4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2008 3:55 AM by Steve Grisetti

Blank screen at start up of Permiere Elements 4

I purchased a Photoshop Elements 6 & Premiere Elements 4 package about 7 months ago and have not been able to get the Premiere product to work. When I start the program the screen goes blank. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the program several times and a couple of times have gotten the opening screen and have proceeded through a couple of steps in the tutorial contained in the brief manual provided but then the screen again goes blank. When the screen blanks out I have to pull the battery from the computer to shut it off and reboot the machine.

The Photoshop Elements 6 program works without problems. I am running a Toshiba computer with 2GB RAM. I have Windows XP.

Help please.
        • 1. Re: Blank screen at start up of Permiere Elements 4
          the_wine_snob Level 9
          Norman,

It sounds like Premiere is locking up your computer, and at a machine level, since you do not get a Windows Blue Screen of Death, or similar error message. I have never seen this sort of activity before. Often, laptops can run too hot and the CPU will shut down, but this is most often preceeded by beeps and followed by a reboot. In your case, this is not happening. It is also odd, that it would happen when just starting PE. That *should* preclude a heat issue.

First thing that I'd look into would be Event Viewer, and check in both the System tab and the Applications tab. There *should* be some yellow triangles and also some red icons. Check these out carefully and link to the MS Web site, wherever you are provided a link to do so.

Next, please provide the specifics of your laptop. Things such as processor, speed, HDD size and free space, plus your video system (all settings, monitor rez, etc.) could all be very important. Also, list all peripherals that you have connected and how they are connected.

Last, do you get any "beeps" from your MoBo? Sometimes, you have to listen carefully to hear these, over the fans of a laptop. If you do, count the beeps. This often indicates instability someplace - hot CPU, faulty video (screen going blank kinda' points me in this direction, but it's too early yet), low battery, etc.

I used to run Pinnacle Studio 9.4.3 on my Toshiba Satellite P-25 and never had any problems, except for HDD space, but I did a lot of my editing from FireWire external drives and kept the 80GB HDD pretty clean.

Good luck,

Hunt
          • 2. Re: Blank screen at start up of Permiere Elements 4
            Norman do you have other system where you can install the Application?
            • 3. Re: Blank screen at start up of Permiere Elements 4
              Hmm... Interesting, I have the exact same problem with the same version of Premier Elements. I also tried and older version thinking that it may be a compatibility issue but it doesn't seem to be the case, the screen still goes blank.
              My System is a Windows XP SP3 Media Center Edition, Intel T1350 @ 1.86GHz with 1 Gig or RAM.
              Please help.
              • 4. Re: Blank screen at start up of Permiere Elements 4
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
                Have you tried holding down the left side Ctrl+Alt+Shift as the program launches?

If that doesn't work, it may take some troubleshooting, with far too many questions than we could ask on this forum. I'd recommend a call to Adobe Tech Support.
                http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bbe7d56