7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2008 3:22 PM by (R_Buelling)

MPG smart rendering in Adobe Premiere Elements 7?

Hi,

Does anybody know if Adobe Premiere Elements 7 supports smart rendering of MPG files? I have a Sony HDD camcorder (non-HD) and would like to combine clips into longer MPG files without reencoding.

In the past I have used MainConcepts MPEG Elements, but that is not supported anymore (and there were issues with in anyway).

Thanks.

Ralph
        • 1. Re: MPG smart rendering in Adobe Premiere Elements 7?
          VideoJohnny Level 1
          Not supported. Premiere Elements still used the DV-AVI workflow.
          • 2. Re: MPG smart rendering in Adobe Premiere Elements 7?
            Robert J. Johnston Level 2
            I have Mainconcepts MPEG Elements 1.01 installed in PRE 7.

The only thing that I found that doesn't work is capturing. When I want to capture, I disable the plug-in by changing the name of the Mainconcept folder:

C:\program files\common files\mainconcept\MPEG PRO PE

To:

C:\program files\common files\mainconcept\MPEG PRO PE.RJJ

When you disable the Mainconcept Plug-in, you won't be able to edit any projects that were created with a Mainconcept project preset. Well, actually you can, but PRE puts the project in "Desktop" mode.

There is a registry entry that the Mainconcept Plug-in uses during installation to determine which version of Premiere Elements the plug-in is intalled in and which version can use the plug-in.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Premiere Elements\CurrentVersion

ApplicationPath: D:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 7.0\

Plug-InsDir: D:\Program Files\Adobe Premiere Elements 7.0\Plug-ins\en_us

I also have version 2.0 installed and when I want to use Mainconcept Plug-in with 2.0, I edit the registry settings and change 7.0 to 2.0 in the path names.

Smart Rendering does work in PRE 7 when you have the Mainconcept plug-in.

When you start Premiere Elements 7 after installing the plug-in, make sure to hold down the CTRL-ALT-SHIFT keys so the plug-in cache is reset.
            • 3. Re: MPG smart rendering in Adobe Premiere Elements 7?
              Level 1
              Thank you both for the quick replies.

-> Robert: I have had issues with the MainConcept plug-in and Premiere Elements 2.0 for the longest time. I am doing very basic editing (stitching together several MPEG files and cutting off the beginning and end for some of them; no transitions, change of audio etc.). In many of the scene changes a flicker appears when I export the project via MPEG Elements. When I view the output video frame-by-frame it turns out that one or two frames right before or right after the transition are rendered incorrectly (some blocks of the frame are incorrect).

Have you ever had this same issue before (either in 2.0 or 7.0)? If yes: were you able to get it resolved?

Thanks.

Ralph
              • 4. Re: MPG smart rendering in Adobe Premiere Elements 7?
                I'll have to reinstate the MC plugin for version 2 and see if I can see what you were experiencing. Do you recall if the MPEG files you used were Top-field-first or Bottom-field-first as far as interlacing goes? Where these MPEGs ripped from DVDs or just exported from an application as MPEG-2? Or where did these come from?

Sounds like the transition from edited to unedited material might be causing that, as it does in another application I use. I'll report back if I can see what's going on.
                • 5. Re: MPG smart rendering in Adobe Premiere Elements 7?
                  Ralph,

It's there in version 2.0 but not in version 7.0. This is for when you have two mpeg files butted on the timeline. It doesn't seem to happen if you just split a clip and then put a transition on the split.

In version 2.0 the portions of clips involved in the transition have reversed fields, which causes the flicker. For the first half of the transition you see the first frame of the second clip being borrowed, but its fields are reversed. Then in the second half of the transition you see the last frame of the first clip being borrowed but with fields reversed. The remedy is to trim the end of the first clip and the beginning of the second clip by one-half second each, assuming a one second transition that is centered. The other thing you could do is make a split at the beginning and ending of the transition and then use "always deinterlace" on the portion of clips under the transition.
                  • 6. Re: MPG smart rendering in Adobe Premiere Elements 7?
                    Paul_LS Level 4
                    I have always gotten this blockiness for a few frames at cuts when I trim clips (not all cuts but most). It is most notceable with high definition. The way to avoid it is to render the section by putting a transition at the cut... a simple cross dissolve for example, when this section is rendered the blociness is removed.
                    • 7. Re: MPG smart rendering in Adobe Premiere Elements 7?
                      Level 1
                      Paul, Robert,
                      Thanks for the quick responses. I will try upgrading to v7 to see if that solves the issue. Otherwise I will either trim the clips or use transitions.
                      Thanks again.
                      Ralph