7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2008 11:39 AM by the_wine_snob

Missing project presets?

Hi folks, I've just upgraded to Premiere Elements 7 and the program is working great. However, on the start-up screen which I click "new project" and choose "change settings", there are no presets listed in the "available presets" window. The dialog window doesn't allow me to add a new present or delete either (not that there are any to delete). What's going on? Has my version not installed properly?
        • 1. Re: Missing project presets?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          Try doing a repair/install (re-doing your installation without uninstalling the program).

If that doesn't work, try uninstalling and reinstalling. This will not affect any work you have in progress by the way.
          • 2. Re: Missing project presets?
            Level 1
            Thanks, I did a repair and this is working fine now. Thank you so much.

Terry
            • 3. Re: Missing project presets?
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
              :)

Happy moviemaking, Terry!
              • 4. Re: Missing project presets?
                (Dave_Hauss)
                I did a repair and it did not fix the presets issue.. what could be the problem?
                • 5. Re: Missing project presets?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  Dave,

In the case of a Repair Install, or even an plain old uninstall/re-install, the Prefs files are not overwritten. If they have become corrupted, they have not been replaced and are still corrupted.

You can re-set the Prefs by the methods suggested in the FAQ's at the top of the main page. One method is during the program launch, and the other is via a manual renaming of the Pref files, and letting PE re-write them. Do read the details in the FAQ's, as you might wish to do a backup first, as ALL changed settings will be lost.

Good luck,

Hunt
                  • 6. Re: Missing project presets?
                    Hi Bill.

I am having this same problem, I even tried downloading the trial version, but still I have got no different presets to choose when creating a new project or editing the settings of an old project.

But alas I can't seem to find the FAQ you mentioned in your post above, I did find a forum posting called "Premiere Elements 7 FAQs (7 topics )" but as far as I could tell there was no post there explaining how to reset the prefs.

Please advice.

-Thomas
                    • 7. Re: Missing project presets?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      Thomas,

Because of the number of versions of PE, some of the info is contained in the other versions' FAQs. This can be a little confusing, when one has, say PE7, and needs to find other info, but it is covered in the FAQs for the earlier versions.

Personally, I'd say that a good starting place would be to go the earliest FAQ and give it a good read. Move on to the next, and so on.

There is a wealth of info, and most of it is not version-specific, so you will not be wasting your time.

As for the limitations of the trial versions, I have no experience, as I have never had any of these for any Adobe program. I know that in CS2-CS4 Premiere Pro, all MPEG functions were disabled in the trial. The reason for this was because of licensing restrictions. These were fully functional in the full versions, when one bought the program. I am not sure about any Functional Content (Adobe's term for presets, templates, etc.) in any of the trial versions. Maybe somebody else can fill us both in on that. The trials are also limited to 30 days, but then Adobe offers a 30 day money-back policy for the purchase of any of their programs. There, I know that you'll get the full version, though if you buy on-line, you may have two different and separate downloads and installs.

Hunt