12 Replies Latest reply on Dec 29, 2008 6:53 AM by VideoJohnny

PE7 Audio out of sync

Can anyone help me? I just got PE7 (up from PE3). When we downloaded the HDV tape it plays back fine. Audio is in sync and everything. When I try to bring this tape into a new project the audio is WAY out of sync. I am working on a compilation video and need to use footage from several different tapes. Does it/will it always do this? Any idea how to stop it?
        • 1. Re: PE7 Audio out of sync
          Robert J. Johnston Level 2
          You will have to render a preview. You adjust the Work Area Bar (WAB) over the segment of video you want to play back smoothly -- places where you have made edits -- and then press Enter. The red line will turn green just underneath the WAB. You really don't want to render a preview for the entire movie, as that will really eat up disk space and your time. Even then it may not be perfect sync as the video and audio come from two separate files while editing. I wouldn't be trying to adjust things to make them in sync on the timeline until after you have exported your movie to see how in sync it is.
          • 2. Re: PE7 Audio out of sync
            paulgoelz Level 1
            > I wouldn't be trying to adjust things to make them in sync on the timeline until after you have exported your movie to see how in sync it is.

Are you saying that the audio can be OUT of synch when editing but IN synch when rendered? So you have no idea until you play back the final project? ??

Paul
            • 3. Re: PE7 Audio out of sync
              Yes, Paul, that is what I am saying.

Even audio that sounds corrupted when playing back in PRE turns out okay on DVD:

http://muvipix.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=4144&start=0

I once had a movie on the timeline that sounded out of sync, and then I started playing around with the ASIO settings to make it sound in sync. But after burning to DVD it was even worse.
              • 4. Re: PE7 Audio out of sync
                Level 1
                Oh I mean like really out of sync. Many seconds out of sync. So bad I can't/won't even edit it. I feel like I'll just be wasting my time. I'm so tempted to chuck this whole thing and go back to PE 3 right now. BUT I always feel like that when I upgrade software. Though this does seem to be unnecessarily difficult.

Let me see if I can clarify my problem though.

I DL a HDV tape and it plays fine, looks good, sounds good. I need to use this video (well about 10 minutes of it) in another project. So I open the new project and it gives me the organizer. If I drag/drop the video onto the timeline the audio is unusably out of sync. I don't even know how many seconds out as I have not counted but lets just say that what is being talked about is not what is on the screen. That make sense or do I just sound like a lunatic?

BTW there have been no edits made to this tape yet. Oh, and let me make it even more wierd. It isn't like this through the entire video. The first half of the video is fine. But of course what I need is at the end.
                • 5. Re: PE7 Audio out of sync
                  I've effectively got he same problem when I load a DVD into a new PE7 project. The DVD plays just fine on my DVD player yet once loaded into PE7 the first VOB file's sound is in sync but more often then not the second VOB onwards sound is out of sync. This is before any editing. Its almost as if the video to sound track sync gets broken somehow where the DVD splits data files into the next VOB ?? Im looking for an easy way to get them back in sync.
                  • 6. Re: PE7 Audio out of sync
                    Paul_LS Level 4
                    Try this method for combining your vob files from the DVD:
                    http://muvipix.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2469
                    • 7. Re: PE7 Audio out of sync
                      Level 1
                      Thanks for that great tip Paul, I does fix up the sync between VOB boundaries however I've since found the problem is much worse as the sync also gets broken within a VOB as well. It tends to happen when a lot of short clips (eg. 5 mins each ) are recorded onto the DVD. Loading into PE7 the sync is then broken between clips yet the DVD plays just fine on a standalone DVD player. I can get around the problem by replaying the entire "short clip" DVD into my recordable DVD player to create another DVD as one contiguous recording. The contiguous DVD then loads into PE7 fine albeit that I still need to use your tip to fix the sync between DVD boundaries.
                      • 8. Re: PE7 Audio out of sync
                        I don't have any sync problems with a DVD that has seven VOBs. I didn't even concatenate them in DOS. What gives with people who have out of sync problems. Are these commercial DVDs? My DVD was created in MAGIX MEP 14+.
                        • 9. Re: PE7 Audio out of sync
                          Paul_LS Level 4
                          I get this from time to time... best way to resolve it is to run the vob/mpeg through VideoRedo ( http://videoredo.com try the trial) doing a Save As or using the Quickstream Fix under Tools.
                          • 10. Re: PE7 Audio out of sync
                            I am having a similar problem that is described by Heather (Heather Booth - 07:04pm Nov 17, 2008 Pacific), but this occurs before doing any editing or moving video clips into other projects: The audio and the video is in sync at the start of the clip, but it goes out of sync the futher I go into it. It must be a setting problem that I am experiencing. Can anyone assist? I am using Premiere Elements 4.0.

Thanks
                            Morne
                            • 11. Re: PE7 Audio out of sync
                              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
                              Why not follow the same advice Paul gave to Heather?
                              • 12. Re: PE7 Audio out of sync
                                VideoJohnny Level 1
                                >I get this from time to time... best way to resolve it is to run the vob/mpeg through VideoRedo ( http://videoredo.com try the trial) doing a Save As or using the Quickstream Fix under Tools.

I totally agree. Even of I use Magix MEP 14+, the audio can get out of sync. This only happens when I forget to run it through VideoRedo.

VideoRedo is an excellent tool that should be on everyon's computer if they deal with MPEGs. You can even join the VOBs with this tool.