6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2008 9:06 AM by (MIchael_Rubell)

Changed My Drive

I recently changed the drive letter for the external drive I was doing all the work for my project from "E" to "X". It appears I can still edit, but I can't see the actual clips in the organizer. The settings seem to have changed (i.e., for the scratch and saving) but I can't figure out how to do that for the organizer. Any help would be so appreciated.

By the way, I'm working in PE7

Thanks,
      Michael
        • 1. Re: Changed My Drive
          Level 1
          If you could not identify from organize then check teh files in project window.
          • 2. Re: Changed My Drive
            Level 1
            Hi Ookken,
            Thanks for the suggestion. Here's the fanale on my saga...
            I finally called Adobe Tech support. They determined there was a corrupted catalog file, so we renamed the old file and then when I opened PE7 or Photoshop 7 it created a new album and then I found media and it seems to be working OK now.

Thanks again for your suggestion!
            Be well,
            Michael
            • 3. Re: Changed My Drive
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              Michael,

As you found out, it's usually going to be a rough road, if one changes the drive letter in the middle of a Project. I use a lot of external drives with both the Project and Assets on them. I have the drive letter of each set to the same in each machine's OS, that I use. If I plug, say Y:\ into my laptop, I have it set to "Y:\" in the OS. If I take it to one of my workstations, I have it set to "Y:\" in the OS for each of those. This is OS dependent. If you do not set it the same in each copy of XP (my case), a new letter will be assigned from the available ones, and all sorts of grief can ensue.

Good luck,

Hunt
              • 4. Re: Changed My Drive
                Level 1
                Hi Hunt,
                Thanks - a lesson learned. That's why I named it my X: drive. I plan on keeping it as that no matter how many additional drives I get.
                Take care,
                m
                • 5. Re: Changed My Drive
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  Michael,

That is a good idea. Just remember to set it to X:\ in the OS of every machine, if it is an external.

I have a bunch of 2TB Maxtors that I move around quite a bit, and they are W:\ thru Z:\. Since I have one workstation, that has B:\ thru K:\ internally, I did as you, and went to the end of the alphabet.

Hope all goes smoothly from here on,

Hunt
                  • 6. Re: Changed My Drive
                    Level 1
                    Hunt,
                    Thanks again (and to all) for your input. I've been on this forum for 3 days and have already learned so much!
                    m