8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2008 10:49 AM by Steve Grisetti

Jumpy, double-image on DVD copy using PE4

I am trying to use Premiere Elements 4.0 to copy an existing DVD (not copy protected) of someone riding a horse. I used PE to select the sequence on the original DVD, added a title, and then burned a new DVD. When I view the new DVD on a television, just like I would view a commercial movie, the motion of both the horse and the background fences is jumpy. Its difficult to describe, but while the original DVD shows very smooth motion, the new one almost looks as if there is a double-image in the horizontal direction, like a ghost. This seems particularly bad on a fence post it looks like a double image.

I repeated the entire copy project, this time taking note of the settings. When I started the new project, I verified that the settings were correct: NTSC-DV-Standard 48 kHz. The new copy had the same problem.

I thought maybe the clip copied by PE was under sampling the video. I checked the size of the clip in the PE folder, and compared the size on the original DVD, and they were very close, at about 125 MB.

For playback, I am using a Sony DVD player (model DVP-NS75H) and a Toshiba television (model 34HFX83). I am using the S-video connections between the DVD player and the TV. The TV screen has a 16:9 format, while the DVD is 4:3, and I thought maybe the problem was that the TV expands the video to fill the full width of the TV screen. However, when I reset the TV to play the DVD with a 4:3 format, the same problem persists.

I am running PE on a PC with Windows XP SP3. I have an AMD Athlon 64X2Dual processor, 2.2 GHz, with 1 GB RAM.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions on how to improve the quality of the copy.

Thanks!

Dr. Rock
        • 1. Re: Jumpy, double-image on DVD copy using PE4
          Paul_LS Level 4
          Did you apply Reverse Field Dominance to the clips on the timeline? Right click a clip, Field Options, Reverse Field Dominance.
          http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bbebe4f
          • 2. Re: Jumpy, double-image on DVD copy using PE4
            Level 1
            Hello Paul LS,

You were exactly correct in how to fix this problem. Having followed your advice on reversing the field dominance, a new copy is just as "smooth" as the original.

Thank you very much!

Dr. Rock
            • 3. Re: Jumpy, double-image on DVD copy using PE4
              Paul_LS Level 4
              Glad to hear you got it fixed.
              • 4. Re: Jumpy, double-image on DVD copy using PE4
                Level 1
                Paul LS,

I hope you can answer a follow-up question. As I said earlier, your response was just what was needed to fix that problem.

I have continued to work on video projects, and I have encountered a new problem. The symptoms are identical to what I described on December 6. However, in this case, I cannot make the "jumpiness" go away either with, or without, reversing field dominance. I have burned DVDs with each option, and they are both "jumpy."

Is there another cause of the jumpiness? Are there types of video files that cannot be fixed with reversing field dominance? Suppose someone burned a DVD without knowing about reversing field dominance, and the jumpiness were burned into the clip. Then if I wanted to copy that clip, is it possible for me to make the correction in my editing, or is that possibility no longer available once the first person failed to make the correction? Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rock
                • 5. Re: Jumpy, double-image on DVD copy using PE4
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
                  It depends a lot on the source of the video files.

Some codecs (such as those used for video from still camera or from cheaper camcorders like the Flip model) simply won't work when used in their native state in Premiere Elements and need to be converted to a more editable format first.
                  • 6. Re: Jumpy, double-image on DVD copy using PE4
                    Paul_LS Level 4
                    You could try the "Always Deinterlace" option in the Field Order options. This should eliminate any interlacing issue... but on an interlaced TV you will lose some quality/resolution.
                    • 7. Re: Jumpy, double-image on DVD copy using PE4
                      Level 1
                      Paul LS,

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it, and overall I like it much better than before. It turns out that the original clip had somewhat poor resolution to start with, so the relative impact of the deinterlacing isnt that big of a problem.

Thanks again!

grisetti steve,

How can I convert the codec of an existing clip? Do I have to know what the initial codec is? Is there some kind of conversion tool that can start with almost any initial codec and convert it into a desired specific output format, such as avi? In other words, can I tell the tool, "I don't know what the initial codec is, but I want the final codec to be avi -- find a way to do it."

Thanks.
                      • 8. Re: Jumpy, double-image on DVD copy using PE4
                        Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
                        There are a number of great converters out there.

If your file will play in Windows Media Player, you can convert it to a DV-AVI with Windows MovieMaker.
                        http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc247e2

Otherwise, Super will convert most files to DV-AVIs.
                        http://www.erightsoft.net/SUPER.html