27 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2008 12:53 AM by Paul_LS

Does anyone else think the upgrade to ver 7 is a bit overpriced?

Level 1
      I purchased the full version bundle of PE4 and PSE 6 and have been looking forward to the new versions - but I only see a $30 price difference between teh upgrade and the new, full version.

Isn't that a little uut-of-whack, even for Adobe? I just don't know if it's worth it.

Small rant, over now.
        • 1. Re: Does anyone else think the upgrade to ver 7 is a bit overpriced?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          It's only worth it if you want the new features, Lon.

Just like everything in life... ;)
          • 2. Re: Does anyone else think the upgrade to ver 7 is a bit overpriced?
            Ed.Macke Level 3
            Yep. Overpriced.

I upgraded from PRE4 to PRE7 and I gotta say it could have been more of a 4.1 version (Disclaimer: I don't do HD which seems to be a big deal for v7 aficionados). Yes, I still love PRE. But IMO there were a few OK features added; nothing justifying a new version number.

A trend I didn't like was Adobe venturing into things outside of Premiere's competency... like the whole online backup feature... sounds like something dreamed up by the marketing department. Yeah, go ahead and try to back up my 25 gigabyte AVI online... I can wait until next month for the upload to finish.

And I have yet to find any of the "inspiration" features that didn't require $$$ to view... something dreamed up by the sales department?

Hey, Adobe, how about making it more stable and making the core features more useful instead of dreaming up goofy add-ons. So, I can share my photos (because, you know, there just aren't enough photo sharing sites out there) but meanwhile I still can't tag my clips or have a background on my title font. Sheesh.

OK, rant over.
            • 3. Re: Does anyone else think the upgrade to ver 7 is a bit overpriced?
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              Ed,

I do not have PE7, and possibly will not upgrade PE, as I'm still waiting to get field reports on CS4.

I am with you on the "photosharing" and online backup. Even my spyware program is offering on-line backup and I can't stop the pop-up reminder to set up an account and do a full backup. Everybody is in that game now. That's why I have a couple-dozen 2TB externals, and can write to data DL DVDs.

Some of Adobe's new Help files (going to Adobe on-line) have pop-up ads. So far, they are for Adobe products, but soon it'll be like Google.

Everyone is shooting for the Google model. My accounting program pops up ads for their bank cards, their investment services and offers to re-finance my home. Enough! That is why I buy pop-up blockers for the Internet. I do not want them coming from programs, that I have paid good $ for.

At least Adobe gave up on Adobe Stock Photos. Now, if I could just get rid of it in all of my CS2 programs.

Hunt
              • 4. Re: Does anyone else think the upgrade to ver 7 is a bit overpriced?
                Level 1
                I understand the feature/value concept, I'm usually the one in forums justtifying the price of upgrades to those who think they should pay once and get lifetime upgrades.

But when the upgrade price is 80 % of the full version, then something's not fair.

Especially when some of the "features" include stabilty and performance improvements, and they don't even try to hide the fact that the title-crashing issue was a bug that is only fixed in PRE 7!

"Sorry we released a buggy product, and that you bought it but we have a solution - buy it again at almost the full price! Who does that sound like? Three guesses, and if the words "Micro" or "soft" are anywhere in your answer, then you're correct.

Yes, some of the new features would be useful to me at a reasonable upgrade price. But those features supporting more file formats and AVCHD - were present in competitor's products when 4 was released which makes the upgrade price even tougher to take.

Ok, NOW my rant is over. Maybe. Tomorrow, I'm calling Adobe to see if they'll give me a deal on the upgrade. I know, but it's worth a try!
                • 5. Re: Does anyone else think the upgrade to ver 7 is a bit overpriced?
                  Paul_LS Level 4
                  .... "I am with you on the "photosharing" and online backup."

We (those living outside of the US) dont need to worry as this feature is only available for those folks in the US. :)
                  • 6. Re: Does anyone else think the upgrade to ver 7 is a bit overpriced?
                    PeterFDuke Level 1
                    >the title-crashing issue was a bug that is only fixed in PRE 7

Not that I noticed! PE7 froze the first time I went to edit a subtitle in a non-trivial SD project. (PE4 and before would have crashed, so maybe that's an advance. However PE7 still crashed when I rapidly scrolled the media bin contents, as in earlier versions.)
                    • 7. Re: Does anyone else think the upgrade to ver 7 is a bit overpriced?
                      Ed.Macke Level 3
                      ..."We (those living outside of the US) dont need to worry as this feature [photosharing and online backup] is only available for those folks in the US."...

So, just out of curiosity, do you get the annoying huge graphic on the opening screen touting the backup with a button to "TRY IT NOW!!"?
                      • 8. Re: Does anyone else think the upgrade to ver 7 is a bit overpriced?
                        Paul_LS Level 4
                        No...

Not sure if that is good or bad, as we can not download any additional themes/effects that will be made available.
                        • 9. Re: Does anyone else think the upgrade to ver 7 is a bit overpriced?
                          Level 1
                          Hi Ed,

"So, I can share my photos (because, you know, there just aren't enough photo sharing sites out there) but meanwhile I still can't tag my clips or have a background on my title font. Sheesh."

Do u mean you are unable to add tags in organizer and also add images / videos as background to titles??? If yes, more inputs will help. Maybe the project settings, nature of clips etc.

-Jarek
                          • 10. Re: Does anyone else think the upgrade to ver 7 is a bit overpriced?
                            Level 1
                            Speaking of sharing video, does PRE7 still have Youtube integration, and if so, does it render to the now-MP4 format that Youtube uses?
                            • 11. Re: Does anyone else think the upgrade to ver 7 is a bit overpriced?
                              Ed.Macke Level 3
                              i "Do u mean you are unable to add tags in organizer"

I can add tags in the organizer, yes. But, the problem is that I'm doing scene analysis by content (old 8mm tapes), so the only thing that ends up in the organizer is the entire AVI. So I could tag my original 2 hour AVI. Yeah.

Meanwhile, the detected "clips" only appear in the project view, and project view will not let you add tags to clips. Thanks, Adobe! :(

i "and also add images / videos as background to titles???"

No, I just want to be able to format my text with a background color I choose (for example, so that each letter I type is a white letter on a black background). I can accomplish the same thing by adding text, and then adding a black rectangle sized appropriately behind the text, but the point is that they can do gradiated fonts with drop ghosts at any angle, but can't do something simple like a text background.

I know this is probably just my own pet peeve, but it's another example of relative basics being ignored for dubious fancy features.

Just my 2 cents... :)
                              • 12. Re: Does anyone else think the upgrade to ver 7 is a bit overpriced?
                                the_wine_snob Level 9
                                Ed,

For what you are doing, regarding the Captures of 8mm tapes, and wanting to have these broken by scene into discreet AV Clips, you might want to look at Scenalyzer Live. It is a stand-alone, and I believe that it will allow you to do just what you want. There is/was a trial, so you should be able to test it out. IIRC, it goes for ~US$40 and is money well-spent.

Hunt
                                • 13. Re: Does anyone else think the upgrade to ver 7 is a bit overpriced?
                                  Level 1
                                  Hi Ed,

Regarding your first problem, when you perform scene analysis by content, all the detected scenes show up in the organizer, but in a collapsed state. You should see an "arrow" symbol on the right of the thumbnail, which will allow u to see and tag all individual scenes. Alternatively u can right-click on the thumbnail and select "expand" (not sure of the exact option but something similar to expand).

Yes, the 2nd problem does not solvable directly. But there are ways and means of achieving this as well. An example is to create an image with text present and importing it into PRE 7.0

-Jarek
                                  • 14. Re: Does anyone else think the upgrade to ver 7 is a bit overpriced?
                                    Ed.Macke Level 3
                                    Bill, Jarek,

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I had tried Scenalyzer a year or so ago, but I'll take another look, as dividing by scene into individual AVIs is exactly what I would like to do.

Also, so far all my scene-analyzed content has been projects upgraded from PRE4. So maybe if PRE7 actually does the analysis it will put all the clips it in the organizer? We'll see... I'll be doing that soon.

So, yes, there are ways around things - and that's good to know. But that was kind of my point in this thread: that I wish Adobe would put a little more energy into making what they already have work better... saving scene-analyzed AVI content as clips but not AVI; allowing keyword tagging in one place but not another; allowing gradient-colored fonts but no background... these are things you could understand in a V1 product, but version 7?

All in all, Premiere is a great product. It's very rare that I haven't been able to do *exactly* what I wanted to do. And for the price they charge, that's pretty impressive. But the question was whether V7 was worth the upgrade price, and for me, it wasn't. Way too much focus on "bloatware" and way too little focus on core competencies. IMO!
                                    • 15. Re: Does anyone else think the upgrade to ver 7 is a bit overpriced?
                                      Level 1
                                      This is a very interesting discussion as I am doing precisely this as well. <br />I am taking my old home movies, pulling in the 2-hour video and then <br />splitting it in PE7 (via control-k). I then make individual avi's from it by <br />deleting all the segments except one, "sharing" the avi, reloading (or <br />undoing) to get my clips back and deleting all except the next one. its a <br />tedious business but it works.<br /><br />Mark<br /><br /><br /><Ed_Macke@adobeforums.com> wrote in message <br />news:59b70cde.13@webcrossing.la2eafNXanI...<br />> Bill, Jarek,<br />><br />> Thanks for the suggestions. I think I had tried Scenalyzer a year or so <br />> ago, but I'll take another look, as dividing by scene into individual AVIs <br />> is exactly what I would like to do.<br />><br />> Also, so far all my scene-analyzed content has been projects upgraded from <br />> PRE4. So maybe if PRE7 actually does the analysis it will put all the <br />> clips it in the organizer? We'll see... I'll be doing that soon.<br />><br />> So, yes, there are ways around things - and that's good to know. But that <br />> was kind of my point in this thread: that I wish Adobe would put a little <br />> more energy into making what they already have work better... saving <br />> scene-analyzed AVI content as clips but not AVI; allowing keyword tagging <br />> in one place but not another; allowing gradient-colored fonts but no <br />> background... these are things you could understand in a V1 product, but <br />> version 7?<br />><br />> All in all, Premiere is a great product. It's very rare that I haven't <br />> been able to do *exactly* what I wanted to do. And for the price they <br />> charge, that's pretty impressive. But the question was whether V7 was <br />> worth the upgrade price, and for me, it wasn't. Way too much focus on <br />> "bloatware" and way too little focus on core competencies. IMO!
                                      • 16. Re: Does anyone else think the upgrade to ver 7 is a bit overpriced?
                                        Level 1
                                        Ya the upgrade price is high... totally agree with u Ed... but I am not sure how we can communicate this to Adobe...
                                        • 18. Re: Does anyone else think the upgrade to ver 7 is a bit overpriced?
                                          Ed.Macke Level 3
                                          i How about by not buying it?

Well, that's one way! :) But a little too late.

I would hope that Adobe would be a little more customer-centric than, say, Microsoft, and wouldn't need a boycott to wake them up.

I'm not sure, other that with our wallets, how to let Adobe know. Maybe they monitor their boards? We can hope.
                                          • 19. Re: Does anyone else think the upgrade to ver 7 is a bit overpriced?
                                            Level 1
                                            Hi,
                                            I was very happy to buy the PE7 version, thinking that my money were well spent for an added value in stability, fast reliability and delivery of my projects, as promised in the ADOBE site advertising, but...

Today I'm quite frustrated to experience the same problems I had in PE4: crash during start Pre/, crash during scrolling clips, hang during title editing, error in rendering (both to DVD or to disk) with alternatively error messages "PluginCodec error" (already reported in this forium, but still without a solution), or "wrong MPEG file".

In addiction, I still have a problem to install the Pre7_Cont_WWSINLST_7z file, because during the extraction I have an error message "A problem occurred during file extraction. Check the disk space and write the privileges to the destination file". I reported it 10 days ago to the support center, but, until today, nobody solved the issue, and I am working without Contents.

ADOBE, what do you are playing????? The promises were not true!!! I'm going to ask to get back the product, and to invest my money in other more stable market products.

Bye
                                            • 20. Re: Does anyone else think the upgrade to ver 7 is a bit overpriced?
                                              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
                                              No need to post more than once, Giorgio. Especially if you have a complaint for Adobe.

As I said, Adobe does not respond to postings in this forum. It's a user-to-user forum.

You can contact Adobe by clicking on the Contact button at the top right of this page.
                                              • 22. Re: Does anyone else think the upgrade to ver 7 is a bit overpriced?
                                                Level 1
                                                I bought v7 but have returned to v4. I doubt whether I will even look at version 4 + ? in future.
                                                • 23. Re: Does anyone else think the upgrade to ver 7 is a bit overpriced?
                                                  VideoJohnny Level 1
                                                  I initially though PRE7 was overpriced. After some research, and using the trial download, I was convinced that it was not overpriced. The nre and/or improved features are worth the upgrade price. I am now a very happy camper.
                                                  • 24. Re: Does anyone else think the upgrade to ver 7 is a bit overpriced?
                                                    Level 1
                                                    I bought it thinking there would be some significant improvements. There have not been any for me but of course this is just my opinion based on what I use it for. In fact there are one or two negatives.
                                                    • 25. Re: Does anyone else think the upgrade to ver 7 is a bit overpriced?
                                                      Level 1
                                                      I installed PE7 this morning and so far I haven't even managed to edit anything. It has been crashing non-stop. So I'm pretty disgusted having now forked out for versions 2, 3, 4 and 7 and I think version 7 has finished me off as an editor. I got the impression (from this forum) that 7 was a damage control version by Adobe to pacify its furious customers. But no! Just more of the same.

So - yes, I totally agree that version 7 is overpriced. They should have fixed the problems and released it as a free version 4 update.
                                                      • 26. Re: Does anyone else think the upgrade to ver 7 is a bit overpriced?
                                                        Robert J. Johnston Level 2
                                                        Is this your very first post on this forum?