7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2008 4:36 PM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Elements 7 -- System reboots when trying to install

Level 1
      Bought PE7 today to edit some Christmas Light videos. I put the disc into the DVD drive, the install menu comes up, I click on "Install PE7" and my system immediately shuts down and reboots. Just as if I had clicked "Restart". Running an XP system. Norton AntiVirus was Disabled. All other programs in taskbar were shut down. Any ideas what is going on?

Thanks for your advice. This is a new one for me.

Scott
        • 1. Re: Premiere Elements 7 -- System reboots when trying to install
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          What brand computer? I think I've read in one of the Adobe forums (I read a half dozen) that Acer computers have a pre-installed component that causes problems, and could be other brands as well

Also...
          In the US - Adobe General support 800-833-6687
          In the US - Adobe Install Problems 800-642-3623
          • 2. Re: Premiere Elements 7 -- System reboots when trying to install
            the_wine_snob Level 9
            There are also some instances, where the MS Installer causes problems. MS has released an updated version of MSI (MS Web site), that fixes the issue. I do NOT, however, recall it causing a reboot, only failed installs.

Reboots are often a sign of a systemic problem. These are usually related to heat buildup and a failure in the CPU (or forced shutdown BY the CPU), the power supply or the MoBo.

As John suggests, a bit more info on your system might point to something.

Hunt
            • 3. Re: Premiere Elements 7 -- System reboots when trying to install
              Level 1
              Thanks for the ideas. Here is some more info on my system:

HP Pavilion 753N
              Intel Pentium 4 2.53Ghz
              1 GB Ram
              2 hard drives: one 80GB has 14GB free, another 160GB has 157GB free
              Two 19" LCD displays: one on motherboard's Intel(R) 82845G/GL Graphics Controller and another one on a ATI Technologies, Inc. 3D RAGE PRO PCI.
              Have XP Home editions with Service Pack 2 installed.

The idea of a power problem is interesting, just trying to figure out why it shows up when I click Install?
              • 4. Re: Premiere Elements 7 -- System reboots when trying to install
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
                The first things I'd recommend are an update to XP SP3 and the latest Quicktime.

Also, with only 14 gig of space left on an 80 gig drive, you're really tight on operating space. (Is this a laptop?) I highly recommend that you make sure you've cleared off your junk files and defragged before ou even attempt in install.
                http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc43f9a

Even better if you can clear off more like 20-30 gigs of free space.

With intensive programs like Premiere Elements, a mere 80 gig hard drive with 15 gigs of free space can get cluttered and choke pretty easily!
                • 5. Re: Premiere Elements 7 -- System reboots when trying to install
                  Robert J. Johnston Level 2
                  You may want to have a look at your Startup and Recovery options to see what items have been checked under "System failure." You can get to this going through the Control Panel and then double-clicking the System icon. The System Properties dialog will open up. Click the Advanced tab. On that panel are the settings.

On my computer, Write an event.. and Send an adminstrative... are checked, but Automatically restart is unchecked. If there is a device problem, I get a blue screen with a bunch of information instead of a reboot, but most importantly it tells me the file name of the device driver that is failing. Then I can manually restart my computer and search for that file name in Windows Explorer. By inspecting version information on the Version tab (after right-clicking on the filename and selecting Properties from the pop-up menu), you might be able to tell who the manufacturer is or get a clue as to what product you are dealing with.
                  • 6. Re: Premiere Elements 7 -- System reboots when trying to install
                    Level 1
                    Thanks everyone for your thoughts and ideas. I thought Bill might be on to something with his power idea. I recently installed another hard drive to give me some more space for videos. So got thinking that when the DVD fired up for the install that was too much for the power supply and it crashed. So, I disconnected the new drive -- but that didn't fix it. The system still crashed. And, I could read from the DVD before so something else was happening.

Anyway -- I ended up copying the files from the install DVD to my C: drive and executed the install from there. Everything worked fine. So -- no idea what the real problem was but I worked around it whatever it was. It very well could be something as Robert was suggesting.

Also, as implied by a couple and as I see with my early experience running PRE I am pushing the capabilities of my PC. Might be time for a new one..

Thanks again everyone.

Scott
                    • 7. Re: Premiere Elements 7 -- System reboots when trying to install
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      Scott,

With the Holidays at hand, I'd say that a new "box" will likely yield much easier editing. Maybe sell the idea to your wife, or SO, and offer to put together great DVD's of all that archive footage - hey, works for me! Little is more frustrating, than trying to edit video on an underpowered box.

Glad that the secondary install technique worked.

Hunt