7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2009 9:20 AM by (kodebuster)

Premiere Elements 7

I'm just getting to grips with Premiere Elements 7. Sometimes, when editing video captured on an N96, the audio is out of sync with the video - most visible when doing interviews. Am I making a very basic mistake, and if not, is there a solution?

Thanks
        • 1. Re: Premiere Elements 7
          Paul_LS Level 4
          What format does it capture in?... this is probably the root of your problem.
          • 2. Re: Premiere Elements 7
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP
            http://www.headbands.com/gspot FREE Gspot to find out what CODEC created a file
            • 3. Re: Premiere Elements 7
              I'm having the same problem with the Nokia N96 - the file format is mp4 and the files play fine using Quicktime, it's only when they are dropped on the timeline the audio gets out of sync.

I'm getting the files in the usual way: Organise > Get Media > PC files and folders.

The PE7 user manual says mp4 files are supported......

Any help will be much appreciated,

Thanks.
              • 4. Re: Premiere Elements 7
                Paul_LS Level 4
                The files are supported but not without some potential issues. The high compression of mp4 files (and similarly highly compressed files) often leads to audio sync issues. Best bet is to cpnvert to DV-AVI before importing into PE7.

If you can play them in Windows Movie Maker without audio sync issues then you can export them as DV-AVI... otherwise try this freeware program:
                http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc4800e
                • 5. Re: Premiere Elements 7
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
                  Well, you're not likely to be able to play MP4s with MovieMaker, unfortunately.

More likely you'll need to purchase Quicktime Pro, $29 from Apple. It will not only convert the MP4s to DV-AVIs or any of a number of other formats, but it also functions as an editor.
                  • 6. Re: Premiere Elements 7
                    Level 1
                    Thanks for the quick response guys.

I'm still a little mystified why this is a problem as the mp4 files work fine in PE on my laptop, but not on my desktop.

We're now going through checking the codecs and versions of Quicktime etc......

I've got some conversion software so can change the file format but I'd rather stick with mp4 - I'm training other people how to use the N96 phones with PE7 and want to make it as simple as possible.

I'm also a little disappointed that Adobe advertise PE as supporting mp4, when clearly it seems there is an issue with that file format......

If anyone else has encountered this problem or has any other suggestions feel free to post below.

Thanks
                    • 7. Re: Premiere Elements 7
                      Level 1
                      Myself, as many have encountered, have had numerious issues with both MP3 and MP4 with various versions of PE.

Many posts will attest to this.

The reasoning for this format having issues is well documented on forums (again with PE).

PE works best with the DV-AVI format because that's the workflow that PE was built around.

So if you want to lower your stress level and be happy, convert to DV-AVI when (and if) strange things start happening with other formats.

Since my camera only downloads to MP3, I religiously convert to DV-AVI with PE, and PE works great on large and complex video projects.

Forget the marketing fluff from Adobe about MP3 being a supported format, because I have yet to experience this...