2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2008 6:47 AM by (Daniel_Flouch)

Sony AVCHD and general AVCHD editing Advice sought

ruzun Level 1
      I have done all my editing with HDV format source material. I will soon get a Sony SR12 camcorder that records in AVCHD format. That camcorder is capable of recording in either 1920x1080 or 1440x1080 formats, 1440x1080 being similar to HDV but with different compression and a lower bitrate.

1) Can I mix AVCHD and HDV clips fine in Premiere? it seems to not care what the original format the clip is in, as long as it's supported.

2) Am I better off shooting in 1440x1080 with the AVCHD camcorder, or doesnt it matter. practically speaking the actual resolution of the material will be far lower than 1440x1080, that's a theoretical max for sensors and HDV in general, I don't think any consumer camcorders come close to that in real life using a resolution chart. So does it help, practically speaking, to go with 1920x1080 as a shooting resolution. I notice the bitrate is much higher with 1920x1080 so I might get fewer compression artifacts.

3) Has anyone compared the 1440x1080 mode with the 1920x1080 mode on the SR11 or SR12, and does one offer fewer compression artifacts than the other? One is called HD FH I think, and the other HD HQ.
        • 1. Re: Sony AVCHD and general AVCHD editing Advice sought
          Paul_LS Level 4
          You can mix AVCHD and HDV clips, I do this reguarly. Cant really help on the other two questions as I dont own the SR12 and my comcorders only shoot 1440x1080.
          • 2. Re: Sony AVCHD and general AVCHD editing Advice sought
            Level 1
            Roger,

1) Can I mix AVCHD and HDV clips fine in Premiere? it seems to not care what the original format the clip is in, as long as it's supported.
            >> You can certainly mix AVCHD and HDV clips in Premiere. However my remmendation is to shoot with stereo and not 5.1 channel sound. I say so because, you might find it challenging managing AVCHD, HDV, 5.1 channel and stereo sounds at a time in timeline. Though behavior and response of AVCHD and HDV might be similar, though it will get tricky dealing with sounds.

2) Am I better off shooting in 1440x1080 with the AVCHD camcorder, or doesnt it matter. practically speaking the actual resolution of the material will be far lower than 1440x1080, that's a theoretical max for sensors and HDV in general, I don't think any consumer camcorders come close to that in real life using a resolution chart. So does it help, practically speaking, to go with 1920x1080 as a shooting resolution. I notice the bitrate is much higher with 1920x1080 so I might get fewer compression artifacts.
            >> As such the response of Premiere Elements 7 would be similar in both situations and since you are already downsizing the final output, it would not make much of a difference.