6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2008 7:24 AM by benniegibson

PE2 - corrupt file after DVD burn

benniegibson Level 1
      I know there has been a lot of discussion around getting the "A Serious Error Has Occurred..." error when opening a project but I've not seen a solution to this particular problem. Every time a burn a DVD for my current project, the project file is corrupted. I'm assuming I can turn off autosave and prevent the corrupted project from being saved. Instead, I've taken to saving the file as a backup just prior to burning then saving a project names PROJECTXBURN.prel and using it as a sacrificial file.

Has anyone else seen this rather annoying behavior - have any suggested solutions?

Thanks,
      Bennie Gibson
        • 1. Re: PE2 - corrupt file after DVD burn
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          Your project file is corrupting after you burn a DVD? That is alarming -- and like nothing I've ever seen in the 3 years since version 2 came out.

Is it at all possible something else is going on? Like maybe your project file is on a second drive that's formatted FAT32 rather than NTFS or that you're working on version 2 is Vista or that you've opened an older version project with newer version software?
          • 2. Re: PE2 - corrupt file after DVD burn
            benniegibson Level 1
            Great points and.. yes... alarming. Let's see:
            yes - project is on 2nd drive and it's NTFS
            Windows XP NOT Vista
            Only version of PE I have is PE2

I'm fairly certain this corruption happens DURING the burn. Sequence of events:
            After a burn, I started receiving the error
            Went back to much older backup (one NOT used for the eventual burn) and rebuilt the project
            Saved the project as PROJECTXBEFOREBURN
            Saved the project as PROJECTXBURN
            Burn completed - saved the file PROJECTXBURN, tried to open, received error
            Opened PROJECTXBEFOREBURN no problems

I've built and burned many projects and never seen this kind of behavior before. I have a work around but it really raised red flags for me.
            • 3. Re: PE2 - corrupt file after DVD burn
              What happens if you go through these steps? At what point do things go fubar?
              http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b5f52c/0
              • 4. Re: PE2 - corrupt file after DVD burn
                benniegibson Level 1
                Thanks for the pointer to those steps:
                1 - opened projectxbeforeburn, saved as projectxburn (just in case), exported the entire project as an AVI - saved projectxburn and reopened no problems
                2 - believe it or not, I don't have any 'burner' software other than PE2 and Roxio backup. don't have any way to test burning direct from a TS folder to DVD
                3 - first thing I tried - cleared disc (even though this is a 'small' 15 minute project and defragged - confirmed scratch disks pointing to cleared/defragged disk (57GB free)

I'll see if I can find some freeware burner s/w or other way to test option 2. I'm also going to dig around for some old projects and try burning them to compare results as this has never happened to me before.

Thanks again for your input - all thoughts appreciated

Bennie
                • 5. Re: PE2 - corrupt file after DVD burn
                  Here's a great, free DVD burning program, Bennie.
                  http://www.imgburn.com/

But, before you even get to that point -- the key question: When you burned to a folder rather than directly to a DVD disc, did your file corrupt?!
                  • 6. Re: PE2 - corrupt file after DVD burn
                    benniegibson Level 1
                    Steve,

Same results - after burn to folders on disk, project is corrupted. As a note, I used imgburn and burned the Video_TS folder to DVD and it works fine.

I'm going go back and find an old project and see what's up - I've built larger projects with longer DVD play time without having seen this before.

Thanks,
                    Bennie