6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2008 9:24 AM by (cliff_spitser)

Import Video into PE4 from existing DVD

Level 1
      I have a DVD of my son's wedding done be a professional videographer. He has a main menu and a scene menu. One choise on the main menu is "wedding summary" This plays a video that is highlights of the main video with the ambient audio replaced with music, and a lot of transitions. I want to "capture" this section into PE4 and then create a very short extract that I can put up on you tube to send to some family and friends. I contatinated all of the VOB files on the DVD using the command prompt and the copy/b x + y technique that I got from muvipix and brought them in to PE4, but I don't get the video that was on that main menu selection. How can I do this? I wish I could just play the DVD and then hit an "export" button.

Cliff
        • 1. Re: Import Video into PE4 from existing DVD
          the_wine_snob Level 9
          Cliff,

You will not be able to directly Capture the video & audio. You will need to either try Get Media and point to the VOB on the DVD, or convert the VOB(s) with other software.

Some have luck with copying the VOB to HDD and then re-naming it .MPG. If the case of a full DVD, this might work, or maybe not. There are several 3rd party applications to dissect the structure of the DVD.

Hunt
          • 2. Re: Import Video into PE4 from existing DVD
            Level 1
            Bill,

What are the third party software choices?

Cliff
            • 3. Re: Import Video into PE4 from existing DVD
              Paul_LS Level 4
              "but I don't get the video that was on that main menu selection"...

... did you download all the vobs with the command prompt copy? You need to also download the VIDEO_TS.VOB file, this contains the video for the title menu. A third party software wont help you, it may be more convienient but that is all.
              • 4. Re: Import Video into PE4 from existing DVD
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                Video Re-do is one, and DVD-Decrypter (now since banned, but possibly available with some major searching?) is another.

Do follow Paul's suggestion first, though. It might, or might not, be possible to break everything out into neat, editable pieces.

Also remember that the Assets were Transcoded to MPEG-2 to burn the DVD. You will be working with that compressed format, and if going to another DVD, re-compressing it again. Quality WILL take a hit, but sometimes, one only has certain Assets, with which to work.

If you do get your Project broken apart, I'd suggest doing a conversion to DV-AVI outside of PE. It will speed things up and eliminate some potential problems. I use Digital Media Converter (shareware from Deskshare) for this, but there are several freeware programs mentioned in the FAQ and used extensively by forum members.

Hunt
                • 5. Re: Import Video into PE4 from existing DVD
                  Robert J. Johnston Level 2
                  Is it possible that there are two or more titles concatenated in the same file and that you can't access the second or subsequent titles beyond the first title. You can only concatenate VOBs from the same titleset.

VTS_01_1.vob + VTS_01_2.vob is the first titleset.
                  VTS_02_1.vob + VTS_02_2.vob is a second titleset.
                  VTS_03_1.vob + VTS_03_3.vob is the third titleset.

Haven't tried it, but just a thought.
                  • 6. Re: Import Video into PE4 from existing DVD
                    Level 1
                    Thanks to all of you for your help. I had made a stupid mistake. The material I was looking for was, in fact, in a different title set. I just overlooked that vob. I brought it into PE4 and it worked fine.

Thanks again,

Cliff