8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2009 6:21 PM by the_wine_snob

Create split screen scene in PE7

Does anyone know how to divide a video clip in PE7 in such a way that when it is played back it is divided into 2 scenes playing at the same time, one on top of the other?

Thanx!
        • 1. Re: Create split screen scene in PE7
          the_wine_snob Level 9
          John,

Your comment, "one on top of the other," is the key.

There are a couple of ways to do this.

One is to Crop the upper Video Clip (higher Video Track), and then, with Motion>Position, move it about.

Another is to apply a Track Matte to the upper Clip.

Hunt
          • 2. Re: Create split screen scene in PE7
            Level 1
            I'm still a little new at this, but matte appears to just lay one top of the other, if I read the help right. How do you crop a clips size?
            • 3. Re: Create split screen scene in PE7
              Paul_LS Level 4
              Use the Crop Effect from the Video Effects panel.
              • 4. Re: Create split screen scene in PE7
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                John,

Just as Paul states, the Crop Effect (with adjustment of that Effect in the Effects Panel) will probably get you very close. You will likely want to first use Motion>Scale & Position to size and place your Video Track 2 Clip, as needed, then use Crop to finish it off.

With Track Matte, you are close. There, you will want to create a Track Matte on Video Track 3 with a "window." This can be created in Photoshop, or with the Titler (use a rectangular Shape with only Fill, no Stroke). Add the Track Matte Effect to Video Track 2 Clip and link it to the Track Matte on Video Track 3. That Shape becomes the "window" for the Video on Track 2.

Curt Wrigley has a tutorial on using the Track Matte to soften skin tones. In it, he dupes the Video on Track 1 (VT1) and places the copy on VT2. Then he applies a Blur Effect to that, but Mattes it with a created Track Matte on VT3. Read between the lines, and treat your VT2 footage as he does the dupe. Do not apply the Blur (though you can do this to the Track Matte to "soften" the edges, if necessary. I use this, if I want a vertial "split-screen" look, without the hard line between VT1 & VT2.

Tutorial: http://www.wrigleyvideo.com/videotutorial/tutdes_ppro2_smoothface.htm

His tutorial is written for P-Pro 1.5, IIRC, but the main aspect of it will work in PE.

Good luck,

Hunt
                • 5. Re: Create split screen scene in PE7
                  New Improved Chuck Engels Level 1
                  Check out the free tutorial at
                  http://muvipix.com/products.php?subcat_id=42

Clip & Crop Effects - PE4
                  • 6. Re: Create split screen scene in PE7
                    Level 1
                    OH YEAH!!! Thanks guys. Once I figured out the right way to crop, that worked perfect. I was trying to drag the yellow line in the middle of the clip. Then I discovered that show properties for the clip is where I want to be to fine tune everything. You're the best!
                    • 7. Re: Create split screen scene in PE7
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      John,

Using variations on those treatments will allow you to do all sorts of interesting PiP (Picture in Picture) Effects. Depending on what you need, the Crop Effect will likely do the best job, in the simplest of terms. To get more intricate, look into Track Matte Keying. That is one of the beauties of Premiere - you have many ways to achieve the same, or similar, sort of treatment.

Hunt
                      • 8. Re: Create split screen scene in PE7
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

I agree. All of the tutorials and articles on Muvipix will be good ones. It has become a dynamic repository for such info, and it's a great one. It is also a resource for much more, as evidenced by their "Functional Content," Menus, motion backgrounds, music and the rest.

Good call,

Hunt