18 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2009 2:12 PM by Steve Grisetti

Error: unsupported format or damaged file/ one of the necessary components may not have been install

I am having alot of trouble adding files to Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0 that I have saved from a you tube video. When I try to add the media, the box comes up and says adding media...

Then another pops up and says "Error: unsupported format or damaged file/ one of the necessary components may not have been install..." it is cut off just like that with the three dots.

I have read about the formats that can be imported into the program (Adobe Premiere Elements), and have changed the file to several names that I read worked in my program. I'm pretty sure the file format is not the problem.

I don't know if the file is damaged or not. I have tried different files that I have down loaded and it says the same thing. I don't think all these files would all be damaged, but I don't know.

I'm thinking that the problem is that I'm missing a necessary component. I think it has to do with the codec that is being used (I don't know anything about codecs or what I need to do to get the right one). What is my problem?