7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2008 5:36 PM by (Rob_Cole)

Audio Issue on Exported DVD

I burned a project today to DVD and noticed that the audio drops in and out on occasion. The project was 21 minutes long with SD footage of interviews with occasional background music and a few stills. When it is played on the timeline the audio does this randomly but never in the same place at the same time. My hard drive is a 500GB with about 92GB of it free. I have burned this same project before and it was fine.

Can anyone tell me what causes this and how to avoid it in the future?

Thanks for your input.
      Cole
        • 1. Re: Audio Issue on Exported DVD
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          Where did the original audio come from? What type of camcorder and how did you capture it into your computer?
          • 2. Re: Audio Issue on Exported DVD
            Level 1
            Thanks for the reply Steve.

I recorded the audio using a Rode NTG1 microphone connected via XLR cable into my DVX100B. The footage was recorded in 24P mode, but shouldn't affect the audio track. The footage was then captured via firewire into PE3. My system is a Dell Precision Workstation, Intel Core2 CPU 6400 @ 2.13GHz, 4 GB RAM, 3 Hard drives 1-80GB for OS, 1- 320GB & 1- 500GB for video and photo files. There are numerous transitions for the audio to connect them (constant power) and varying levels of gain to level the different voices to one constant level. The music is from a Digital Juice collection.

The audio is fine when played back from the source, and is fine most of the time during playback on the timeline. Occasionally the audio goes quiet for a few seconds but it is never in the same place twice but is frequent when crossing over from one clip to the next. It always seemed to me that the hard drive or the cpu hiccupped when this happened.

This project has been burned at many stages during its creation and the audio was fine up until this last (and final) version. Could it be related to a lack of hard drive space, a lack of defragging recently or could it be software related? I have 6 decent sized projects sitting on the 500 GB hard drive only leaving about 92 GB free. Is that not enough extra space for PE to function properly?

Thanks again,
            Cole
            • 3. Re: Audio Issue on Exported DVD
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
              It could be the 24P footage. It could be an outdated audio driver (particularly your RealTek audio driver). But I can't say for sure.

You should still be fine with 92 gig left on your drive, assuming you keep your drive free of temp files and defragmented.
              • 4. Re: Audio Issue on Exported DVD
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                Rob,

What is the speed of your 500GB HDD? Considering its size, it should be 7200 RPM, but WAV Audio is a pretty intensive stream. Sometimes slower HDDs can't keep up. Since your drop-outs are random, that *might* indicate an I/O issue.

If your OS HDD is the fastest of the bunch, you might run a test. Export just the Audio, as PCM/WAV and Move/Copy it over to your OS HDD. Play it from there, and listen carefully.

Just thinking here,

Hunt
                • 5. Re: Audio Issue on Exported DVD
                  Level 1
                  Steve and Bill,
                  Thanks for the input. I thought about the 24P being an issue, but the 3 previous test burns came off without a hitch. I did do a defrag over night last night and that seems to have helped somewhat at least with encoding times.

What made the biggest difference was exporting the audio to a wav file, deleting all of the original audio clips from the timeline, and dropping in the full length wav file. I then took it one step further and exported the entire project to a movie, deleted all of the original clips from the time line (audio and video) and placed the movie file back onto the timeline. I kept it in the same file to preserve the chapter stops. Not only did it solve the audio issue, but it made the encoding FLY! What took me about 4 hours to encode and burn last night, took me 25 minutes this morning and with flawless audio. Needless to say this will now be the routine instead of burning from the timeline with all of the individual clips.

Thank you very much for the suggestions.

Cole
                  • 6. Re: Audio Issue on Exported DVD
                    Robert J. Johnston Level 2
                    You can eliminate two steps where you export the audio to a wav file, delete the orginals and drop in the wav by instead using the Render and Replace command: Clip > Audio Options > Render and Replace. You won't get one long wav file but a separate wav for each clip. I'm not sure if having one long wav is better than having one wav for each clip.
                    • 7. Re: Audio Issue on Exported DVD
                      Level 1
                      Thanks Robert, I will give it a shot. The problem I was having this time around seemed to involve the audio level getting lower when a new clip was introduced. Exporting the entire timeline created one big wav file so it never had the chance to be effected by switching from one to another. I will try your suggestion and see if it solves the problem.

Cole