9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2008 2:20 AM by (Doug_Moss)

Lost Narration

After selecting a slide show, adding a narration at the beginning on the first slide and then music on the rest, I realised I had too many slides. I then selected the first 100 slides to send to PE3. I completed the burning process by sending the slide show to my hard drive. I used nero 7 ultra to durn the DVD. To my amazement I had lost the narration? Why did the narration at the beginning of the slide show disappear? It works when I select an entire slide show. Thanks Doug Moss
        • 1. Re: Lost Narration
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          "I realised I had too many slides. I then selected the first 100 slides to send to PE3."

I'm not sure what you mean by this, Doug. What does having too many slides have to do with sending to PE3. And by "PE3" do you mean Photoshop Elements or Premiere Elements 3?

Without knowing specifically what you're doing, it's hard to tell what's going on.

Are you working in Sceneline mode? Switch to Timeline mode and you'll have a better idea what's going on.
          • 2. Re: Lost Narration
            Barb__O Level 4
            >selecting a slide show, adding a narration at the beginning on the first slide

>I then selected the first 100 slides to send to PE3

I agree with Steve's question that we need to know more about exactly what you did for sending those first 100 slides to PE3 (I am guessing that you meant Premiere Elements 3).

Perhaps you selected those 100 photo thumbnails within the PSE Organizer and then did a Send to Premiere Elements to send the 100 photos to Premiere Elements 3?

>Why did the narration at the beginning of the slide show disappear? It works when I select an entire slide show

For this, I suspect that you are sending the entire slide show to Premiere Elements 3 either by doing the Send to Premiere Elements from within the PS Elements slide show editor OR by selecting the single icon for the slide show creation in the Organizer and then sending to Premiere Elements.

My suspicion is that the difference is that when you are sending the slide show that will include your audio narration BUT when you are sending the 100 photo files (as photo files) the audio narration is not included.

Some additional questions -

1- Did you save that Narration done at the first slide as an Audio Caption for that photo? If you did, you should see an audio symbol superimposed on top of the thumbnail for that photo.

2- Are you running Photoshop Elements 5? Is it Windows XP?

3- Can you find the audio file of the narration on your hard drive? The file name of the narration might be the same as the photo file name if you had set if to be saved as an audio caption.
            • 3. Re: Lost Narration
              Level 1
              I run vista with sp1 on 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 duo and 4Mb RAM.
              "too many slides": When I send 388 resized slides (960x720) from Photoshop Elements 5 (PSE5) to Photoshop Premiere elements 3 (PE3). PE3 stops working. My procedure was: create slide show > select slide preferences > add narration to first slide > add music-making sure music files starts a slide 2 > Select first 100 slides > select movie file > DVD PAL > send to PE3.
              In PE3 I have been using timeline.
              I am sending the first 100 slides of 388 (which includes slide 1 with the narration)from slide show to to PE3 using PS elements slide show editor.
              I save the narration done for the first slide as an Audio caption for photo 1. The first slide has the microphone icon in the bottom right hand corner.
              The audio narration is located in Music > Adobe > SlideshowNarrationFile-14
              Thanks for the prompt replies Doug Moss
              • 4. Re: Lost Narration
                Barb__O Level 4
                >SlideshowNarrationFile-14

Is this a .wav file?
                Also, is your music file that starts at slide 2 present on the Premiere Elements timeline ?

>vista with sp1 probably 32 bit Vista? And you probably have the Vista support patches for both PSE 5 and PRE 3?
                Steve posted this FAQ about optimizing Vista
                http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc448a7

>PE3 stops working

Do you mean that it just "hangs"?
                Others may have more ideas - for now I will ask -
                -- What did the PSE slide show editor show as the duration of the entire slide show?
                -- One or multiple hard drives and how much free space on each? How recently was the hard drive defragged?

>I am sending the first 100 slides of 388 (which includes slide 1 with the narration)from slide show to to PE3 using PS elements slide show editor.

I am thinking about this - I don't think I have ever attempted to send PART of a slide show from the PSE slide show editor to Premiere Elements. I have created multiple separate slide shows in the PSE slide show editor and separately sent each one to Premiere Elements, which added the most recently sent slide show to the end of the Timeline.
                • 5. Re: Lost Narration
                  Level 1
                  The narration is a WAV file. The music file that starts at slide 2 is present on the Premiere Elements time line. I have Vista support patches for both PSE 5 and PRE3. It is vista 32 bit.
                  PRE 3 stops responding when I try to add the 388 slide show. Duration for the 388 Slides show on the elements slide show editor is 45 Minutes.
                  Barb, I thought I could save some time by just sending part of the slide show to PRE 3, instead to preparing 2 new reduced slide shows. So you can image my surprise when the Music file overrode the narration file. I can also add that the narration was 33 seconds long and I was further surprised when this first slide stayed on for 33 seconds with only music as background.

Doug Moss
                  • 6. Re: Lost Narration
                    Barb__O Level 4
                    >I can also add that the narration was 33 seconds long and I was further surprised when this first slide stayed on for 33 seconds with only music as background.

My experience was that in the PSE slide show editor the duration of the slide on which the narration was done is automatically changed to the duration of the narration. So the duration of the first slide is 33 seconds and it seems that the basic problem here is that when you select part (the first 100 slides) and send it to Premiere Elements,

-- the narration file is missing from the Premiere Elements timeline
                    -- and as a result the music "moves over" and starts at the beginning of the first slide where the narration should have been

>I thought I could save some time by just sending part of the slide show to PRE 3

I do not know if this sending part of a slide show from the PSE 5 slide show editor to Premiere Elements 3 is a function that is supported. I have never seen it discussed.

AS A WORKAROUND, have you considered

After you send the partial slide show (100 slides) to PRE, manually add the .wav file of the narration to the audio track on the Premiere Elements timeline in front the the existing music audio?

Question
                    What happens with the music between slides 100 and 101? Does a new music piece start at slide 101?
                    • 7. Re: Lost Narration
                      Level 1
                      Barb, Thanks for your persistence in trying to solve my problem.
                      My wife reminded me of something she noticed when viewing the finished show. The last slide (No.100) of the first half was missing some music at the end. The next slide (101) started with music.
                      It was as you said the music has move forward erasing the narration.
                      After some deliberation I have decided to just select the optimum number of slides that my system can handle and join the sections using nero. I would have thought 388 slides (45 Minutes) would have been OK.
                      Questions: Would it help if I turn off Nortons 360 and vista Sidebar?
                      Would an upgrade help?
                      Thanks again for your help Doug Moss
                      • 8. Re: Lost Narration
                        Barb__O Level 4
                        > I would have thought 388 slides (45 Minutes) would have been OK.

Since you have said that you downsized the photo files, you are in the range where some other people have posted on the forums that they have been successful. However, you may be near the upper range of what people have done successfully within a single Premiere Elements project containing all photos. Sometimes people do break their projects apart, do multiple partial projects and then combine in to one final project.

Whether people succeed in the range of 300 - 400 downsized slides does seem to be dependent on the resources of their system. One very significant factor can be the amount of defragmented disk space that is available. I don't recollect that you posted your hard drive configuration and the currently available space.

>Would it help if I turn off Nortons 360 and vista Sidebar?

Probably yes.
                        However, amount of hard drive space would probably still be a significant consideration.

>Would an upgrade help?

I don't know because I don't have any comparisons.

Narration -
                        We have noticed that the Narration file does not act "properly". I don't really know how significant a factor this was in your problems for this slide show. It would be interesting if you want to try - to -- create a new slide show in Photoshop Elements using only that one slide which has the narration and choose the PSE slide show option to use the audio caption of the photo.
                        -- Do not have a Premiere Elements project open. Then send that one slide (with narration) to Premiere Elements and use a different project name.
                        -- What do you see on the Premiere Elements timeline? How does it play?

Future slide shows -
                        Next time you do a slide show, I would suggest making smaller partial slide shows in Photoshop Elements. You can split apart a slide show in Photoshop Elements: however, the handling of the music does become more complex when you attempt to split within one piece of music.
                        • 9. Re: Lost Narration
                          Level 1
                          Barb, I tried your suggestion by just selecting the first slide. To do this, I found that I had to delete all other slide which allowed me to just capture the one slide. I then noticed the music left moved to the front of this slide blocking out the narration. I deleted all the music: Still no narration! The program doesn't like what I am trying to do. So, I will follow your suggestion by choosing the optimum number of slides for encoding and finally joining the segments with Nero.
                          Thanks for all your help

Doug Moss