13 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2008 6:25 PM by Ozpeter

PE7 closes when playing my AVIs

Hi --

PE7 is "excusing itself" and closing when playing the AVIs produced by my video cam. When converting these clips to MPG beforehand, there is no issue.

Is that a CODEC issue? anything I can do?

The properties of the clips:

Codec: XVID
      448 x 336
      ratio 1:1
      30bps 1098 frames
      Audio:
      mp2 mono 8000 bps / 64 kbps
      variable - no
      32000 Hz
        • 1. Re: PE7 closes when playing my AVIs
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          You won't be able to edit Xvid or Divx video in Premiere Elements, avner. And, unfortunately, I've not been able to find a decent free converter to convert those files to editable DV-AVIs either.

Maybe someone else can suggest a converter.

But you definitely aren't going to be able to use them in this program. Sorry.
          • 2. Re: PE7 closes when playing my AVIs
            Level 1
            mpeg Streamclip (http://www.squared5.com/) can take a divx file and convert <br />it to dv. its a free download but I had the quicktime piece it wanted, never <br />tried the free qt-simulator they suggested.<br /><br />You definitely need to convert everything to dv and work with that. When <br />saving to avi files, I just save to dv and use the divx converter to <br />shrink/convert them to .divx files, then rename the files to .avi (in case <br />you didn't know, .divx and .avi are the same, just change the extension)<br /><br />Mark<br /><br /><br /><grisetti_steve@adobeforums.com> wrote in message <br />news:59b70c5a.0@webcrossing.la2eafNXanI...<br />> You won't be able to edit Xvid or Divx video in Premiere Elements, avner. <br />> And, unfortunately, I've not been able to find a decent free converter to <br />> convert those files to editable DV-AVIs either.<br />><br />> Maybe someone else can suggest a converter.<br />><br />> But you definitely aren't going to be able to use them in this program. <br />> Sorry.
            • 3. Re: PE7 closes when playing my AVIs
              Robert J. Johnston Level 2
              What is the file extension on those Xvid files that come from your video cam? .avi? Do you have FFDShow installed?

I can definitely edit DivX 6 in PRE 7 if I change the file extentions from .divx to .avi and if I have FFDShow installed with "DivX 4/5/6" enabled with the Xvid option -- that's in the Directshow module, not the VFW module. If the files have .divx for file extensions they won't be recognized as valid by Premiere Elements. Just above the "DivX 4/5/6" item in FFDShow is Xvid. You could try enabling that.

There's a problem in that you can't have but just a few clips on the timeline at a time, and you need to render previews because playback of the raw video is not good. I haven't had any crashes playing back the Divx files in PRE 7.

The files that I can edit are ones created with the DivX 6 converter.

Exporting to DivX from PRE 7 is possible, but the resulting files are of poor quality and the DivX files are rejected by the DivX 6 player.
              • 4. Re: PE7 closes when playing my AVIs
                Level 1
                Thanks -- Steve, Mark and Robert.

Robert -- they are .avi files. I installed FFDShow, and now the clips seem to play smoothly except the video plays faster than expected, out-of-sync with the audio that plays normal.

Does that seem familiar?
                • 5. Re: PE7 closes when playing my AVIs
                  Out of sync when playing back I've experienced before. What really matters is what you get when you export it, or when you render a preview by adjusting the Work Area Bar (WAB) so it covers the segment you are interested in and then pressing Enter. The red line should turn to green under the WAB.
                  • 6. Re: PE7 closes when playing my AVIs
                    Even if you render a preview, I just remembered that the audio file is in a separate file while the video is in another file. So depending on your computer system, the two may not play back together perfectly while playing back rendered previews in Premiere Elements. That is why you will have to judge the final product.
                    • 7. Re: PE7 closes when playing my AVIs
                      Even if you render a preview, I just remembered that the audio file is in a separate file while the video is in another file. So depending on your computer system, the two may not play back together perfectly while playing back rendered previews in Premiere Elements. That is why you will have to judge the final product.
                      • 8. Re: PE7 closes when playing my AVIs
                        Level 1
                        Robert -- thanks; I also want to explore converting to another format, since it is possible to convert in batches that seems pretty easy. I just converted using Free Video Converter to avi (mp4). Will that be good? any other target format you might recommend?
                        • 9. Re: PE7 closes when playing my AVIs
                          Go with DV-AVIs if it's at all possible, Avner

Non-AVCHD MP4s are another problematic codec for Premiere Elements.
                          • 10. Re: PE7 closes when playing my AVIs
                            What is the final output going to be? DVD? I really don't like going from 448x336 square pixel to 720x480 0.9 pixel. That's gotta hurt.
                            • 11. Re: PE7 closes when playing my AVIs
                              Level 1
                              Robert / Steve -- I finally found how to convert to DV-avi. The file size seems to get huge, considering there is no visual benefit.

This particular project is PC bound. Any other suggestion as far as target format?
                              • 12. Re: PE7 closes when playing my AVIs
                                Nope. DV-AVIs are large by nature (about 13 gigs per hour). That's why video editors always own very large hard drives!

But they're an editable format -- as opposed to Divx and Xvid, which are primarily delivery formats.
                                • 13. Re: PE7 closes when playing my AVIs
                                  Ozpeter Level 1
                                  > That's why video editors always own very large hard drives!

Fortunately they've got cheap enough for even less well paid people than video editors (!) to buy big drives these days. I got myself a pair of 1 terabyte drives recently and I'm in the process of copying off all my DV tapes onto them (mirrored) while I still have the functioning means to play them.