11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2008 11:13 AM by the_wine_snob

Ending a movie in Premiere Elements 7

Premiere Elements 7:

How do I end my movie without the extra 10 minutes of blackspace that shows up everytime I render it?

My movie has video clips, slides, and transitions. I never put a formal ending on it, I just stopped dragging material into the sceneline. Once I render a 30 minute video, roughly 15 extra minutes of black space show up. How do I tell Premiere Elements 7 to end the movie?

Thanks,
      Ben
        • 1. Re: Ending a movie in Premiere Elements 7
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          The Work Area Bar must be stretched beyond your movie.

Try double-clicking on the heavier, lighter colored bar that runs along the top of your timeline. That will snap it to the length of your movie. (Press the \ key to see your whole movie on the timeline.)

If it still extends beyond your movie, you've got some extra frames of video floating around out there. Drag to lasso whatever is out there and then press Delete.
          • 3. Re: Ending a movie in Premiere Elements 7
            Level 1
            Alright,

Clips end at about 34 minutes, gray snapline goes to 45 minutes.

I looked for extraneaous video/audio and found a couple but I don't understand how to delete them. When I drag the gray snapline back to where I would like the movie to end and press delete, it doesn't stop the movie there. It still plays to 45 minutes. I guess I don't understand what to click on and drag before pressing delete.

Could you please go into further detail on how to "Drag to lasso and then press Delete"?

Thank-you so much!
            • 4. Re: Ending a movie in Premiere Elements 7
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              Ben,

I'll wager that you have a tiny Clip, maybe just one frame out there past the end of you movie.

Hit the "\" key to zoom out to the entire Timeline. You *should* be able to see that there is a gap from what you think is your last Clip and this "orphan." This can happen for a bunch of reasons.

I always step through my Timeline with the Home, End, PageUp and PageDown to check for gaps, and also for orphans.

Hit your End key and see where it takes you. I speculate that it'll be a tiny piece, that is detached from the other Clips in the Timeline. Delete it, and then hit PageUp to go to the real end. It that what you intend as your ending?

Hunt
              1 person found this helpful
              • 5. Re: Ending a movie in Premiere Elements 7
                To lasso those stray clips, you have to hold down the button drag your mouse over the entire "empty" area of your timeline, beyond your movie. When you so, you'll see some clips highlighted that you've lassoed. Then just press Delete.

I'm not sure how else to describe it, unfortunately.
                • 6. Re: Ending a movie in Premiere Elements 7
                  Level 1
                  I've found the stray clips, but when I click on them and press delete, nothing happens. I press end and it keeps going to the bad end, I haven't fixed anything.

I tried dragging the gray timeline button over the entire empty area and pressing delete and that also doesn't help.

I have clicked and dragged and pressed delete on everything in the timeline and nothing helps.

How can I delete these clips?
                  • 7. Re: Ending a movie in Premiere Elements 7
                    I don't know what more to tell you, Ben. You just lasso them and press Delete. (Don't click on them after you lasso them.)
                    • 8. Re: Ending a movie in Premiere Elements 7
                      Ed.Macke Level 3
                      Ben,

Can you right-mouse click on the clips, and delete them that way?

Or, have you tried clicking on the gray area between what you want to be the last clip and these problem stray clips, and saying "delete and close gap"? At least that would put the clips in one contiguous area to make them easier to see.

Also, maybe zoom in to 100% to see the clips, use page up / page down to navigate between clips? Sometimes I've had a clip that was one frame long and nearly impossible to see.

Also, gurus, is there any reason PRE wouldn't allow a clip to be deleted? Some sort of dependency on a transition... something like that?
                      • 9. Re: Ending a movie in Premiere Elements 7
                        Level 1
                        Sounds good, Thank-you for your help!
                        • 10. Re: Ending a movie in Premiere Elements 7
                          I know of no reason a clip could not be deleted from a timeline, Ed.
                          • 11. Re: Ending a movie in Premiere Elements 7
                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                            I am stumped, as well, especially as PE doesn't allow one to "lock" a Track, or anything similar. It should be an easy process to select, and then delete the offending Clips. If the Lasso does not work, try Rt-clicking the Clip and choosing Clear (I think that is the proper syntax for deleting in PE and not storing the Clip in the Clipboard). If not Clear (the term in P-Pro, then look for Delete).

One observation that I have made, as to a possible cause for these tiny Clips, is that if one drags a Clip to abut to another Clip, with Snap On, and you drag too far (basically banging the moved Clip against the previous Clip), you can locate the moved Clip INTO the previous one, cutting of a frame, or two. These will then automatically go to the end of the Timeline, without any warning, or notification. Then, as you tighten things up on the Timeline they remain orphaned and can be quite a ways from the actual Clips, depending on how much editing one does. The trick is to drag the Clip (the one being moved) until you see the thick black line. It now butts up to the previous Clip. Let it go now and do not drag it into the previous Clip, or you'll get those orphans. Now, they *should* be easy to delete, if you remember to go looking for them. Always check the Time Code of your (intended) Clip with the Time Code for the Duration of your Timeline. They should match frame for frame. Otherwise, you've got an orphan problem.

Hunt