11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2008 10:52 AM by John T Smith

PE7 - Handling Mixed Media (MOV + AVI + WMV)

John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP
      I have several Star Trek fan films I have (legally) downloaded that I would like to combine and create one DVD to watch on my TV instead of at my computer (there is a very active fan world for this genre... created with permission of the studio as long as they give away and don't sell)

Some are MOV (I haven't checked the actual Codec as yet) in both small (320x240) and full screen size... others are AVI using the Divx codec and a few are WMV

I've just installed PE7 so haven't read much... I know I will have to tell PE7 "something" about the smaller size clips, to have them just put in the middle of the screen, while the full screen clips "should" just fit in the NTSC screen without any changes

So, my question... is it possible to import clips one at a time and tell PE7 "this one needs to be put in the middle of the screen, but this one just drop in the timeline with no extra commands" so I can line the episodes up one after the other to create a DVD?

If that IS possible I may be back later to ask just HOW to do that... in case I don't find instructions in the really thin user guide... but that is a question for another time
        • 1. Re: PE7 - Handling Mixed Media (MOV + AVI + WMV)
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          You've got a number of possible problems, John, which lead me to believe this isn't at all the program you'll need to do what you want to do.

1 - Commercial video often has copy protection built into it that will not allow you to use it in a video editor

2 - You can not edit Divx video in Premiere Elements and you may even have problems with some forms of MOV and WMV files. There are convertors available on the web (and you can edit or convert the WMV in Windows MovieMaker) but I'd recommend you convert everything to DV-AVI before you bring it into Premiere Elements. Converting will also solve the problems you have with downloaded videos that are 1/4 the resolution of standard DVDs. But it will still likely look fuzzy when you play it on TV.

3 - I'd be very surprised if Paramount allows you to share Star Trek videos with other fans, since they're continuing to sell episodes of every series and all of the movies.

Sorry, John. I'm just not sure this program can help you.
          • 2. Re: PE7 - Handling Mixed Media (MOV + AVI + WMV)
            the_wine_snob Level 9
            John,

I am often faced with the same problem, regarding different formats and CODECs. I use a shareware program, Digital Media Converter (DMC from Deskshare), and will load these Assets into it, set the parameters to DV-AVI with 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV. I'll do a batch conversion to a new folder, and go get a cup of coffee. Usually, when I'm back, the conversion is done. One note: DMC will only work with CODECs that are installed on your system - it does not come with any. In the case of DivX (and others), one has to acquire and install these separately.

In several years, I've only had a very few files not work, and it was usually a truncated file, or similar header problems. G-Spot, which I know you know well, can give one a H/U with these, should they not convert.

DMC has a trial, that, IIRC, is only time-limited. I like it so much that I have a paid copy on each machine. The ease, the reliability and the batch processing make it worth the $, ~US$40, when I bought my last copy. I've got several freeware converters and often try them all again. There are usually little issues, and it's always back to DMC.

Hunt
            • 3. Re: PE7 - Handling Mixed Media (MOV + AVI + WMV)
              As I said in my first paragraph, these are NOT commercial video files

These are fan films, made by individual people (fan clubs) with a "free for non-commercial use" license granted by the studio(s)

Read - Star Trek fan films on WikiPedia
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_Fan_Films
              http://www.startreknewvoyages.com
              http://www.starshipexeter.com/
              http://www.hiddenfrontier.org/
              http://www.ussjustice.org/tales7thfleet.htm

Also Read - Star Wars fan films on WikiPedia
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_wars_fan_films
              http://www.panicstruckpro.com/

As far as using PE7 to create the DVD... I will look into file converters and then load DV AVI type 2 files and work from there

Thanks for the advice and converter ideas... John
              • 4. Re: PE7 - Handling Mixed Media (MOV + AVI + WMV)
                >Bill sez... Digital Media Converter (DMC from Deskshare)

Took a look, and when I'm not so tired (today was errand/shopping day with the wife) I'll do some more reading and may download the demo to take a spin around the block

I've never tried to do anything other than play around with my own family video from an old(er) analog Sony camcorder, via DV500 card, so stepping into other file formats is completely new to me

Thanks for the info... J
                • 5. Re: PE7 - Handling Mixed Media (MOV + AVI + WMV)
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  John,

Besides my recommended converter program, there are quite a few others that forum members like. Many are listed in the FAQs (you might want to read through these, even for previous and later versions of PE, than you have, since some of the info is spread a bit, and a lot is non-version specific. A lot of these are freeware.

Unfortunatly, I have never used any of these, so do not know their strong suits, or their liabilities. In DMC, I found a program that works for me, so that is what I use.

The "batch" feature is a big draw in my workflow. I just loaded in some MPEG-2, MPEG-1, AVI (DivX CODEC), a MOV (non-DVD size/rez) and an MP4. There were about 12 files total. Set output to DV-AVI with PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit Audio, and hit Convert. By the time that I had set my Project up with the proper Bins, etc., these were all converted and worked perfectly in a P-Pro Project.

Only caveat (and this goes for all conversion programs) is that when dealing with material that is not DVD-spec (size, etc.) the quality of the converted AV files will not be anywhere as good as if one Captured DV-AVI from a mini DV tape camera over FireWire. That is the nature of the beast. Also, files that were compressed with CODECs like DivX will have lost much of their data already. You cannot get this back. It is gone forever. Best one can do is to correct any footage to the best ability of the NLE program - color, gamma, etc.. But, if one is forced to use footage that is not from a mini DV tape, this method will get them as close as is possible and allow them to fluidly edit in Premiere.

Premiere will ingest many formats, but because it works with a DV-AVI workflow, it has to do a lot of processing of the files, under the hood. This can really slow things down and can also cause major problems along the way. That is why I do all of my conversions outside of Premiere. Then, you are just doing editing, and the machine's resources can be directed at that task and not conversion.

"Happy Editing" [Eddie Lotter, Adobe forums]

Hunt
                  • 6. Re: PE7 - Handling Mixed Media (MOV + AVI + WMV)
                    Level 1
                    To answer your question :

So, my question... is it possible to import clips one at a time and tell PE7 "this one needs to be put in the middle of the screen, but this one just drop in the timeline with no extra commands" so I can line the episodes up one after the other to create a DVD?

If you put a smaller dimension file in the timeline of Premiere Elements, it would automatically scale up and fit to the whole screen, proportionately. If it doesnt do, you can rightclick on the clip and choose "Scale to Frame size" ON.
                    • 7. Re: PE7 - Handling Mixed Media (MOV + AVI + WMV)
                      Well, now have DMC and mixed results... some of the smaller resolution files just won't convert at all... a few of the sites have "high" resolution downloads, but while these will convert to other formats (such as wmv) they are not made to the NTSC standard (both screen size and audio rate) and won't convert to DV AVI to be able to create a DVD

Oh well... I guess I'll just have to watch these on my computer
                      • 8. Re: PE7 - Handling Mixed Media (MOV + AVI + WMV)
                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                        John,

I am surprised. I get handed PAL material all of the time, and some of it is pretty small, regarding frame size. To date, they have all converted to NTSC and DV-AVI specs.

On the DV-AVI tab, there is an options area, where I can choose a radio-button to set the frame rate. My default is 30fps (29.97) and also Audio which is set to 48 KHz.

Are you working with the trial? It used to just be time-limited, but complete in the features. Maybe they have changed this.

Also, you should already have the MS DV-AVI CODEC, so that shouldn't be a problem.

I'm at a bit of a loss, to explain the problem you are facing, and am sorry that DMC is not handling everything for you.

If it's any help, you can e-mail me one of the problem files (click my profile) and I'll run it through my system and see if maybe it is a setting issue. Just put "Adobe Premiere" in the Subject Line Header, so that MailWasher doesn't throw it away. I have that set to manual, but it gets aggressive sometimes.

Just let me know if I can help,

Hunt
                        • 9. Re: PE7 - Handling Mixed Media (MOV + AVI + WMV)
                          Not demo, I went ahead and paid so have full version 2.79

I have not tried every possible variation of DV, but the ones I have tried won't work... while the same MOV file will convert to WMV

I'll keep playing with different settings... but this is not all THAT important, since I was just trying to put these fan films on a DVD... so I'll just watch them on my computer

Since it's a holiday I'm not concerned about an answer to my question to the DMC vendor... and it may be that the program just won't convert these files to DV AVI

No big deal... and it does seem to work with other formats, so not a bad purchase (always nice to have tools handy)
                          • 10. Re: PE7 - Handling Mixed Media (MOV + AVI + WMV)
                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                            John,

I just loaded a PAL WMV, 352x288, 25fps. This is a file that converted perfectly (with Video quality issues, as should be expected, when scaling up to 720x480. Even the conversion from 25fps to 29.97fps looks pretty smooth with only a slight sync issue in two places. An adjustment of 4 frames with the Audio took care of that.

Settings on General Settings Tab:
                            AVI

Properties:
                            Change Dimensions (radio button)
                            720x480

Frame Rate:
                            Change Frame Rate (radio button) 30fps

Compressions:
                            Auto select settings based on Best Quality:
                            Video Compressor:
                            DV Video Encoder

Audio Compressor:
                            Uncompressed 48KHz

Compatibility:
                            Everything checked

Version DMC - 2.78

Hope that one of these settings makes it better for you. Remember, if you are still having problems, dont hesitate to take me up on my offer.

Hunt
                            • 11. Re: PE7 - Handling Mixed Media (MOV + AVI + WMV)
                              I got the file (episode 7 file 707hires.mov) at
                              http://www.hiddenfrontier.org/episodes/index.php

This file is not NTSC by size or audio rate

I will convert to WMV so I know the file is Ok

When I try to convert to NTSC DV AVI (with the NTSC defaults) it will not convert, and throws up a bogus DMC error that the file is corrupt (I have been contacted by DMC and they are going to take a look)

I may go back and see if it will convert to a plain AVI with correct screen size and 48k audio rate

But, like I said, this is really not a big deal... I'll just watch the episodes on my computer and skip the idea of creating a DVD