3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2008 2:15 PM by (Mr._Kubus)

Full HD *.mts to wmv HD limited VBR

Hello,

I have a Canon HF10 which gives 1920x1080 25fps noninterlaced.
      The camcorder stores in mts.
      I like to convert it to wmv. This works but the vbr is limited to 10000 which gives a higher compression than the mts and a effects on dark objects.

Is there a way to increase the limit?

Thanks, Michael
        • 1. Re: Full HD *.mts to wmv HD limited VBR
          Robert J. Johnston Level 2
          I think 10000 is the limit, but there is another option. If you select the Windows Media Video Advanced V9 video codec, then select VBR one-pass, you adjust the slider based on quality, with 100 being the highest. It was going to take 20 minutes to render one minute of video on my machine so I cancelled that and now leave it up to you to try.

EDIT: Well, I tried about 5 seconds worth. The one-pass VBR is 5 times as large as the two-pass VBR. I can't play back the one-pass vbr without it studdering, you need a bigger computer than I have. But from what I can tell, the one-pass looks better.
          • 2. Re: Full HD *.mts to wmv HD limited VBR
            Level 1
            Thanks, I will try it and give you feedback. I have a new Vaio notebook with P8400, hope this is enough...
            • 3. Re: Full HD *.mts to wmv HD limited VBR
              Level 1
              It works but not very usable.
              Without a 2 pass encoding the quality is to bad or the size to big.

I try another way by using my PC at work (XP 64 Bit, Quad 6600):

1. way: using 'Corel VideoStudio X2 trial' - don't support WMV HD
              2. way: using 'Microsoft Encoder 2 trial' - don't support AVCHD
              3. way: converting it to uncompressed avi and with Windows Media Encoder and it works fine.

I think that the support of Fulll HD is to bad in all current software.

Premiere would be the best at this moment without this restriction.