1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 1, 2008 2:30 PM by Steve Grisetti

Premier Elements 2.0 / Cruise Project

Just returned from an eleven day Eastern Med. Cruise- Rome; Athens; Rhodes; Ephesus etc with six hours of mini-tapes recorded on my Panasonic NV-GS70. I need to edit down to an acceptable level within the limitations of PE2; my computer; and myself (think level 2 of 5. Any advice on how best to approach a project of this size. Do I split it into a number of seperate projects and perhaps there is a way of exporting the Timeline of each, to one Timeline only project. From experience, I fear "must closedown" and "opening recovery projects" messages. I do not want to invest extended time and effort only to find I must abandon the project for one reason or another. Guidelines of any kind would be appreciated.

My computer is a Dell Vostro 200. I have 330GB free on my "C-drive" and 3GB RAM. My op.sy. is Windows XP Prof. v2002 with Adobe Premier Elements 2.0.
      Many thanks in anticipation of your effort.
      John Fitzgerald
        • 1. Re: Premier Elements 2.0 / Cruise Project
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          I'd recommend working on your project in pieces. In fact, I'd even recommend working on the pieces in pieces.

I know you have 6 hours of video -- but how long do you anticipate your final video will run? My rule of thumb is that an audience's patience with even the most beautiful home movies is about 45 minutes. And, yes, it was difficult to cut away 4 hours of our Italy trip to 45 minutes -- but, in the end, it's a joy to watch, it's packed full of wonderful things, and there's not an ounce of fat on it! But, best of all, it tells the whole story. I've rarely gone back to the cut out footage.

(If you'd like, you can see a clip of it here: http://www.chuckengels.com/PremierVideo/GrisettiFilms/video/Mozzate.wmv )

That said, I tend to work on my videos in 10-15 minute segments. Like chapters. And then I export each segment as a DV-AVI (File/Export/Movie), combining the chapters into a master mix.

This method allows you to focus on a manageable story element without having to try to tell the whole story in one bite. It also minimizes stress on the computer's resources. If you're running XP SP3 with all the updates and you've got a clean, defragmented hard drive with lots of room, you should be able to edit using this method and never fear a crash or lockup in version 2.