7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2008 8:42 AM by Paul_LS

AVCHD vs AVI

Level 1
      I'm doing my homework before plunging into the HD arena. I've seen alot of concern about editing AVCHD. I have 2 questions:
      1) Is it possible to capture video from an AVCHD camera in the old fashioned way via the 1394 port which would produce an avi file and eliminate editing headaches?
      2) Will an avi file edit produce the same HD quality later as an AVCHD edit would?
        • 1. Re: AVCHD vs AVI
          New Improved Chuck Engels Level 1
          1. No
          2. Probably better due to less compression, although HDV is still very good quality no matter what the format.

Tape based cameras are still used in all professional areas including broadcast television, especially HDV. Tape is the way to go, IMO.
          • 2. Re: AVCHD vs AVI
            Level 1
            Thanks, Chuck, for the speedy reply. From what I've read, it seems the camcorder industry is sacrificing quality picture for compact size. I wonder if AVCHD is here to stay, or just a premature intermediate step that will be regretted later.
            • 3. Re: AVCHD vs AVI
              New Improved Chuck Engels Level 1
              You mean like BETA 8|
              • 4. Re: AVCHD vs AVI
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
                Well, NOTHING is here to stay, in the world of technology. Even the venerable MPEG will no doubt become history when something better comes along.

But there's a lot of integrity in the H.264 codec.
                • 5. Re: AVCHD vs AVI
                  Ozpeter Level 1
                  There are several ways of converting AVCHD clips to other high def formats before editing - specific programs, or using video editing software to do the conversion at the outset. The time taken to convert the instantly-available AVCHD clips kind of equates to the time taken to capture tape based clips, so it's no big deal. You'd have to have an expert eye to tell the difference from the original if the job is done properly.

Also here is a card available that takes the HDMI output from cameras (if presnt) and captures that in the traditional way to whatever formats supported. See http://www.videoguys.com.au/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=2172
                  • 6. Re: AVCHD vs AVI
                    shiskowd Level 1
                    I too am considering wading into the HD world. Sony currently makes 1080P cameras that are HDD or HDV - I'm torn between the convienience of the HDD models and the seemingly more straight forward editing workflow with the HDV/Firewire capture.

What are some specific programs that can convert the AVCHD files into formats that Premiere Elements can manage more readily??
                    • 7. Re: AVCHD vs AVI
                      Paul_LS Level 4
                      See here:
                      http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb403297&sliceId=1

Also AVCHD Upshift here:
                      http://www.vasst.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=1 34&category_id=9&manufacturer_id=2&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=66