7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2008 11:12 AM by Steve Grisetti

How do I save a video after editing it?

Level 1
      I just opened up an mp4 file, trimmed it and now wish to save the edited video. However, it seems I'm only able to save the Adobe project file and not the actual video itself. If 'export' is what I'm supposed to do, how do I export it as an mp4 file, the same format it's already in?

Thanks
        • 1. Re: How do I save a video after editing it?
          the_wine_snob Level 9
          Ghanpoh,

It really depends on what it is, exactly, that you wish to do. There are basically four ways to "save."

1.) As you note, Save, Save_As and Save_as_a_Copy are for saving the Project file ONLY. I posted an article here on the differences amongst the three and why one would choose one over the others.

2.) Archiver - this is accessed from the Toolbar and can "save" the Project with the media files in a couple of forms. This is used when a Project is complete, and one wishes to clear their HDD, but wants an "archived" copy of the Project with all media, in case they have to come back to it later.

3.) Export - this is used to send the edited media to an AV file for play, distribution, etc. It is limited in formats, but is the quickest way to, well "export" you edited file (or part of it, using the WAB [Work Area Bar] to an AV file. Export>Movie is probably the most common.

4.) Share - similar to Export, this is used when on is going to "export" the edited file to another medium, usually a "streaming" medium, like the Web, but also offers a myriad of other formats, like WMV (many flavors), or MOV (again, many flavors).

The choice will be based on what the editor needs and wishes.

Please tell us what you wish to do with your edited material, and someone can suggest the best method for you.

Good luck,

Hunt
          • 2. Re: How do I save a video after editing it?
            Level 1
            Thanks for the help Bill. What I'm looking to do is simply edit a scene out of an mp4 video and then save the video exactly as it is after the update, without having to convert it to another format. I want it to remain as an mp4 file minus the scene I deleted.
            • 3. Re: How do I save a video after editing it?
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
              Because of the way Premiere Elements works with files, Granpoh, I'd recommend you look into a different program, if that's what you want to do.

Quicktime Pro from Apple ($29) will do exactly what you want to do -- and it will do it without taking it through an AVI in the process, as Premiere Elements does. Much more efficient and less prone to challenges.
              • 4. Re: How do I save a video after editing it?
                Level 1
                Thanks Steve. That's unfortunate. I paid so much for this software.
                :(
                • 5. Re: How do I save a video after editing it?
                  Well, it's not that it's not great software. It's just about having the best tool for the job.

But sorry you didn't know that in advance, Granpoh.
                  • 6. Re: How do I save a video after editing it?
                    Its strange, the help says it will share/export in mp4 format, but i can't <br />find it anywhere in the menus<br /><br />Mark<br /><br /><br /><br /><Granpoh@adobeforums.com> wrote in message <br />news:59b728f2.3@webcrossing.la2eafNXanI...<br />> Thanks Steve. That's unfortunate. I paid so much for this software.<br />> :(
                    • 7. Re: How do I save a video after editing it?
                      A couple of ways.

The simplest is to choose Share and the option for Devices. The iPod and iPhone options (listed as using the H.264 codec) will output MP4s.