5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2008 8:18 AM by Paul_LS

field order / deinterlace

Level 1
      Is there a good guideline for changing field orders of deinterlacing?
      I find myself trying out several settings when exporting in PRE7, but i guess there must be a rule of thumb or something like that right?
        • 1. Re: field order / deinterlace
          Paul_LS Level 4
          It really depends on what are you trying to do? What are your source files, what will be your final export format and how will you be viewing the exported files?
          • 2. Re: field order / deinterlace
            Level 1
            Basically two sources; AVCHD files from my Canon HF100 and DVD source files (older vacation DVD which i an redoing).

Export to DVD's and to H264 (different MPEG, Quicktime)...

The H264 encoded files will be viewed on PC's as well as uploaded to Youtube and Vimeo...
            • 3. Re: field order / deinterlace
              Paul_LS Level 4
              If you are using MPEG or AVCHD sources and intend to burn a standard DVD for viewing on a DVD you need to use the appropriate Project Preset, "Hard Disc, Flash Memory Camcorder" or "AVCHD", these options assume an upper field first field order and so automatically reverse the field dominance for the entire video. If not you need to reverse the field for each clip on the timeline.

If you are exporting for viewing in Youtube or Vimeo you should deinterlace the video in the export settings of the chosen export format.
              • 4. Re: field order / deinterlace
                Level 1
                ok, thanks.
                Should the deinterlace option always be available when exporting? Of is that bound to certain types?
                • 5. Re: field order / deinterlace
                  Paul_LS Level 4
                  Depends on the export format, some, export to "Mobile Phones, Players" generally have the export set to progressive rather than interlaced. If you go into the Advanced Settings for the export format you will be able to see what the default is and change it if necessary.