etc, and came back to use it only to find that none of my existing projects work and any new vid file I try to add I get an 'Add Media Error' stating "Unsupported audio rate in file"

I didn't change anything, but it stopped working. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling and same error. I use XP Pro SP3.

This is a new one on me. Any ideas?
        • 1. Re: Unsupported Audio Rate Error
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          What are these video files and what kind of camcorder did they come from?
          • 2. Re: Unsupported Audio Rate Error
            Level 1
            These are AVI files and they came form a Canon G9 camera shooting in video mode. They worked fine the last time I used the program. I should mention that since the last time I used PE4 I have upgraded XP to SP3 and I have also upgraded the video driver (ATI Radeon HD 2400 video card)
            • 3. Re: Unsupported Audio Rate Error
              Barb__O Level 4
              A Canon G9 means MJPEG (motion JPEG) with choices (from canonusa site)

> Movie: 1024 x 768 (15 fps), 640 x 480 (30 fps/30 fps LP), 640 x 480 (2 hours at 0.5 fps/1 fps), 320 x 240 (30 fps) available up to 4GB or 60 minutes, 160 x 120 (3 minutes at 15 fps)

> Audio Out Monaural

I did not find any info about the audio rate on the Canon pages that I referenced. So I suggest that you consider

1 -- comparing the audio rate of a file that previously worked to the audio rate of this file that fails

2 -- converting this .avi MJPEG format file to DV - AVI using Windows Movie Maker -- see
              http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3c054b56/4

Hopefully this would allow you to continue working on your current project while doing more analysis

3 -- For the purpose of troubleshooting, open an new Premiere Elements project and add one of your G9 .avi MJPEG files that previously worked to this new project. Does it still work OK?
              • 4. Re: Unsupported Audio Rate Error
                Level 1
                Here are the properties of a file that previously worked and now does not:

Video: 1024x768, 15 fps
                Audio: 705kbps, single channel, 44.1kHz sample rate, 16 bits

I must add that these AVI files from the camera work on every other program I own that supports AVI format (Windows Media Player, Windows Movie Maker, etc)

I have also rolled back the video driver upgrade I did and have turned off the audio driver that is integrated with the ATI video card (in case that was conflicting with the Sound Max driver)

I even added a new user account to my PC in case the existing accounts were messed up... all with the same results.

This is very frustrating, since it WAS WORKING!!!
                • 5. Re: Unsupported Audio Rate Error
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  Alan,

I'd be interested in seeing what G-Spot shows for the CODEC on your AVI. The AVI extension indicates a "wrapper" only. It could contain material of all sorts with dozens, if not hundreds, of different CODECs. G-Spot is a tiny, freeware program (www.headbands.com/gspot), that will give a wealth of info on what is inside many AV format files. It works 100% with AVIs and about 95% with MPEGs. When one gets to WMV and MOV, it does fail to gather data with greater frequencey. G-Spot will also tell you the Audio CODEC used and all data on the sampling rate and bit-depth. (See below)

My *guess* is that you need a particular CODEC (maybe one of the DivX, or Xvid), that you once had on your system.

When something once worked, but no longer does, it usually indicates a change in the system. Many folk will upgrade their OS from say XP to Vista, and all of a sudden things do not play, that once did. It usually requires a download and install of some missing CODEC.

I don't know PE that well, but Pro, Soundbooth and Audition have no problem Importing 44.1KHz 16-bit and up-sampling to 48KHz 16-bit material - mono, or stereo. That *shold* not be a problem.

Try G-Spot and let us know what it says about your file(s), especially the CODECs used.

Hunt

PS if you upgraded from XP-SP2 to SP3 in the down-time, something could have become fritzed there. XP updates seem pretty good at not breaking existing settings, but one never knows. SP2 to SP3 didn't change anything for me on three systems, but that doesn't mean that it would have gone perfectly, if I had four systems.

PPS I don't know the answer to this, but Barb, or Steve, probably do. Can Alan start a new Project in PE, using the 1024 x 768 x 15fps with a custom setting? He could then Export to whatever his desired format was, after editing. If he's using a DV preset, PE has to do several things: re-code the AVI to DV-AVI, change the dimensions, the FPS and the Audio sampling to 48KHz. That is a lot of work. In Pro, one CAN set the Project to the Assets - I just don't know in PE. (Thanks)
                  • 6. Re: Unsupported Audio Rate Error
                    Barb__O Level 4
                    >Can Alan start a new Project in PE, using the 1024 x 768 x 15fps with a custom setting? He could then Export to whatever his desired format was, after editing. If he's using a DV preset, PE has to do several things: re-code the AVI to DV-AVI, change the dimensions, the FPS and the Audio sampling to 48KHz. That is a lot of work. In Pro, one CAN set the Project to the Assets - I just don't know in PE.

I don't know the answer to the project settings question so I think that we will need to wait until Steve or someone else replies.

Also, now that we know more detail, my conclusion is that my experience is not sufficiently the same to be a good comparison.
                    (I have never used the 1024x768 Canon MJPEG video: my video has been 640x480 30 fps MJPEG from a Canon A650 IS, which does share some components of the camera with the Canon G9. I am not sure of its audio rate and don't currently have a file to check. Another difference is that I am running Premiere Elements 3 on XP SP2 on my video editing PC.)

However, one thing is that I can't help but wonder if XP SP3 updated the MJPEG codec that ships with Windows? I think that we (collectively on the forums) have concluded that Premiere Elements is using the default Windows codec for MJPEG if the customer has not installed any specific MJPEG codec.
                    • 7. Re: Unsupported Audio Rate Error
                      Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
                      I don't believe that, in Premiere Elements, you can set up a project with those unusual dimensions and frame rate.
                      • 8. Re: Unsupported Audio Rate Error
                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                        For other MJPEG issues, several users have had great results with both the Morgan and the Main Concept. Do not know what either costs, but both get high marks from others.

Hunt
                        • 9. Re: Unsupported Audio Rate Error
                          Barb__O Level 4
                          There is also the LEAD MJPEG codec (evaluation version is free) mentioned in this FAQ

http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3c054b56/4
                          • 10. Re: Unsupported Audio Rate Error
                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                            Thank you Barb. I had forgotten about that one. As you can see, I don't do any MJPEG work, but just read a lot about it.

Hunt
                            • 11. Re: Unsupported Audio Rate Error
                              I have just purchased APE and tonight tried to put together a 7 scene movie from my Flip MINO. Once I pulled the files, I received the sanme error mentioned above. This mino creates AVI files so I can't figure this. There are no adjustments on the Mino of the audio rate so - I have I just wasted $150?
                              • 12. Re: Unsupported Audio Rate Error
                                Paul_LS Level 4
                                Is this a Flip camera, if so see this FAQ, might help:
                                http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3c05aeab/1
                                • 13. Re: Unsupported Audio Rate Error
                                  Level 1
                                  Hi everyone. Thanks for all the feedback. I tried just about everything suggested and concluded that it had to be a CODEC problem. I downloaded the Morgan codec for MJPEG (it's free) and voila! PE4 is happy.

Conclusion: if someone gets an "UNSUPPORTED AUDIO RATE" error, try installing one of the codecs listed here for MJPEG. (Morgan, LEAD, Main Concept)

Thank you thank you thank you