13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2008 2:01 PM by (Robert_Velds)

PRE7 out of memory?

Level 1
      Hardware Quadcore 2.4Ghz, 4 Gb memory (I know plm 3.2), and Vista home premium 32b. (For the time being I assume...)

1. The first warning was "running low on system memory". Be cautious and save your project. So I did (due to earlier experiences my automatic save is 5 minutes)

2. Then during rendering a AVCHDclip on the timeline "error compiling movie, out of memory".

3. I tried to go further but Vista came with the following message (not PRE7, because it was in Dutch, the language of the operating system):
      "Adobe Premiere Elements.exe does not fuction any more. There was a problem causing the program has stopped.
      The program will be shut down and you will be informed when a solution is available"
      I think it makes more sense to go to this forum than wait for a mail of Bill G.

BTW no other programs were open, all the "nice" things of Vista are disabled apart from the side bar.

I'm fighting 2 wars now, one with Vista and one with PRE7. The one with PRE7 I don''t want to loose!

Rob
        • 1. Re: PRE7 out of memory?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          How long is your video project?

And is your project set up as a AVCHD project?

And have you optimized Vista, per the FAQs at the top of this forum?
          http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc448a7
          • 2. Re: PRE7 out of memory?
            Level 1
            The length of the project is still unknown. The timeline is currently on 11 minutes.
            The projectfile on disk is 7Mb and in my project bin are almost 390 clips ready for usage. So far only used 45 plus titles and some pictures.
            The Speed index of my machine is 5.9
            Opening the project (after 9 minutes loading) started with an error message "DISK WRITE ERROR". Verify drive connections, available disk space and access privileges. The save, close and relaunch the project.
            Yes indeed, again 9 minutes...
            The only ting I could think of, was to share the disk so I did. (external USBdisk with plenty of space.)
            After 10 minutes the old message appeared again "PRE is very low on system memory etc". (acc to task manager 2.3Gb memory usage)
            After a minute or so my screen turned to white (say 60% opacity) and I closed down via task manager".

I think I did my best to follow the rules to free up as many as possible resources.
            I closed down the side bar too and read the above link.
            I think I'm more then halfway towards XP.... At the end of the day my hobby was video editing, not windows....

Rob
            • 3. Re: PRE7 out of memory?
              Paul_LS Level 4
              It may be the 390 clips in your project bin.. are they all AVCHD? I would break your project into smnaller sub-projects and just have the clips that you intend to use in the project bin.
              • 4. Re: PRE7 out of memory?
                Level 1
                Yes, they are all AVCHD and I broke the project already in smaller parts. Not small enough probably. Sometimes PRE7 shuts down without a warning. Only the message it has stopped working.
                AVCHD was the future they told, for the time being I feel living in a far history (even before premiere 4 in 1996).
                I would like to see other experiences on this forum.

Rob
                • 5. Re: PRE7 out of memory?
                  Level 1
                  Robert, the disk write error is pretty scary - have you done a full disk <br />check recently? Is it possible that PE7 is attempting to write temporary <br />files to your USBdisk? I don't know how fast it is but I suspect that USB <br />drives are pretty slow compared to IDE/SATA drives.<br /><br />System speed of 5.9 is plenty fast enough (wish I had that). You might also <br />check the Windows pagefile settings, they can be set way too small and <br />programs that use large amounts of memory dog the system to a crawl. <br />Assuming Vista, go to control-panel, system, advanced system settings. Click <br />the settings button in the performance section, then select the advanced <br />tab. Finally click the change button in the Virtual memory section (easy to <br />find isn't it :-)<br /><br />What you want is to have the paging file set to "System Managed Size" and to <br />make sure its on a fast disk (usually C:) , not a USB drive.<br /><br />Hope that helps!<br />Mark<br /><br /><br /><Robert_Velds@adobeforums.com> wrote in message <br />news:59b73351.1@webcrossing.la2eafNXanI...<br />> The length of the project is still unknown. The timeline is currently on <br />> 11 minutes.<br />> The projectfile on disk is 7Mb and in my project bin are almost 390 clips <br />> ready for usage. So far only used 45 plus titles and some pictures.<br />> The Speed index of my machine is 5.9<br />> Opening the project (after 9 minutes loading) started with an error <br />> message "DISK WRITE ERROR". Verify drive connections, available disk space <br />> and access privileges. The save, close and relaunch the project.<br />> Yes indeed, again 9 minutes...<br />> The only ting I could think of, was to share the disk so I did. (external <br />> USBdisk with plenty of space.)<br />> After 10 minutes the old message appeared again "PRE is very low on system <br />> memory etc". (acc to task manager 2.3Gb memory usage)<br />> After a minute or so my screen turned to white (say 60% opacity) and I <br />> closed down via task manager".<br />><br />> I think I did my best to follow the rules to free up as many as possible <br />> resources.<br />> I closed down the side bar too and read the above link.<br />> I think I'm more then halfway towards XP.... At the end of the day my <br />> hobby was video editing, not windows....<br />><br />> Rob
                  • 6. Re: PRE7 out of memory?
                    Level 1
                    Yes all the (temp) files are written to the USB disk in the project directory. This is much easier after completion (deletion) of the project.
                    The paging file is managed by the system and on C:.
                    Normally the speed of an external USB disk is sufficient.
                    My computer is only a week old, I did not check any disk for errors so far. I'll do this later this week.

I feel pretty uncomfortable Adobe (and probably AVCHD)is driving me into the technics.

Thanks for thinking with me.
                    Rob
                    • 7. Re: PRE7 out of memory?
                      Level 1
                      I have exactly the same problem on a up to date quad core with Vista and 4 Gig of memory. It just crashes during working on projects.

The worst thing is, Adobe Help desk is working on it for 1,5 month now. They just send standard issues to you and never come with a real solution.

PE7 apperantly has a lot of issues. Sony Vegas 8 ran just fine on the same system with AVCHD.
                      • 8. Re: PRE7 out of memory?
                        Level 1
                        I just worked on Pro CS4 with the same project and on the same computer.
                        Every thing works fine ( loading time 2 minutes instead of 8 ) or even better.
                        Of course there are a lot of variables when you work on a project. But I'm beginnig to think Elements is to blame for all this inconveniences....
                        To be clear, I work rather with a good working Elements than with PPro.
                        Rob
                        • 9. Re: PRE7 out of memory?
                          Level 1
                          Robert,

The issue indded is the large number of files in your Project view. The items in Preject view are assumed as would be used in the project and they eat up RAM. With sucha heavy number of files, all the RAM would certainly be used up and would choke your system for further editing. Why don't you remove all extra files and then try again? your system secs are tip-top for High Def editing.Also try and Defrag your disc once.

Thanks
                          Daniel
                          • 10. Re: PRE7 out of memory?
                            Level 1
                            Finding out PPro does the job without any difficulty, the pressure is gone a little from the boiler (as we say here...)
                            All the AVCHD clips in the projectbin were intended to use in the project, so no useless clips there. All the files appearing in the organiser I deleted (spoken about useless RAM usage...).
                            The files in the project bin were related to 1 week of holiday (one of three) but I'm reducing that to 2 days now.
                            These outputs should then be the basis for my BR Disk.
                            Remains strange that 2 programs from the same "mother" show such an incredible difference in behaviour.
                            Oh yes, I started already a new session from scratch, no improvent.

Rob
                            • 11. Re: PRE7 out of memory?
                              Level 1
                              I understand working on a Pro seed would be different as compare to a hobbyist one, which is the reason of difference in behavior of the two app's. Elements is certainly a little feeble as compared to Pro.
                              Good to know that your project is getting its way.
                              • 12. Re: PRE7 out of memory?
                                Level 1
                                I have managed to find a solution for this. The problem doesn't lie with your RAM memory, but with the page files windows makes on your harddrive.

Either the setting in Windows is set too low, or you C: drive (or the drive where Windows puts your page files) is getting a bit full.

The reason is that prerender and other content sometimes gets stored on the harddrive.

Nevertheless, Premiere Elements shouldn't be allowed to crash, and it surely does.
                                Big fail on Adobe's side!
                                • 13. Re: PRE7 out of memory?
                                  Level 1
                                  My C: drive is 460gb of which only 97Gb is used. (Where is the time Windows used only 120 Mb on your disk..) Ontop my swap file is system managed. No swap files for none of the other drives/partitions.
                                  All other (temp) content is written to my project disk. So Rik, I can't imagine we have a problem there.
                                  I started the project in PPro and untill now none of these problems. But to be honest, CS4 is not my thing and I would rather go back to PRE7.
                                  Rob